Presbyterian mixture.. what am I getting into?

John Lawitzke

I find that Presbyterian needs at least six months in the tin to settle down into what it should be. After that, it’s a spectacular smoke. I recently opened a Mac Baren made Presbyterian that had 12 months of age. I find it to be extremely close to Planta made Presbyterian. I only notice a very slight difference between the two and I probably only notice that because I’ve smoked quite bit of the Planta made. So, to me, the blend has successfully survived the change in production factory.

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
If you're looking for strong tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for complex tobacco, you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for strong complex tobacco, you will definitely be disappointed.

If, instead you're looking for a well balanced latakia blend that smokes exceptionally well, you will enjoy Presbyterian. It's not fussy, the latakia is added in a near perfect quantity, and is never harsh.
That's a great way to put it!

I got my tin in the mail. The cool thing is it doesn’t have the billboard warning on the label!
Tin is dated nov 2020. Very hard to open and very dry contents. First puffs reminds me of my 3 year aged revelation match. Exact flavor. After the REV and bengal slices, I don’t think I like Latakia. Musty dirty gym sock . I put the whole presby tin in a brand new mason jar. 6 months here we come. Thanks everyone. Gus

headrott

It isn't a Lat bomb so you will be disappointed if you like mixtures with 50% or more Latakia. As others have said, it is a balanced mixture. It is my favorite English mixture because ,to me, an excess of Latakia tastes like burning tires smell (no offence intended to those of you who like Lat bombs).
Agree with the burning tires comparison. The first blend I noticed the taste of burning tires with is G.L. Pease Quiet Nights. Like you stated no offense to those that like Latakia bombs. I left Quiet Nights in a jar for the last 4 years to see if time changes the taste and/or intensity level of the taste. I should open the jar and try it again soon.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Agree with the burning tires comparison. The first blend I noticed the taste of burning tires with is G.L. Pease Quiet Nights. Like you stated no offense to those that like Latakia bombs. I left Quiet Nights in a jar for the last 4 years to see if time changes the taste and/or intensity level of the taste. I should open the jar and try it again soon.
Please let us know what you think, if you do. I have some QN that's been jarred for about 6 years. If the blend is losing it's Latakia dominance, I need to smoke it sooner rather later. I'm a Lat-lover.

headrott

Please let us know what you think, if you do. I have some QN that's been jarred for about 6 years. If the blend is losing it's Latakia dominance, I need to smoke it sooner rather later. I'm a Lat-lover.
Will do. Personally, I hope it has mellowed a bit from aging. IMO, waaaay too intense fresh. Or maybe it’s the combination of tobaccos with the Latakia. This is said after trying Gaslight, Ten Russians, and Lancer Slices. I never got the burning tire taste from any of the above tobaccos, however. Not sure, maybe it’s just me and my buds in that instance?

Last edited: