Presbyterian mixture.. what am I getting into?

Chico

For several years, Presbyterian was made by Planta in Germany. MacBaren bought out Planta a year or so ago. When Smoking Pipes did a promo on it a month or so back, they failed to list a Country of Origin. I asked. Denmark. Most reviews are of the German version.
Wow, had no idea the blend had changed hands. I haven't had the new version (light blue tin instead of dark), but going by the old stuff @blackmouth210 and others who said similar things nailed it. It's just a totally balanced, easygoing light English blend. If I smoked all day, it would go into the "all-day" smoke category because of those reasons. It's not going to blow you away with complexity or nuance because it's so well blended all the ingredients even each other out. That might sound boring, but I just see it as a satisfying simple pleasure. Having said that, I've been nursing the same tin for 5 years or so, so don't reach for it often - but never regret when I do.

Wow, had no idea the blend had changed hands. I haven't had the new version (light blue tin instead of dark), but going by the old stuff @blackmouth210 and others who said similar things nailed it. It's just a totally balanced, easygoing light English blend. If I smoked all day, it would go into the "all-day" smoke category because of those reasons. It's not going to blow you away with complexity or nuance because it's so well blended all the ingredients even each other out. That might sound boring, but I just see it as a satisfying simple pleasure. Having said that, I've been nursing the same tin for 5 years or so, so don't reach for it often - but never regret when I do.
I thought the German Planta version shared a lot of the virtues of the made in the U.K. original, which are as you describe, but I haven’t smoked the MacBarens incarnation.

Back in the early 1980’s, Royal Cigar in downtown Atlanta did an Easter religious themed window display: Five Brothers, Three Nuns, Parson‘s Pleasure and Presbyterian.

N80

Meetings: None of us is a dumb as all of us.
Sales
Glad you got it.

As for the tobacco in question l really do not like it. I’m mostly an aromatic smoker but I do like some Latakia blends like Black House. A lot, in fact.

Presbyterian for me smells okay in the tin. The flavor and smoke however remind me of cheap cigarettes and to me the nicotine content seems high. I do not know if that is actually true or not.

Now, I’ll qualify all of this by saying: 1. I don’t have much experience with a wide range of tobacco especially not with English blends. 2. My tobacco palette is probably pretty unsophisticated. 3. What I have is a “match” blend by Russ Oulette intended to duplicate Presbyterian and I have no idea how it compares to the real thing.

I will try it again tomorrow and see what I think then.

I hope you will keep your expectations high and plan on enjoying it.

N80

Meetings: None of us is a dumb as all of us.
Sales
I tried it again today.

Presbyterian: traditional, orthodox, dogmatic, obstinate, resistant to change, cold, stoic, strong willed, enduring, hard to incite.....but once lit - explosive and sometimes dangerous.

Some of that applies to the tobacco too.

Anyway, still don't like it. I was wrong about it tasting like a cheap cigarette. It tastes and smells like a cheap cigar. And I know my way around cheap cigars.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
I tried it again today.

Presbyterian: traditional, orthodox, dogmatic, obstinate, resistant to change, cold, stoic, strong willed, enduring, hard to incite.....but once lit - explosive and sometimes dangerous.

Anyway, still don't like it. I was wrong about it tasting like a cheap cigarette. It tastes and smells like a cheap cigar. And I know my way around cheap cigars.
Set it aside for a year and circle back....

Chico

I tried it again today.

Well, you tried one blender's attempt to replicate Presbyterian, not the actual blend. There might be a huge difference. I've never tried the supposed "match" but I haven't been a fan of many Russ O. blends. So I wouldn't write off the real stuff based on that. It might be like judging Mexican food based on Taco Bell 😄