Pocket Knife for Shaving Plugs

K Williams

Patron
Nice Wenger SAK @StompyMcFat

I am a Wenger loyalist and was sad when Victorinox took over a few years ago. They were historically separately operated companies with distinct designs. Both provided official knives to the Swiss Army.

I compare them like Coca-Cola and Pepsi to any coke loyalist. :)
I have many of both, but prefer Victorinox.

K Williams

Patron

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
I have a few options. My favorite isn't anything fancy.
Not quite as inexpensive as my Opinel.
But the shape of the blade on this folder is excellent.

It's a Firebird by Ganzo.
Rugged, easy to maintain, and the fit-n-finish is worthy of something more than its price of under $30.

(Pictured here with non-plug tobacco...:))
View attachment 72719
That's in the same shape ballpark as the knife I started this thread off with. Something about the 'cleaver' shape that makes it feel like it would be a good plug cutter.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
That's in the same shape ballpark as the knife I started this thread off with. Something about the 'cleaver' shape that makes it feel like it would be a good plug cutter.
It really is. That blade shape makes it exactly that...a mini cleaver.
It's a sturdy piece.
Small enough to be portable and large enough to be comfortable in my hand.
It makes quick work of plugs and twist.

Something I've found is that a full-flat grind is a good thing for cutting plug. I sometimes use an Opinel no. 8 Carbone, but usually use my grandfather's old pocket knife, a Bulldog Brand barlow. Super thin blade stock, and it's a "Tobacco Leaf" jigged barlow, complete with "Tobacco" in script on the bolster. Since it says Tobacco, I figured that was a good use for it (and it gets the knife used without needing to take it out of the house.) Full flat grind, thin stock, takes an incredible edge (Sheffield high carbon blade stock.) I sometimes take a "little extra" to finish up that last 1/8" of bowl and usually use my Buck 830, but the thicker stock and hollow grind make it a little harder to shave shag.
And on the sharpening, I've seen videos (and have done it myself) of a guy taking a carbon Opinel, dulling it on a Scotch-Brite pad, and bringing it back to shaving with the unglazed ring on the bottom of a coffee mug. You can sharpen an Opinel (and most high-carbon, old-school steel) with just about anything, as long as you have your technique down. I've brought mine to tree-topping my fairly fine arm hair with a mug and an old belt. But, you know, it's definitely sharper if you're using a $500+ setup...

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
The CRKT Pilar just arrived (knife in first post). Tiny knife with a great design - you can get 4 fingers around it because of the area below and at the back of the blade. It appears to be a great candidate for plug-shaving, but will get tested this afternoon.

Here it is next to a small 25g Condor plug, which is the size I'd generally have in my pocket.

20200917_103038.jpg