Pipe Valets?

Bach6032

View attachment 65819
I really wanted one of those pipe valets, but at the time they were on hiatus and not making them, so I had this made for me by an Etsy seller, tempted by the pipe valet now that they are making them again...love how they can be engraved...
@ pipedreams86 I posted this on another related thread this morning. Here's another option from an ETSY seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/819029...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Price? All of $30. I placed the order December 13 and it's supposed to arrive in early January. For that price, it's worth the wait. il_794xN.2420514908_p2p3.jpg

Bach6032

@Bouwser Thanks, but the original photo contains enough detail. It may be easier to rule out a species than to rule it in: given that the grain of your tray is distinct, evenly spaced, fairly parallel and reasonably tight, it doesn't appear to be a more common species like oak, maple, poplar, walnut or pine. There's a certain bamboo-like quality to it, but it's probably not bamboo. I have done plenty of woodworking but this one stumps me. Betting that other forum members with more experience will have some good guesses--perhaps definitive answers. By the way, I just took another look at the pic and the edges do look quite like oak...but I'm betting it's not.

sfduke

Sales
@Bouwser Thanks, but the original photo contains enough detail. It may be easier to rule out a species than to rule it in: given that the grain of your tray is distinct, evenly spaced, fairly parallel and reasonably tight, it doesn't appear to be a more common species like oak, maple, poplar, walnut or pine. There's a certain bamboo-like quality to it, but it's probably not bamboo. I have done plenty of woodworking but this one stumps me. Betting that other forum members with more experience will have some good guesses--perhaps definitive answers. By the way, I just took another look at the pic and the edges do look quite like oak...but I'm betting it's not.
Appears these ship from China so interest in the wood species since may be different to what we have available here.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron

Bach6032

@blackmouth210 Absolutely will be happy to post a review. @sfduke The one I ordered comes from China but @Bouwser indicated that his wife had his made for him a couple of years ago and so I made the assumption--possibly incorrectly--that it was made in the States (admittedly a myopic view on my part). In any event $30 for a black walnut tray with a well for pipe/lighter storage and a notch to herd errant bits up and back into the jar seems like a Really Good Deal.

Bouwser

@blackmouth210 Absolutely will be happy to post a review. @sfduke The one I ordered comes from China but @Bouwser indicated that his wife had his made for him a couple of years ago and so I made the assumption--possibly incorrectly--that it was made in the States (admittedly a myopic view on my part). In any event $30 for a black walnut tray with a well for pipe/lighter storage and a notch to herd errant bits up and back into the jar seems like a Really Good Deal.
Yeah it was made by a co-worker she had at the time. Lots of awesome woodworking tricks involved. It’s a very special piece.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
@jabs In addition to the lower price, the Etsy units are made of black walnut, a coveted species of wood. The tray I ordered also is offered in two formats: rectangular and square (I ordered the square one). The notch is where it seems to belong naturally, in the corner. View attachment 82876
I like that one. The notch in the corner does seem to make sense for returning a blend to its jar/tin.
The square version is sold out right now.

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
@ pipedreams86 I posted this on another related thread this morning. Here's another option from an ETSY seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/819029...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Price? All of $30. I placed the order December 13 and it's supposed to arrive in early January. For that price, it's worth the wait. View attachment 82765
Thanks so much for the info @Bach6032! I actually gave in and bit the bullet about 3 weeks ago and ordered a Pipe Valet from Craig/Sedercraft...I had found the tray I already had, was too big and not easy to ‘handle’ so decided to go for it, it should arrive here in Romania sometime in the new year...

that tray you found on Etsy looks really awesome though...great price and seems like the same size and design as the Pipe valet...hope it arrives quickly to you!