What's new

Possible Changes for Sorringowl & Sons Coming Up

Sorringowl

With feathers
Sales
Thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes and kind words. I really appreciate it.

As far as the leather goods go, it's all pretty much up in the air. While I may stop selling leather goods, altogether, it's also possible I might just whittle the collection down, or maybe focus on all hand stitched work, or maybe just offer a few items every so often here on the forum, whenever the mood strikes, or some other iteration of that. In any case, I probably won't give up the hobby, so, we'll see.

@desolbones I may be unloading a super, heavy duty machine that you can actually make horse saddles and blankets with! hehe, but, would also work very well for motorcycle seats. I'll PM you with the details and if that one doesn't work for you, and you need help picking a machine out, I'll help you narrow it down.

@Sir Saartan I'm already working on the novel again (might as well strike while the iron is hot) and another pipe-related work of fiction, so, more on that later, once it grows some legs. I'm sure it will debut here on the forum, before any place else. :)

@SteveNH I couldn't have said it better, myself (or shorter--hmm...maybe I should hit you up to be my editor--hehe).

@Super K Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate that. And, as I tell most people, everyone is creative and everyone has talents, and if you dedicate time and energy to your craft, any craft, and really enjoy it (and I think that's key), good work will result. But, really, the doing of the work, and the making of the thing (whatever it is), is its own reward, especially when you know it is going to people who will use and appreciate it. Would love to see some of your stuff, actually, so, if you post on the forum, please tag me.

@Russ H. @MakDragon @davidbeinct @blackmouth210 @headrott ...and too many others on PSD to mention...Thanks for supporting a fellow forum brother for all these years. You have no idea what that means to me, and to others getting their start, making pipes, accessories, etc. And, just so you know, I will keep that tradition going for other beginning craftsmen here on the forum, as I've tried to do all these years, as I know the amount of time and effort involved in starting and maintaining a business, even if it's part-time.

@BSTpipes Yes. Yours, in particular, being the wizard of North American pipe makers, would be worth quite a bit! Probably north of $1 Million, Canadian, at least (which is probably over $1 Million U.S., at this point--or, at least 100 drachmas, or, at least, 2.3 bitcoins). If you can hold off on using this until after June, that is. ;)

Sorringowl

With feathers
Sales
A special thanks, also, to all the pipe makers on the forum, especially Sasquatch, who has always been a supporter/enabler of my work and who has guided countless other artisans, especially, pipe makers, to have integrity in their work. If you're a beginning pipe maker, craftsman, or artist, here, you'd be wise to follow the example of Todd as well as other, dyed in the wool, pipe and accessory makers, like @Spillproof @Maddis @snake @N_monier_pipes and many others here:

Namely:
-Be humble.
-In the beginning, give your work away (and/or charge just enough to cover your expenses and the cost of new materials). That way, you get your work out, and get feedback from your customers.
-Do the work: dedicate yourself, your time and energy, to your craft (any craft).
-Do your best: it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be your best, whatever that is, at any given time.
-Always work on your craft: After doing leather work for almost a decade, I've learned just how much there is I have yet to learn. If I live to be 100, there will always be something new to learn.

Most importantly: think of your customers as your family. They are, as they will be there for you, in good times and bad. Treat them as such.
Above all, value their feedback and instill their suggestions into your work. They are smarter than you, and they know what they want. Try your best to give it to them. It'll make you a better craftsman. Also, the relationships you build with your customers are far more important than anything you could ever make for them. That being said, make things for them that symbolize your relationship to them, rather than making them just for the sake of making an object, expressing yourself, or, worse, just to make a buck. It's easy to make a buck. Making friends takes work and, in the long run, is much more valuable.

sfduke

Sales
A special thanks, also, to all the pipe makers on the forum, especially Sasquatch, who has always been a supporter/enabler of my work and who has guided countless other artisans, especially, pipe makers, to have integrity in their work. If you're a beginning pipe maker, craftsman, or artist, here, you'd be wise to follow the example of Todd as well as other, dyed in the wool, pipe and accessory makers, like @Spillproof @Maddis @snake @N_monier_pipes and many others here:

Namely:
-Be humble.
-In the beginning, give your work away (and/or charge just enough to cover your expenses and the cost of new materials). That way, you get your work out, and get feedback from your customers.
-Do the work: dedicate yourself, your time and energy, to your craft (any craft).
-Do your best: it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be your best, whatever that is, at any given time.
-Always work on your craft: After doing leather work for almost a decade, I've learned just how much there is I have yet to learn. If I live to be 100, there will always be something new to learn.

Most importantly: think of your customers as your family. They are, as they will be there for you, in good times and bad. Treat them as such.
Above all, value their feedback and instill their suggestions into your work. They are smarter than you, and they know what they want. Try your best to give it to them. It'll make you a better craftsman. Also, the relationships you build with your customers are far more important than anything you could ever make for them. That being said, make things for them that symbolize your relationship to them, rather than making them just for the sake of making an object, expressing yourself, or, worse, just to make a buck. It's easy to make a buck. Making friends takes work and, in the long run, is much more valuable.
Well said. Always been great working with you on custom pieces. Needless to say, they are all keepers and great users :)

Super K

Thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes and kind words. I really appreciate it.

As far as the leather goods go, it's all pretty much up in the air. While I may stop selling leather goods, altogether, it's also possible I might just whittle the collection down, or maybe focus on all hand stitched work, or maybe just offer a few items every so often here on the forum, whenever the mood strikes, or some other iteration of that. In any case, I probably won't give up the hobby, so, we'll see.

@desolbones I may be unloading a super, heavy duty machine that you can actually make horse saddles and blankets with! hehe, but, would also work very well for motorcycle seats. I'll PM you with the details and if that one doesn't work for you, and you need help picking a machine out, I'll help you narrow it down.

@Sir Saartan I'm already working on the novel again (might as well strike while the iron is hot) and another pipe-related work of fiction, so, more on that later, once it grows some legs. I'm sure it will debut here on the forum, before any place else. :)

@SteveNH I couldn't have said it better, myself (or shorter--hmm...maybe I should hit you up to be my editor--hehe).

@Super K Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate that. And, as I tell most people, everyone is creative and everyone has talents, and if you dedicate time and energy to your craft, any craft, and really enjoy it (and I think that's key), good work will result. But, really, the doing of the work, and the making of the thing (whatever it is), is its own reward, especially when you know it is going to people who will use and appreciate it. Would love to see some of your stuff, actually, so, if you post on the forum, please tag me.

@Russ H. @MakDragon @davidbeinct @blackmouth210 @headrott ...and too many others on PSD to mention...Thanks for supporting a fellow forum brother for all these years. You have no idea what that means to me, and to others getting their start, making pipes, accessories, etc. And, just so you know, I will keep that tradition going for other beginning craftsmen here on the forum, as I've tried to do all these years, as I know the amount of time and effort involved in starting and maintaining a business, even if it's part-time.

@BSTpipes Yes. Yours, in particular, being the wizard of North American pipe makers, would be worth quite a bit! Probably north of $1 Million, Canadian, at least (which is probably over $1 Million U.S., at this point--or, at least 100 drachmas, or, at least, 2.3 bitcoins). If you can hold off on using this until after June, that is. ;)
I’d post my wares but they’re all living with their recipients. Nothing near the quality you produce. I was learning knife sheathes until carpal tunnel took stitching away from me. If I get a wild hare and make something I’ll post it and tag you.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
There are things that stand out here at PSD that do not in other forums, and the Artisan world. That is the folks we are discussing in this thread have a moral compass that points in a direction of honor, integrity, and stays pointing true because their ethics, and who they are as a human being at the very core of their person is made up of great, and good things.
Frank--you have mentioned the great pipe makers, and other artisans in this thread, and you my good man are one of those great, good, and true people.
This forum, and the artisans who come here are what makes this place a great place, and I for one am so thankful that God above has granted me the great honor in being able to own, and have some of the work that has been sold to me from the artisans from the old forum, and now here at PSD.
I was thinking of you this morning Frank, and thought to myself--"You know Russ--your lucky to be have some really great pipes, and suff that goes along with them." These items that bring me joy came from people whos hearts, hands, and minds are in the right place in a modern world that seems to be coming unhinged. I am thankful for all of the fine folks, and artisans here.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
I will again, or would like to say--The quality of these products are second to none when it comes to what you will see on the website. I would tell anyone here no matter whether you are a member, or a visitor/lurker at PSD---you will not regret a purchase, and I would highly suggest grabbing something soon.