Pocket Knife for Shaving Plugs

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
It'll come in handy, when you come across those belligerent Mushrooms.
I meant to follow up on this a bit

On the only trip I've gone on with the Boston Mycological Club there was some newbie lady there had a spotless, brand new Laguiole folding knife that was like a machete

I had jumped across a stream and up an embankment towards a large cluster of honey mushrooms but I didn't have a knife and was picking by hand, suddenly I hear someone go "do you need a knife" and like, of course! So I turn around and she lobs a fiddle sticksing baton at me with a blade so large it was overhanging the handle while closed

I've since gathered that there's a style of folding knife where the tip of the blade hangs out over the handle but in the moment it was like trying to catch a javelin

I distinctly remember the Laguiole bee on it, so it wasn't exactly a cheap one, either

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
I bought one while in France after reading about them in Saveur, and got a very nice one with horn scales. But I handled a bunch of crap ones during the journey (they all have the bee). I can't remember who made mine, but you need to research the various makers before ordering one. It's a very cool-looking design, but somewhat impractical for my needs.

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
I assume you are pointing out how ridiculously expensive it is. If so, I agree. But you could save yourself $170 and just buy their pipe knife. I can't justify it, but I've been tempted.
That looks like it was made by a different company. Quality of Laguioles can be drastically different depending on the maker. All this is discussed extensively in knife forums, if you are thinking about buying one.

lowercaseG

That looks like it was made by a different company. Quality of Laguioles can be drastically different depending on the maker. All this is discussed extensively in knife forums, if you are thinking about buying one.
Thanks, that's good info to know. Unfortunately, I could never bring myself to pay that much scratch for a tool, especially when I can get the job done cheaper. Besides, it would just get lost in the bottomless pit that lies somewhere in my truck seat. They do make a purdy knife though.