What's new

Peterson vs Vauen

Greenbriar

Regarding Peterson QC, I heard an interview with a laudisi guy about them wanting to focus more on QC now that they have bought the brand and build more trust but I think probably all the Peterson pipes currently on the market are still pre-laudisi makes. Someone correct me if wrong

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regarding Peterson QC, I heard an interview with a laudisi guy about them wanting to focus more on QC now that they have bought the brand and build more trust but I think probably all the Peterson pipes currently on the market are still pre-laudisi makes. Someone correct me if wrong
Peterson hired a QC guy a few years ago, long before Laudisi bought them.

There should be few or no pipes left in the retail channel that haven't had a proper QC check.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So there are QC issues in old-time Petersons -- holes not drilled all the way through, visible defects on the outside, etc. and then there are just plain old design issues. That's a whole 'nother category.

For the bent gurglers, well, that's not a QC issue. The Pete-heads, like the Peterson Bible authors, call it "semi-system drilling."

They drill a pipe like a system pipe, with a hella deep mortise, and a draughtway well above the bottom of the mortise, but without the rest of the Pete System. The drilling without the System is a perfect recipe for gurgle, and to a greater or lesser extent, Peterson insists this is a deliberate design.

For my own part, I consider the "semi-system drilling" to be an abomination, and a defect. But it ain't the kind of defect a QC person is gonna catch. If you want a non-System Peterson, and you want a bent, and you want to be absolutely certain it don't gurgle, you're gonna have to bring a flashlight and check the drilling for yourself.

Personally, I have three Petes. One System, and two non-system. Of the non-system pipes, one is not defective in any way, but a mediocre smoker. The other is also not defective in any way, and smokes OK. And the System pipe is, well, a System. It smokes dry as a bone, and sweet as spring, and it takes some effort to clean. That's the Pete System for you.

That's 3 for 3 that are non-defective, but have radically different smoking characteristics. poor / tolerable / pretty great.