Peterson Killarney Finish

Lunter

Patron
Hey all,

I know this dark/ruby red finish has been on Pete's from the 1950s. Some people say killarneys all smoke hot - but then again Pete has turned out these pipe's for years which makes me think the finish is just fine.

Anyone have an informed opinion?

Thanks

I have two Petes with the Killarney-type varnish, one red and one black. Neither smokes "hot," although both smoke like carp. Both are awful because of drilling. Heat isn't an issue.

Given that wood is a powerful insulator, and the purpose of the wooden bowl is to keep the fire out of our hands, it is hard to conceive of how the varnish would affect the things happening inside the bowl, with 1/8" to 1/4" of wood involved.

I also have something similar. Smokes cool enough, but like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯‘s experience, the drilling just seems a little off. As a result, it doesn’t get much love.

I don’t think the coating would cause it to get hotter necessarily, but it may lead to the pipe retaining the same heat just a little better. But that’s a guess there.

The only bent Petersons I own that smoke worth a damn are System pipes. I don't think that's an accident. I don't think it's a QA thing, either.

I really, truly believe that Peterson doesn't know or care how to drill a bent pipe unless it's a System. That is kind of their bread and butter for the last hundred plus years. It's not that pipes like my varnished bents failed to pass QA, or weren't subjected to QA -- they were drilled that way on purpose, because that's how they do it in their house.

If you want a bent Pete, you probably want a System. And if you're sure you don't want a System, maybe you should be looking at straight Petes instead :)

Lunter

Patron
The only bent Petersons I own that smoke worth a damn are System pipes. I don't think that's an accident. I don't think it's a QA thing, either.

I really, truly believe that Peterson doesn't know or care how to drill a bent pipe unless it's a System. That is kind of their bread and butter for the last hundred plus years. It's not that pipes like my varnished bents failed to pass QA, or weren't subjected to QA -- they were drilled that way on purpose, because that's how they do it in their house.

If you want a bent Pete, you probably want a System. And if you're sure you don't want a System, maybe you should be looking at straight Petes instead :)
I have Pete's already, system pipes straight and bent all smoke fine. I was just asking about a particular finish.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
I have an older Pete 268 Killarney that is one of my favorite pipes. I don't have any of the issues that you noted above but maybe they are doing something different nowadays.

I did have a Pete Racing Green that had some heat issues but I chalked it up to me smoking too fast. It also lost its color very early on.