Pipes That Don't Meet the Standard?!?

Noquarter

If the pipe burns hot, I might smoke a cooler tobacco or build a cake. If the draw is too restricted/too open, I adjust my packing or just smoke the right tobacco for it.If the pipe gurgles, I’ll use a pipe cleaner mid smoke. If the pipe fails to make a connection,it will eventually get lost out in the rotation and will be testing pipes for new tobaccos.

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
In my experience some pipes work well for some and not others. I don’t think I have experienced a dog in a long time but I’ve sold pipes I didn’t like that were very well received by the buying party. So just because you don’t like it, as long as you’re honest, just sell it. My first Castello was a dog rocket and the new owner loved it if I recall correctly.

These days I guess I don’t find bad pipes so long as they’re drilled well, so maybe it’s an experience thing. I have an ehrlich Dublin that tasted like paint for awhile tho. Now it’s a 1792 machine.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I am pretty sure I have never had one I could not smoke into submission. A lot of them are just "A" smokers quicker. Some I just don't care for, but it is because they have a bit I don't like or the bowl is too small for me, and I don't have the patience with them. About the only cosmetic thing that wears on me aesthetically is if I can tell a bowl has been topped. I have a box of pipes that don't see much action, but it is not because they are bad smokers.

SmokeRings

I originally hated the way my 320KS smoked...then I learned how to smoke THAT pipe properly and have never run across another one that some manner of fiddling with technique or tobacco burned in it would not produce at least a "decent" smoke...as far as pipes that no longer trip my trigger...my tastes are fluid enough they eventually end up getting smoked.

Full Bent Brian

I can't say that I've had a pipe that smoke bad, but a few that just didn't sync with. I invested in two Rad Davis pipes and didn't like either. I sold both and the new owners thought I was nuts, they loved them (glad they were pleased).
I've always thought that maybe my smokers i consider "bad" are really just something i don't sync with or aren't compatible to my packing style and smoking style. All the replies in this thread seem to be reinforcing that idea

Prime-8

I guess I’m the outlier here. I’ve got no qualms about throwing a pipe in the wood stove. Most recently I had Lakeland ghosted Comoy who’s stem broke off in my backpack. Stem went to the trash and the briar to the fire. As far as poorly smoking pipes are concerned, I’ve only burned two. And that only after they kicked around my basement for a decade or so.

Tortuga

This Kaywoodie white briar smoked terrible. Took my wife two Christmases to notice it on the tree.:)
View attachment 19570
That's funny, I LOVE mine but it does smoke a lot different from my other pipes.
20181028_145829.jpg
As for pipes that dont meet the standard, I'll either fiddle with them til they do or let my son play with them if I can't fix them. I've got a couple I've fallen out of love with that I need to sell or trade.

JustScott

I originally hated the way my 320KS smoked...then I learned how to smoke THAT pipe properly and have never run across another one that some manner of fiddling with technique or tobacco burned in it would not produce at least a "decent" smoke...as far as pipes that no longer trip my trigger...my tastes are fluid enough they eventually end up getting smoked.
You know, my Rossi was the same way (an 8320 Vittoria, which is a KS), I had to learn how to pack, light, and smoke it. A wide bowl is pretty different, more so than I had originally thought. I love the pipe now, but it definitely took a few bowls to hit my stride with it.
I may or may not have a couple of pipes that don't measure up, but I'm not ready to give up on any of them yet. Yet. I may have a different answer the next time this topic comes up, lol...

craig

I bought a basket pipe when I first started smoking about 10 years ago, this was before I found old psf, highly varnished and had real briar stamped on the side.

it was a bent billiard, stained red.

first off within minutes it was bubbling with moisture, it smoked hotter than Satan's jock strap and then the finish started bubbling and then just peeled right off.

I managed to modify it and it sorted the gurgling but after all the finish peeled off, there was a reason it was heavily stained and varnished.....there were some very large and very noticeable fills in it. anyways during one smoke I heard a kind of popping sound and lo and behold one of the fills had popped right out and in its place was a glowing ember.....straight in the bin and lesson learned.....cheap pipes aren't always good pipes.

I bought a basket pipe when I first started smoking about 10 years ago, this was before I found old psf, highly varnished and had real briar stamped on the side.

it was a bent billiard, stained red.

first off within minutes it was bubbling with moisture, it smoked hotter than Satan's jock strap and then the finish started bubbling and then just peeled right off.

I managed to modify it and it sorted the gurgling but after all the finish peeled off, there was a reason it was heavily stained and varnished.....there were some very large and very noticeable fills in it. anyways during one smoke I heard a kind of popping sound and lo and behold one of the fills had popped right out and in its place was a glowing ember.....straight in the bin and lesson learned.....cheap pipes aren't always good pipes.
Who would’ve thought that briar pipes would pop more than pipes made from corn? :mystery::mystery:

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
I agree that break-in/cake can improve how a pipe smokes, and sometimes different pipes seem to benefit from different technique.
That said, some pipes are just plain pooches. Some pipes gurgle, whistle, smoke wet, have poor draw, etc.
I've had a few duds. They go in a box. When I'm giving away a pipe, it's usually to a newbie, and I wouldn't want to get them started on a dog.
If you're someone who doesn't detect a difference in how pipes smoke... Hmm. Me and you are doing something different somehow.

craig

I agree that break-in/cake can improve how a pipe smokes, and sometimes different pipes seem to benefit from different technique.
That said, some pipes are just plain pooches. Some pipes gurgle, whistle, smoke wet, have poor draw, etc.
I've had a few duds. They go in a box. When I'm giving away a pipe, it's usually to a newbie, and I wouldn't want to get them started on a dog.
If you're someone who doesn't detect a difference in how pipes smoke... Hmm. Me and you are doing something different somehow.
I have a blakemar Hungarian, when I first got it it gurgled like a good un and burnt very hot.

but I found once it got some cake on the walls and a change in technique and tobacco it completely turned around and is one of my favourites.
it still gurgled now and then but given the full bent nature of a Hungarian I would say it is bound to happen.
but from it's first few bowls to now it is a completely different pipe for the better.

99% of the time it's just finding a set up and smoking technique that does the business, granted the other 1% is down to shoddy pipes luckily it's the exception rather than the rule.