Pre Colored Meerschaum Pipe Question

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
I saw this pipe today online and thought it was quite striking.
6192B75E-64FE-4283-90D1-EB7E5EE63889.jpeg

I do not know much about meers, but can someone tell me what if anything happens when they are pre-colored like this?
Does the coloring come off?
How does the natural coloring look as time goes on?
Will it “bleed” on to your hands?

Just hoping someone can fill me in on these pieces.

Thanks,
M

Last edited:

dmkerr

No fiddle sticks left to give
Staff member
If its colored wax, it will come off over time. You may get a smallish section that turns back to white pretty quickly and the rest of the pipe will fade but the color wont turn to white for a very long time.

If its dye (this one probably isnt), it will stay the color it is.

IMP?

Mikewood

I can’t speak to meers and am not sure what they used to “color” the pipe. If it’s an inorganic dye or paint it should last many years. Organic die might discolor with enough heat so that’s not something that a responsible pipe maker would use. That would go to cost. It appears the pipe may have been dipped in dye and then carved. If that’s the case the dye absorbed deep into the meer making it very colorfast. If it’s applied with a paintbrush then it’s only skin deep.

I suspect the whole pipe will darken and the red become burgundy and the teardrops will become a medium complementary brown. That would look pretty spectacular in a few years.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
Look like you'll have to buy it & let us know what happens. :bigyellowgrin:
Resistance is futile :bigeyes2:

It is one of the sweetest looking meers (at least to my eye and taste) I have seen...not just the coloring but the stem and shape, and from what little I have been able to find, Tekin is suppose one of the better out there.
It does say all rendered in genuine block meerschaum.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron

It is one of the sweetest looking meers (at least to my eye and taste) I have seen...not just the coloring but the stem and shape, and from what little I have been able to find, Tekin is suppose one of the better out there.
Well, you definitely want block over pressed meerschaum, pressed being floor sweep glued & pressed together, from what I've read..

Chasing Embers

Looks like an AKB, and they are block. Look into Kenan and Emin brothers as well, some of the best carving I've owned.

dmkerr

No fiddle sticks left to give
Staff member

Tekin is an excellent carver. If his bits didnt feel so chunky to me, i'd buy more of his pipes.

I saw this pipe today online and thought it was quite striking.
View attachment 77823

I do not know much about meers, but can someone tell me what if anything happens when they are pre-colored like this?
Does the coloring come off?
How does the natural coloring look as time goes on?
Will it “bleed” on to your hands?

Just hoping someone can fill me in on these pieces.

Thanks,
M
I almost bought that 1 , last week ...

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
Thanks to you bunch of yahoo enablers I caved...:roflmao:

Really looking forward to this one...I want to use it often to get that color change.

One last “noob” question...should I use this for some of my more aromatic (goopy) blends for the most part?
Or can I just put whatever I feel like in it and not worry about ghosting.
I am not quite sure where I heard it, but I am under the impression that Meer will not ghost a pipe like briar...of which I now have first hand knowledge and a pipe dedicated to Ennerdale.

I enlarged the photos and from the carved spots it looks like the color/dye/whatever was applied and then the parts showing white were carved...I can see where it had penetrated in those areas.

Plus I gotta hand it to SP for their nice description.....put me over the edge.
That reviewer has a twenty dollar silver tongue!

One of the more traditional forms from AKB, this meerschaum features an affably plump, broad Apple bowl set to a lithely bent shank-and-stem combination. The intricate lattice carved finish lends the timeless design a bit of extra character and is pre-colored for immediate visual gratification, though it will continually darken over the years with use. It's then beautifully topped off by a silver accent band with expansion rings along the base of the ruby-hued stem creating even more visual interest.

Thanks to everyone for the input...
M

Last edited:

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
Meerschaum will ghost...not as much as briar unless the meer is caked, but it does ghost. If you smoke lakelands or goopers or latakia blends, your other blends will taste like those.
Yeah...that was a harsh lesson to learn...when I first started I kept hearing things about Lakelands and such but really did not understand...thanks for the reply!

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
Looks like you bought the only one. They do have a blue one that is nice, but that probably won't last long after this thread. Hope you enjoy you new meerschaum. Smoke it in good health.
Thanks...I had swore off new pipes for the rest of the year...but after reading the comments here and looking at the pipe I folded faster than Superman on laundry day!

I saw the blue one too, but this one called to me.

Thank you for the kind comment!
M