Pits I Have Known

Cramptholomew

Has not made a Big Mac pancake.
Sales
I'm starting a thread for the love of pits. These lovely surprises, that when we cut or sand into a block, peek out their cute little heads to say hello. Made by briar gnomes, pits are an aesthetic wonder, crafted carefully in strategic locations inside our medium.

Here is last night's pit. See it in its glory, perfectly tucked right into the pipe's nuts. Dead center. It couldn't have been placed better.
IMG_20200610_225343.jpg

I previously posted this gigantic flaw, but thought it deserved a second acknowledgement.
IMG_20200522_230309.jpg

SmokeRings

Patron
As a guy who generally smokes rusticated or blasted or otherwise not smooth pipes I have to say that pits don't generally cause me any lost sleep because I wouldn't usually know if it was a pit or the artists design when I run my hand over a gnarly bit of rustication etc, and if I am to take the general admiration of the craggy, gnarled looks of this year's POY as any indication, most people on this forum feel the same, if you can, rusticate that sucker and sell it, somebody will love it all the same, I guess it's a bit unfortunate for the maker that rusticated pipes tend to sell for a bit less, but it isn't usually an enormous difference, a quick look at artisanal pipes on SP and you'll see some rusticated gems going for eye watering high prices, so...no big loss unless it ends up making a pipe a total loss by its location.

Cramptholomew

Has not made a Big Mac pancake.
Sales
As a guy who generally smokes rusticated or blasted or otherwise not smooth pipes I have to say that pits don't generally cause me any lost sleep because I wouldn't usually know if it was a pit or the artists design when I run my hand over a gnarly bit of rustication etc, and if I am to take the general admiration of the craggy, gnarled looks of this year's POY as any indication, most people on this forum feel the same, if you can, rusticate that sucker and sell it, somebody will love it all the same, I guess it's a bit unfortunate for the maker that rusticated pipes tend to sell for a bit less, but it isn't usually an enormous difference, a quick look at artisanal pipes on SP and you'll see some rusticated gems going for eye watering high prices, so...no big loss unless it ends up making a pipe a total loss by its location.
Yeah, that's true for some flaws. But, when you get one that's not only 1/8" deep at the surface, and looks like it might also be a crack, right where your shank would be going, it's gotta be tossed.

I actually salvaged the big flaw in the second pic. It'll be surprise for someone.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
First one was a lovely bent ball with a run that .... just ran, it's the little purple line above the big burn mark from the sander..... just scrap.
More annoying is those ones where it's just a lovely block and you find this little pit, and then that other one, and now another, and you think well maybe I can still save this thing... and... no.

IMG_6741.JPG