Presbyterian mixture.. what am I getting into?

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
If you're looking for strong tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for complex tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for strong complex tobacco, you will definitely be disappointed.

If, instead you're looking for a well balanced latakia blend that smokes exceptionally well, you will enjoy Presbyterian. It's not fussy, the latakia is added in a near perfect quantity, and is never harsh.

Shoebox1.1

My problem is I read these reviews and they sound so good! My mouth literally waters sometimes. You get yourself overhyped for the blend. When it’s different that the expectation you get the let down. This is complicated stuff- trying new pipe tobaccos! 😀 but fun! I like having different smoking experiences in different pipes

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
If you're looking for strong tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for complex tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for strong complex tobacco, you will definitely be disappointed.

If, instead you're looking for a well balanced latakia blend that smokes exceptionally well, you will enjoy Presbyterian. It's not fussy, the latakia is added in a near perfect quantity, and is never harsh.
This is a great description of the blend. I love it and have smoked it for a long time off and on.

Arkie

It isn't a Lat bomb so you will be disappointed if you like mixtures with 50% or more Latakia. As others have said, it is a balanced mixture. It is my favorite English mixture because ,to me, an excess of Latakia tastes like burning tires smell (no offence intended to those of you who like Lat bombs).

SmokeRings

Patron
My problem is I read these reviews and they sound so good! My mouth literally waters sometimes. You get yourself overhyped for the blend. When it’s different that the expectation you get the let down. This is complicated stuff- trying new pipe tobaccos! 😀 but fun! I like having different smoking experiences in different pipes
Some people here are known to order blends that are recommended and not look up reviews until after smoking it, might be a way to help avoid setting unrealistic expectations for blends

It isn't a Lat bomb so you will be disappointed if you like mixtures with 50% or more Latakia. As others have said, it is a balanced mixture. It is my favorite English mixture because ,to me, an excess of Latakia tastes like burning tires smell (no offence intended to those of you who like Lat bombs).
Reminds me of high school. I loved the smell of burning tires! Good memories.

SmokeRings

Patron
I like that idea. Go with a known name and roll with it! Like squadron leader.. I like the name and is well known. I have no idea what’s in it or what to expect.
Lot of times it goes a little like starting a thread saying something along the lines of "I am looking for blends similar to ..." or "I want to explore blends in ... category, any recommendations?" Then wait for the flood of suggestions to happen, grab a handful or whatever of whatever gets recommended and look up reviews after you've had a few bowls.

Mikewood

This is why I like this board. You ask about a blend and somebody says it’s like this and someone else says it’s not but It’s more like that and there is no hard feelings or negativity.

Personally I found this to be lat medium and on target for an English and VA forward which made it a bit grassy and light for my taste. I like a little more spice richness and weigh to a smoke. It’s put back and I may check on it in a year or five. Fascinating hobby.