Pulvers Prior Briar

sfduke

Sales
For those not aware, Pulvers Prior Briar is a great website to find hidden gems. I have been a customer of Marty's since when he had a B&M here in SF.

I consider Marty Pulvers to be one of the best in the industry and fortunate to have him local to me. Gives me a reason to see him more than one a year at the West Coast pipe show.

KeithK

Marty is a wonderful person and Sherlock's Haven was a special place. I worked near by and spent many a lunch hour smoking and chatting with the regulars. It was more like a club than a shop. While friends and coworkers ran off to the nearest bar after work, I'd head back over to Sherlock's for a good smoke and great conversation.
Marty helped me pick out my first pipe over 25 years ago and it's still with me; a Castello sea rock billiard. It's the only one I didn't sell off when I quit smoking (I'm back at it) and not because it's a great smoker, but because of all of the great memories associated with it from that haven.

TrubkaJoe

I'd really like to want to help you with that.
Sales
He has a lot of great deals, but I always miss the good ones in my price range. I visit the site regularly just to read "The Mill". He's got the best pipe descriptions I've read anywhere, though I do wish I knew what size his thumb is so I could get a better idea of the chamber diameters.

KeithK

I love reading The Mill too. The quote from his mother and wife is best:

Years ago, my mother told my then newish wife that when I was a kid, all they had to do to keep me quiet was put a hat on my head, a corn cob in my mouth, and shove me in the back seat of the car. My wife replied, “Nothings’s changed, except now he’s in the front seat.”

DrumsAndBeer

I remember the old Sherlock’s Haven back in the day. I never got there as much as I wanted to, but I wasn’t as avid as I am nowadays. Definitely up there with some of the Bay Area greats though, like Grant’s, Teleford’s and Mission Pipe. My mainstay for tobacco at the time was a magazine shop in Palo Alto, a Tinderbox in Sunnyvale and a cigar dealer down the road. Anything beyond the peninsula was a bit out of my routine. Anyway Marty knows his stuff. Nice guy, great sense of humor.

Mikewood

Sales
I love reading The Mill too. The quote from his mother and wife is best:

Years ago, my mother told my then newish wife that when I was a kid, all they had to do to keep me quiet was put a hat on my head, a corn cob in my mouth, and shove me in the back seat of the car. My wife replied, “Nothings’s changed, except now he’s in the front seat.”
Messenger boy working for Mackay Telegraph Company. Waco, Texas, 1913. colorized image.

C4ACA2B7-FF96-41E2-A9E0-62A4727166F6.jpeg

KeithK

I've been a happy customer for years.
Some of his pipe descriptions are absolute gold for chuckles.
I agree about the "sold" pipes being a pain.
But at least his current site has a better layout.
His old site was not nearly as user friendly.
Here one of his descriptions for a Peterson pot he obviously wasn't impressed with:
"Can you put lipstick on a pig and sell it as something handsome? Peterson can. They must have brought in someone from the Guinness factory to do the carving on this bowl because it couldn’t have been done by anyone with pipe knowledge or experience. Then, when the brewer went back to testing specific gravity levels, Peterson put silver on the shank and tenon with nothing more nefarious in mind than getting top dollar for it."

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Here one of his descriptions for a Peterson pot he obviously wasn't impressed with:
"Can you put lipstick on a pig and sell it as something handsome? Peterson can. They must have brought in someone from the Guinness factory to do the carving on this bowl because it couldn’t have been done by anyone with pipe knowledge or experience. Then, when the brewer went back to testing specific gravity levels, Peterson put silver on the shank and tenon with nothing more nefarious in mind than getting top dollar for it."

That's a perfect example.
Absolute gold.

Chadtroq

Sales
Thought I'd comment on this old thread as I recently purchased from Marty. Picked up an excellent smoker at a steal! Delivered timely with a handwritten note...I mean, who does that any more? I found it a really great experience and assured him via email that I will be a repeat customer. I kind of got annoyed a little at first with the listing of sold pipes along with available ones but the more I think about it, I actually kind of like it. There may be something hiding in the midst of sold pipes that someone else would have passed over or not looked long enough to see. Makes me feel like I'm really "finding" something. Anyway, there's my two cents.

Top Bottom