Pocket Knife for Shaving Plugs

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
I have a great Morakniv for cutting flakes at home, but wanted to get a pocket knife for shaving plugs when I'm away.

I read a great little post on another forum about old guys in Ireland using 'Barbour' knives, but couldn't figure out what those actually were. I was drawn to a few pocket cleavers and razor jack knives, and was debating between a Gerber and Kershaw folding cleavers, but ended up ordering this, as I figured it was more practical for other uses. I'm curious what others are using for 'travel' plug shavers, as I have no problem with buying more knives.

81HOBoyJt4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Danny

I have a great Morakniv for cutting flakes at home, but wanted to get a pocket knife for shaving plugs when I'm away.

I read a great little post on another forum about old guys in Ireland using 'Barbour' knives, but couldn't figure out what those actually were. I was drawn to a few pocket cleavers and razor jack knives, and was debating between a Gerber and Kershaw folding cleavers, but ended up ordering this, as I figured it was more practical for other uses. I'm curious what others are using for 'travel' plug shavers, as I have no problem with buying more knives.

View attachment 72670
Maybe they were referring to the James Barber Pen Knife.

sfduke

Sales
Good thin blades. I have an old Wenger that was my dad's scout knife. I like that you made the distinction.
Nice Wenger SAK @StompyMcFat

I am a Wenger loyalist and was sad when Victorinox took over a few years ago. They were historically separately operated companies with distinct designs. Both provided official knives to the Swiss Army.

I compare them like Coca-Cola and Pepsi to any coke loyalist. :)

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
Well, I guess this was really just an excuse to buy more knives. Like any guy my age, I have several pocket knives. I still have my Cub Scout knife, but the Boy Scout knife got lost over the years. Also have one of the fancy Swiss army knives that has a magnifying glass, scissors, tweezers, toothpick, etc - that my wife bought in Switzerland in 1985. And a wonderful little Boker pocket knife that my Grandfather gave me when I was a child.

But the real proof that I didn't actually 'need' another knife was that when I ordered the CRKT for plug-cutting, I somehow also ended up ordering this one that....just looked cool.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 7.54.19 PM.png

Last edited:

tech49

Out and about I use a Spyderco Delica 4 FRN with the plain edge. I've had it for 20 years.

It does what a knife does, and while I have Opinels all over the house, (No. 6s and No. 8s), I'm careful not to be carrying the No. 8s because the blade length is illegal if concealed here in Michigan. The No. 6 is legal to carry though.

You can't beat Opinels as all-purpose knives.