• Please read the rules before posting or replying here -- no banter, no off-topic replies please. Link to the rules: Old Codger Rules.

Pipe Replace Skoal

bearwolf56

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I've been smoking a pipe for many years now but it's been mainly a bowl with my morning coffee and not an all day thing. I'd like to quit dipping Skoal and only smoke a pipe but not sure how to transition to smoking a pipe all day and ditching the Skoal. So I'd like the advice from those of you who smoke a pipe all day or those that have quit dip and taken up the pipe. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I tried this years ago and posted a similar question years ago on the old site so can't look up what advice I got then. Thank you for any and all advice you can give.

Mikewood

This seems pretty simple. Just do it? Enjoy your pipe and coffee. Don’t take a dip before you “need” to. When you start to need a dip it’s time to crank up the pipe. Stop smoking when you are satisfied and start again when you need to. I have been told It’s hard on a pipe to be smoked all day so You might buy a half dozen cobs, load them in the morning and rotate thru them throughout the day. You may need to bump your tobacco selections to blends that offer more or less vitamin N to keep you satisfied and not woozy. Hydration is always a factor as are regular meals.

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I've been smoking a pipe for many years now but it's been mainly a bowl with my morning coffee and not an all day thing. I'd like to quit dipping Skoal and only smoke a pipe but not sure how to transition to smoking a pipe all day and ditching the Skoal. So I'd like the advice from those of you who smoke a pipe all day or those that have quit dip and taken up the pipe. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I tried this years ago and posted a similar question years ago on the old site so can't look up what advice I got then. Thank you for any and all advice you can give.
Here is some advice from a long time Copenhagen dipper. I fully confess I use it still, but had quit a long while back. I was hospitalized for about a week, and they started me on the patches. I stuck with the weakest ones, and it really helped my cravings. To aid the fact I wanted something in my lip I used the fake snuffs made with herbs. It is a vvery hard habit to break. For me after about 3 days without it it became easier. For me when a whole bunch of life problems arose I found myself back at it with the Copenhagen. Also there are new products called snus that aren't as bad for you that can help ween yourself off of the real snuff. I wish you luck in your quest.

bearwolf56

Here is some advice from a long time Copenhagen dipper. I fully confess I use it still, but had quit a long while back. I was hospitalized for about a week, and they started me on the patches. I stuck with the weakest ones, and it really helped my cravings. To aid the fact I wanted something in my lip I used the fake snuffs made with herbs. It is a vvery hard habit to break. For me after about 3 days without it it became easier. For me when a whole bunch of life problems arose I found myself back at it with the Copenhagen. Also there are new products called snus that aren't as bad for you that can help ween yourself off of the real snuff. I wish you luck in your quest.
Thank you for your insight. You are right, it ain't easy.

bearwolf56

This seems pretty simple. Just do it? Enjoy your pipe and coffee. Don’t take a dip before you “need” to. When you start to need a dip it’s time to crank up the pipe. Stop smoking when you are satisfied and start again when you need to. I have been told It’s hard on a pipe to be smoked all day so You might buy a half dozen cobs, load them in the morning and rotate thru them throughout the day. You may need to bump your tobacco selections to blends that offer more or less vitamin N to keep you satisfied and not woozy. Hydration is always a factor as are regular meals.
Great suggestions. I basically thought as I was writing my post just what you said. "Just do it?" to which I add "It's not rocket science." Thank you for your input.

Mr_Houston

I’m headed towards this same path. I dipped Copenhagen long cut for years. A year ago, I changed to Red Seal green. I believe it’s one of the lowest nicotine dips. See free nicotine levels - LINK.

The point is to lessen my addiction to nicotine. However, I tend to dip it all day. I’m getting too old for this.

I am aware that the mental addiction is a big deal with dip.

Summer69

@Ozark Wizard posted a link above for nicokick and they are a great vendor. I use the On mint tobaccoless pouches and have one in most minutes. After an order or two they send great coupons which gets tins down to a couple o bucks. Quitting chew works best if you don’t wait for the urge, I think you have to flood your system with nicotine from the second you wake up. If you wait too long, a pipe won’t fix the need. Great luck sir!

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
The idea that “just do it” doesn’t work for everyone. Moist snuff especially high nicotine blends. Kodiak and Copenhagen wintergreen are examples. I’m one who still enjoys it and no longer desire to quit. I’ve went for about a year at one point and decided to go backwards. Plain and simple-it’s mot a habit that many can do cold turkey. Also smoking a pipe may not be an option in certain work environments, and moist snuff becomes the option. To the OP I understand your battle. If you can smoke your pipe often-work etc. great. For most thats not an option. Herbal snuffs, combined with the patch, or nicotine gums nd now there are varying items in which were listed above to help. Do yourself a favor—smoke your pipe when you can, and don’t give up your battle to wuit moist snuff,

JustScott

I was using snus for a bit, General and a few other brands (only General is available in the US, the rest were ordered from Sweden.) I have recently switched to Rogue nicotine pouches and they're... okay. I miss the taste of tobacco but I can still enjoy them, and they get me my discreet nicotine which is necessary at work. They are quite a bit cheaper than General as well (a 5-pack of cans for $22, I was paying $9/can for General.) Also, you can order them, which is much easier than the sometimes Holy-Grail-ish quest to find General in stock (at least here.) It's also much cheaper than paying for shipping from Sweden (and free shipping at $40.)
Once you're used to the change in flavors, it works pretty well. The biggest downside is the strength, the strongest available is 6mg. Of course, Rogue also does nicotine lozenges and sublingual pills if you're interested in those. The pills might help, especially first thing in the morning. According to the website, they melt in about 3 seconds and have 2mg each. Roguenicotine.com is the website. It's a division of Swisher, ships out of Jacksonville FL. It's not perfect, but it's all right, and certainly safer than having moist tobacco in constant contact with your lip/gums. Good luck!

Lee D

^ not me
Patron
One thing I have done unintentionally, and that should be avoided, is to start inhaling when pipe smoking in search of the nicotine hit. Pipe tobacco smoke in the lungs is not good. I noticed I had started wheezing again, and it felt like the childhood asthma from decades ago. I wondered where that came from, and figured out what I was doing that caused it.

I really miss my General Onyx, a strong snus, but it has been made such a hassle to get here in the US that, after years of enjoyment, I finally gave up.

ClintonvilleLeather

Sales
The idea that “just do it” doesn’t work for everyone. Moist snuff especially high nicotine blends. Kodiak and Copenhagen wintergreen are examples. I’m one who still enjoys it and no longer desire to quit. I’ve went for about a year at one point and decided to go backwards. Plain and simple-it’s mot a habit that many can do cold turkey. Also smoking a pipe may not be an option in certain work environments, and moist snuff becomes the option. To the OP I understand your battle. If you can smoke your pipe often-work etc. great. For most thats not an option. Herbal snuffs, combined with the patch, or nicotine gums nd now there are varying items in which were listed above to help. Do yourself a favor—smoke your pipe when you can, and don’t give up your battle to wuit moist snuff,
I tried chewing rope briefly last Summer for a couple months. Just a small coin would last several hours and have plenty of nicotine. I noticed it was turning my teeth black so I figured I should stop but I had headaches for a few days after stopping. I imagine a long term habit would be very difficult to stop.

I would also recommend switching to a stouter smoking blend to help. Ropes, Lakeland Flakes, Dark Fired Blends, Semois etc... There is definitely a difference between puffing a pipe and direct contact in your mouth. Must be a higher absorption rate with oral tobacco. This might be a dumb idea but you could always also try chewing gum occassionaly

SmokeRings

Patron
You can try whittling it down, do half a can instead of a full can etc or whatever increments work for you, but there is a massive hurdle mentally to get over with quitting these things, even with all the patches, gum, twelve step programs in the world, the day will come when you will have to square with the fact that there won't be any more skoal in your pocket, or in your lip, and even if it’s going from one dip a day to none, you'll eventually have to go cold turkey, these things aren't easy, I quit a decade plus cigarette and occasional dip habit, so they can be done, if I can manage it, so can you, but there is no easy way, and no shortcuts.

Bigk40k

What i found that helped moving away from cigarettes was using a smaller pipes like MM mini and Mizzou. That way i could cary them easily around and the size is just right for 10-15 smoke when the need arises. I would recommend a good burly like Old Joe Kranz or 5 Brothers and if you can find it 1792 flake.

RedScot

I cycled between cigarettes and dip for decades. The damage dip was doing to my teeth finally made me choose to give it up, but the physical sensation of having a dip in my mouth was tough to get past, even though I was still using nicotine.
There were two things that helped me more than any others. First, I decided to ration out the number of times a day I'd get a dip, then reduced that number every week. Secondly, I built up the amount of time between the urge hitting and me picking up the can of Kodiak.
The nicotine from a pipe is similar to dip in the sense that it's spread out over a period of time, as opposed to the "spike" of a cigarette. The difference is one of magnitude, I suspect. For me, it helped to bring the craving to the fore, rather than instinctively reaching for the can. Maybe it can help.