Peterson Concern

Cap

I know there have been other threads but seems they are locked.

New Peterson Phoenix Lucite 05 Rusticated .

Smoked two bowls total

First bowl the bowl quickly got hot and i figured maybe because it still needs a good layer built up.
Man that thing got so hot i thought i blistered my thumb and finger.

Let sit for many hours and tried once again. I smoked so slow i kept forgetting i was even smoking a pipe and yet with every draw here came the heat.

It got so hot i tried to hold it for a second and almost let go of it.

Is this normal or a concern I need to get addressed?
Is this a sign it may burnout soon?

My Peterson Christmas doesnt get hot at all.

On a positive note my Savinelli Roma Lucite 614 smokes flawlessly and i do mean flawlessly.

Maybe i am just being a tad too picky but for the price of these things i expected way more.

Thank you for your advice

Ozzy

I can't see how a pipe can get so hot that you would blister your fingers before realizing you might want to set it down. Aren't these pipes rusticated filtered pipes? Almost sounds like user error but it's hard to tell without knowing all the variables. I have some pipes that will get warmer than others but I never had them get that hot.

Bach6032

I can't see how a pipe can get so hot that you would blister your fingers before realizing you might want to set it down. Aren't these pipes rusticated filtered pipes? Almost sounds like user error but it's hard to tell without knowing all the variables. I have some pipes that will get warmer than others but I never had them get that hot.
A few months ago I commented about a large no-name briar pipe that I had (and subsequently sold) that was unique in my collection for becoming hotter than the hinges of hell. Unlike all of my other pipes, this one would get so hot that it was impossible to hold it by the bowl. The walls of that pipe were the thickest of any pipe I have and the grain was what some have termed "bald," i.e., ultra plain with no visible grain. Was it the grain that caused this? The thick walls? Either way, I can feel the [literal] pain that @Cap reported.

Ozzy

A few months ago I commented about a large no-name briar pipe that I had (and subsequently sold) that was unique in my collection for becoming hotter than the hinges of hell. Unlike all of my other pipes, this one would get so hot that it was impossible to hold it by the bowl. The walls of that pipe were the thickest of any pipe I have and the grain was what some have termed "bald," i.e., ultra plain with no visible grain. Was it the grain that caused this? The thick walls? Either way, I can feel the [literal] pain that @Cap reported.
Interesting, I wonder what characteristic of the briar would do this. How it would transfer heat that way. I guess he could always contact the guy who sells them and see about a return.

Bach6032

That question puzzled me the entire time I owned that pipe.

Another distinguishing characteristic of that pipe was its size: its chamber was the largest of any I've seen (in person). I tried different blends, packing routines, smoking cadences, every variable with which I could experiment...and it not so much as once did the bowl fail to become blazing hot.

It was too heavy to clench for very long, so holding it was a true necessity. Perhaps the new owner has found a way to crack the code. Or maybe the thing is just a manifestation of Satan himself.

In my early college years I studied engineering but evidently didn't learn anything that would be relevant to explaining this behavior. Any engineers on the forum able to offer a technical description of the film coefficient of briar?

BradNTx

I’ve had several Pete’s, and now I own 1. I sold an XL that smoked well, but was a little large for my taste. The third was a green Christmas pipe that smoked super hot. It got returned with the stain bubbled. The third, a 221 Supreme is a fantastic flake pipe that burns cool, has beautiful grain, clenches easily, and is smoked regularly. I don’t know why some pipes seem to smoke hotter than others?

Ive got a BST that looks like the shift knob on a classic Mopar that smokes cool even though it’s the thickest walled pipe I have. I had a Bjarne pipe that was gorgeous, had thick walls and it smoked so hot I had to get rid of it. It’s a mystery to me… :mystery:

Sasquatch

May Cause Drowsiness
Staff Member
The 05 used to be the sherlock shape, is that the shape we're talking about? Cuz that pipe is hotter than Satan's hooves for awhile till it's caked up - the bowl walls are pretty thin at the hottest part (2nd quarter of the bowl). It's a really pretty pipe but they are not real hand friendly - now, maybe this is a warning to you that you smoke hotter than you think, and a big thick pipe like a Sav 614 is protecting you from yourself. But my experience with a 315 (the larger version of the calabash) about 10 years back was that it was a very hot feeling pipe right off the bat. It improved with use and I tended to leave the cake thick in that pipe.

Knuckles

I had this happen with an 05, too. I initially hated it because of this, but persisted - I can ne stubborn, apparently.

Took awhile but, it settled into a fabulous pipe. A very thin cake, and the usual - in the case of some Petersons, long - break-in and it's a cracking pipe.

Cap

I was purposely checking the temp of the bowl as i do all my pipes.
This one seemed to get a hot spot from the start.

I dont hold all my pipes for many are clentchers for me.

I smoked very slow and light and paid attention to that as it is a brand new 100 dollar pipe.

I never truly finished either bowl.
I have had pipes that can get very warm if i dont pay attention but not Hot like this thing does and almost instantly

Its a thin walled smaller pipe.

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Sales
Sometimes you get a hot one. There might not be anything obviously wrong with the pipe. I’m theorizing here, maybe it’s a chunk of briar that’s less dense than average and the heat more readily conducts to the surface.

Cap

Sometimes you get a hot one. There might not be anything obviously wrong with the pipe. I’m theorizing here, maybe it’s a chunk of briar that’s less dense than average and the heat more readily conducts to the surface.
Never had a pipe that i was very concerned about a burnout until this one.
It smokes great but worried about it going up in a blaze of Glory kind of tskes the Peace away.

Cap

Update:
Finally touched base with the seller and he was very awesome and understanding.

Bottom line he told me to keep smoking it and dont worry about babying it - just smoke it like all my other pipes.

He said sometimes a new pipe just takes longer (a few more bowls then others) before it begins to smoke cooler or better.

Bottom line he said if it burnsout or cracks not to worry i am covered and that he will take care of me.

That alone took a heavy weight off me and i am enjoying ALL my pipes again.

Note: went ahead and smoked the third bowl today.
It smoked cooler for the first half or so but then started getting hot again but NOT as hot as it did.

Thank You everyone for your input and a laugh or two.
Y'all are Awesome

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Note: went ahead and smoked the third bowl today.
It smoked cooler for the first half or so but then started getting hot again but NOT as hot as it did

That may be a good sign.
The chamber often begins to cake in the upper half or upper two-thirds first. Maybe a little buildup there is already starting to help.

Glad it's worked out for you with the seller.

Paulfg

The 05 used to be the sherlock shape, is that the shape we're talking about? Cuz that pipe is hotter than Satan's hooves for awhile till it's caked up - the bowl walls are pretty thin at the hottest part (2nd quarter of the bowl). It's a really pretty pipe but they are not real hand friendly - now, maybe this is a warning to you that you smoke hotter than you think, and a big thick pipe like a Sav 614 is protecting you from yourself. But my experience with a 315 (the larger version of the calabash) about 10 years back was that it was a very hot feeling pipe right off the bat. It improved with use and I tended to leave the cake thick in that pipe.
100% this
If it is the 05 calabash shape they are known to smoke hot but improve as they get broken in

Top Bottom