What's new

Pipe Related Still Life Pics...

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I don't know actually. @Fr_Tom and I did a trade. It came to me with a zip tie holding the shank together so I sent it off for a repair and a replacementstem. I know it's Meerschaum but that's it.
The widow of a man who died in the early 80's gave his pipe collection to a priest after her husband's death. The priest was then a pipe smoker. The priest quit smoking pipes, but he kept them displayed in his office. This meer had some serious cake and a broken amber stem. It had a pipe cleaner through it in the rack to hold it all together. The priest retired and a couple of years later passed the collection on to me. I acquired it a few years ago.

I sent the meer off to get a new vulcanite stem and was disappointed with the work, but it was now smokable. The shank cracked while I was smoking it for maybe the second time. I "fixed" it with a zip tie and smoked it a lot. Tsal either got disgusted with the pictures of it or he saw a diamond in the rough. He suggested a trade. I was game.

That is as much as I know about the pipe.

Here is a picture of the bowl when I got it.

Here is a picture of it in a former life.

Tsal

Jersey Jerk
The widow of a man who died in the early 80's gave his pipe collection to a priest after her husband's death. The priest was then a pipe smoker. The priest quit smoking pipes, but he kept them displayed in his office. This meer had some serious cake and a broken amber stem. It had a pipe cleaner through it in the rack to hold it all together. The priest retired and a couple of years later passed the collection on to me. I acquired it a few years ago.

I sent the meer off to get a new vulcanite stem and was disappointed with the work, but it was now smokable. The shank cracked while I was smoking it for maybe the second time. I "fixed" it with a zip tie and smoked it a lot. Tsal either got disgusted with the pictures of it or he saw a diamond in the rough. He suggested a trade. I was game.

I still can't get over the amount of cake and resin that was in that pipe! I like to think of it as a diamond in the ruff. It's a great pipe!
@K Williams so here's the back story of this pipe and as far as the manufacturer is concerned, that remains a mystery.

Jhelms

A couple of years ago I bought a lot of pipes at a garage sale. One of them was caked as significantly as this one. It was a briar pipe and I got it home and it became an immediate project. I reamed what I could and then began the long process of cleaning it with rock salt and Everclear. It took several days to get the bowl in condition to really clean it. I will make the long story short. I cleaned it, and then refurbished it and it became a part of my pipe arsenal. I was amazed that it cleaned up and even more amazed at how good it smokes.