PSD 2020 Pipe of the Year Discussion

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Oh I have no doubt...I have no Radice pipes much less a fancy shmancy twin bore oil cured apple from a famed carver...it is all over my head.

I am really even more happy to give some business to the good folks from Italy after being hit so hard with this COVID, I would imagine they really appreciate getting the orders...so it is a win win for me..

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Oh I have no doubt...I have no Radice pipes much less a fancy shmancy twin bore oil cured apple from a famed carver...it is all over my head.

I am really even more happy to give some business to the good folks from Italy after being hit so hard with this COVID, I would imagine they really appreciate getting the orders...so it is a win win for me..
If you're not familiar with Radice definitely check out Pipedia. Luigi "GiGi" Radice worked at Castello, then he and some partners started Caminetto (also see Ascorti), then he said "screw this I'm moving into the hills" (paraphrased and northern califorrnianized).

He's a bit of a hero to me.
Now his two sons and a third long-time employee (basically family) make Radice pipes under his watchful eye (he still carves the occasional one-off pipe too, "for fun"). Notably his sons are older than me and they have been making pipes since they were big enough to hold a file.

You can't talk about the history of Italian pipemaking without stumbling over GiGi several times. We're very lucky they like us ;-)

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
Patron

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
You're not helping!

I had always wished and planned to visit Italy one day, and after starting back on pipes to visit some famed shops.....I would love to see this family in action...what a great legacy to be part of.

Old world craftsmanship is rapidly fading...soon we will just have 3-D printed pipes :confused:

The fun part now is deciding of which blend shall I deflower yon pipe?

SmokeRings

Patron
Helping? Come now, this is far and away the most helpful place on the internet when it comes to purchasing anything and everything related to pipes and tobacco of all sorts and descriptions, we are perfectly happy to help you decide to spend your money on what we clearly perceive as an item of desperate need but requiring justification. Now if by helpful you mean you want a buncha guys to tell you not to buy something related to pipes and tobacco, probably your outta luck, I think we may have different opinions of what meets the "helping" definition though :whistling:

Merk3030

Patron
I actually know a Food Scientist.
He worked with Wendy's for many years (when their fries got better) and then with Dreyer's Ice Cream (slow churned ice cream was one of his babies).

Sadly he has never provided me with any sled oil.
Trying not to derail, but now I want A bag full of JBCs...that’s Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers to the laity.

Anyone receive an invoice yet!?!?!