What's new

Prepping a pipe to sell

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
Been awhile but if selling myself I ream and clean it up with everclear

Again, it’s been a long time, but I eventually realized letting a consignment guy or SP do it for me netted out about the same after time spent cleaning, photographing, fees, eBay buyers chisling you, etc. so I stopped doing it myself and gave someone else the work.

If I were to sell now I’d probably clean it well and try here before sending somewhere it’d sell for the same price but I’d pocket less.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
clean it well and try here
This is the only way I sell pipes anymore. Clean them up, list them here, keep them if they don’t sell. Got tired of “I see you’re asking $250, would you take $3.75 and half a pack of Fruit Stripe gum? Oh, and I’ll need you to ship it for free because I think paying for shipping is stupid.”

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
This is the only way I sell pipes anymore. Clean them up, list them here, keep them if they don’t sell. Got tired of “I see you’re asking $250, would you take $3.75 and half a pack of Fruit Stripe gum? Oh, and I’ll need you to ship it for free because I think paying for shipping is stupid.”
The GBD page on pipedia has a picture of a pipe I used to own that the buyer bitched about and chiseled $20 out of me for.

Riff Raff

Doug Valitchka is considered to be an authority by many and he has one heck of of a reputation in the pipe community. He's frequently cited in Pipepedia. I'd be inclined to belief him. (I consider myself to have a pretty strong knowledge about GBD pipes but I'd sure defer to Doug)

“I don’t think this is really a GBD”

I still am not convinced it is and it smoked about as well as a horses asshole

https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD

Riff Raff

For pipes I sell, they all get:

Reamed, salt/alcohol soaked.
Stem cleaned and shined.
Packed separately, in two pieces, in a crystalline bag
With a ton of bubble wrap

I always write in my description: "The pipe has been cleaned, and by my standard, ready to smoke. You may wish to do additional cleaning."
So far, no complaints. I've sold 244 pipes, since 2011. Most via pipe forum classifieds or Ebay.

JAK

I sell both sanitized and restored pipes as well as lots of pipes that are sold as is. I think the key is to just be honest and upfront about what the condition is when selling it. Sanitized and restored pipes will bring more money unless the pipe you are selling has been smoked only a few times. Might mention what type of tobacco was smoked in it as well if you don't sanitize it.