Peterson tobacco, will it change?

Pipepunk

We cracked a tin of Murray's-produced Old Dublin last year.
Smoker 1: "Wow, that's nice and mellow, really doesn't taste anything like I expected, a lot more harmonious and mellow than I remember."
Smoker 2: "Wow that has a lot more latakia in it than I figured, is this ever nice! Kinda plummy."
Smoker 3: "Bah, well past it's prime, and not a patch on how it used to taste."

So even if it doesn't change hands, the blends are a) experienced very differently by folks and b) kinda changing by themselves anyhow. The Murray's Old Dublin was practically juicy, and I remember the more recent version as kind of a dry, ascerbic smoke, basma in the mix, but never a sort of sweet/thick thing like the Murray's was (at this point).

The good news is that STG should be real good at making a bunch of these kind of blends - Connoisseur's Choice, Luxury Mixture etc. Right up their alley. Whether they manage a good version of Old Dublin or Irish Oak (now Irish Cask Iimplied s), well... we'll see. The bad news is that the very best Peterson ever offered looks to be dead - the Signature Flake was worth fighting for.

Also agree that Nutty Cut was pretty good (stupid name though).

The tobacco industry baffles me. It's a bit like when the pizza parlour up the street that everyone loves gets bought by new owners, and the first thing they do is change the sign out front, then the menu, then the crust. And then they wonder why people don't come anymore.

Really what's happening now is there's only a few giant companies making pipe tobacco at all, and all the brands that they can scoop up mean market share. And with new stuff being difficult to release in the USA, old brand names (like Capstan and 3 nuns for example) have a little more power/appeal for them.
I like old Dublin cause it has enough latakia without being overpowering.I actually thought it clever to name it nutty cut because it implied how the flavor would be

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Wasn't it Orlik? Murray's stopped making them when they shut down in 2004.
Yep, that is correct.

STG owned 50% of Orlik in 1990, and since 2008 it has been a wholly owned subsidiary of STG.

Upon the transfer of brands to Denmark, Orlik got not only the recipes, but much other stuff, including machinery and a small group of Murray workers to consult and advise on production.

In 2005 Whitehall Tobacco Works of Murray Sons & Co manufacturing plant was closed and sold to British American Tobacco Group, or BAT. Since they already owned Rothmans, they outsourced all manufacturing of their pipe tobacco blends to the Orlik Tobacco Company based in Assens in Denmark.

Machines and even raw and blended aging tobacco, as well as tinned products, lids, labels, and just about anything that could be shifted were sent to their new Danish premises.

tipofthelake

CAUTION: think twice before taking seriously
Patron
Yep, that is correct.

STG owned 50% of Orlik in 1990, and since 2008 it has been a wholly owned subsidiary of STG.

Upon the transfer of brands to Denmark, Orlik got not only the recipes, but much other stuff, including machinery and a small group of Murray workers to consult and advise on production.

In 2005 Whitehall Tobacco Works of Murray Sons & Co manufacturing plant was closed and sold to British American Tobacco Group, or BAT. Since they already owned Rothmans, they outsourced all manufacturing of their pipe tobacco blends to the Orlik Tobacco Company based in Assens in Denmark.

Machines and even raw and blended aging tobacco, as well as tinned products, lids, labels, and just about anything that could be shifted were sent to their new Danish premises.

I always appreciate your history laden posts. :beerchug:

Monkel

A eurobro informed us that nightcap seemed identical to him and so EMP. I think he said the navy rolls seemed different... or maybe it was EMP. I know NC and 1 other hes tried so far he said were identical