Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Christmas Pipes

Chico

Mark Irwin has a good blog post about these - especially how he shows each shape in each finish, side-by-side. There are two very different rustication styles going on....

Screenshot_20210915-191404.png

Drydock

I think these are a handsome version of the Sherlock pipes. I'm not sold on these being "Christmas" editions, but rather a very lovely continuing exploration of different finishes, bands and mouthpieces on a popular series.

The sculptural rustication works well on a limited style of pipes, but on nearly every round-bowled pipe I saw in the initial release yesterday, they looked like golf balls. And that is awful.

Yosemite

Klingon Ambassador to Terra
Patron
Just finished my first bowl with my new Christmas Edition Milverton but when I got done I have a lot of brown stain on my hands. Has anyone else had this? Would it help to give it a good rub down.
View attachment 115324
I've had a couple new Petes "mark their territory" on my hand a little during the first few smokes before but never quite that much

Drydock

Just finished my first bowl with my new Christmas Edition Milverton but when I got done I have a lot of brown stain on my hands. Has anyone else had this? Would it help to give it a good rub down.
View attachment 115324
That's interesting. I'll be curious if others report similar color shedding. In photos, the heritage look darker than I expected, without much grain showing. In person and in natural light that may not be as pronounced? I'd be game to lightly hand buff prior to & after smoking. So long as the base stain stays uniform, a smidge less deeply dark would be as nice.

Let us know what you do and if it keeps discoloring your hand.

Gus

In my Moon
Patron
personally I am disappointed by these things....

although I like the Sherlock Holmes models and many others I don't have any Pete, I've had quite a few and I sold them all to buy others of more interest to me...

But...
making the same models as the Sherlock Holmes and branding them as Christmas 2021 to sell pipes at a higher price than usual by branding them as Christmas pipes is disappointing.

Why not create or innovate, do something different from the usual and leave the Sherlock Holmes series for what it is and how it was created?

I'm disappointed with this mercantilism, it's not for me.

Chico

personally I am disappointed by these things....

although I like the Sherlock Holmes models and many others I don't have any Pete, I've had quite a few and I sold them all to buy others of more interest to me...

But...
making the same models as the Sherlock Holmes and branding them as Christmas 2021 to sell pipes at a higher price than usual by branding them as Christmas pipes is disappointing.

Why not create or innovate, do something different from the usual and leave the Sherlock Holmes series for what it is and how it was created?

I'm disappointed with this mercantilism, it's not for me.
To be fair, I think they're actually cheaper than the regular Sherlock line, and about the same as previous Christmas pipes. I do like the copper bands and am not against the idea in principle, but it just seems they could have done a bit more to make them really special.

As for the finish, I know the green dyed pipes are notorious for rubbing off and fading to ugly brown, but I've never seen this on a regular brown finished pipe. ☹️

Gus

In my Moon
Patron
To be fair, I think they're actually cheaper than the regular Sherlock line, and about the same as previous Christmas pipes. I do like the copper bands and am not against the idea in principle, but it just seems they could have done a bit more to make them really special.

As for the finish, I know the green dyed pipes are notorious for rubbing off and fading to ugly brown, but I've never seen this on a regular brown finished pipe. ☹️
I don't know its price...but what I am referring to is its lack of creativity....

they do not innovate anything, they always use the same models (not only the Sherlock Holmes line) what they do, in short, is to change the color of the finish, if it is rustic or smooth, the mouthpiece of another color, put or not put P-Lib and name a new series.... The same gives a low range that high, the shapes are the same in all of them ... there is nothing new or that surprises me, but that's just my personal opinion, of course.

this happens with many brands, not only in Peterson you will see it, it ends up being boring to see their pipes over and over again just changing the color or finish, putting an engraved ring and raising the price.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
View attachment 115324
Thank you for partaking in Peterson's "Stain the World" campaign. One palm at a time, one day at a time, and eventually everything will be ruddy.

Bigk40k

I've had a bit of stain come off on a few of my Peterson army mounts but this is definitely the most. Gave it quick rub down with a cloth and think I got most of the excess off. After a quick hand polish enough of the excess stain rubbed off and the grain is much more visible.
20210917_171118.jpg

craig61a

I ordered 3, a Mycroft sandblast, Milverton sandblast, and a Strand smooth. The Mycroft was drilled perfectly. The Milverton was drilled high in the mortise, and the draft hole came out 3/8" above the floor of the chamber, same with the Strand. I liked the Milverton shape, so I ordered a Milverton PSB, figuring the odds of 3 pipes in a row drilled poorly were small.

I was wrong. At least on the PSB the draft hole was centered near the bottom of the chamber. The impressed "P" monogram on the stem has a bubbled up dimple around it.

I've sent back 2 other Peterson's this year for shoddy workmanship.

Apparently SP doesn't consider misdrilled pipes as defects, which is what I was told when I enquired about returning them.

Chico

I ordered 3, a Mycroft sandblast, Milverton sandblast, and a Strand smooth. The Mycroft was drilled perfectly. The Milverton was drilled high in the mortise, and the draft hole came out 3/8" above the floor of the chamber, same with the Strand. I liked the Milverton shape, so I ordered a Milverton PSB, figuring the odds of 3 pipes in a row drilled poorly were small.

I was wrong. At least on the PSB the draft hole was centered near the bottom of the chamber. The impressed "P" monogram on the stem has a bubbled up dimple around it.

I've sent back 2 other Peterson's this year for shoddy workmanship.

Apparently SP doesn't consider misdrilled pipes as defects, which is what I was told when I enquired about returning them.
Well, that just sucks on almost every level - but especially what SP told you. I'd imagine that pretty much all of us here would assume that a pipe is returnable if it's badly drilled. Buyer beware form now on, I guess (and I'm gonna stick with estate Petersons for the most part).

Top Bottom