Question about getting Zippo pipe lighter inserts

Tianlin

So I know you can send any Zippo of proper size to the company's repairs department and they'll swap out the standard windproof insert and send it back with a pipe lighter insert if you'd like. I asked their customer service folks this question, but it was embedded within other questions and went unanswered.

It's a brass Zippo, and I know brass pipe inserts do exist, but I've also seen a number of lighters of colors I'd expect would get brass pipe inserts which got chrome ones instead.

So if I send a brass Zippo in for a pipe lighter insert, will they automatically use a brass insert for the swap, or would it just come back with a standard chrome one instead? Do I need to specially ask for it to be brass or anything like that?

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
@Ronv69 What is it about the Thunderbird inserts that you like better?
I'm not @Ronv69 and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a while, but I have had a Thunderbird insert.

I found the Thunderbird to be kind of "high maintenance," for fuel and flints -- although I admit I used regular butane. It also is not very wind-worthy, so in that regard they are un-Zippo like. However, they do give a nice soft flame and and a good light with that reassuring "click" when opened.

For me the Z-Plus insert has been preferable to the Thunderbird. It's about the same, but no flints. I've had one in use for several years now. Liked the first one I got as a premium with an order so much that after the dog swiped it from the table and buried it in the yard I had to get another. (Found it, but the soil is actually sand here and the lighter never recovered, but the case lived on.)

Kraken

recently released
Forum Guide
I bought a zippo off of eBay and wanted a pipe insert. So I called zippo and placed an order for some fluid and extra flints and asked them very nicely if they would also please send me a pipe insert. At first I was told they prefer to have the zippo sent in, but since I was ordering several items anyways they decided it would be ok to just send one. I'm not sure if that could be duplicated or if the answer would be any different if I had asked for brass. But I thought I'd put it out there

Ronv69

I'm not @Ronv69 and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a while, but I have had a Thunderbird insert.

I found the Thunderbird to be kind of "high maintenance," for fuel and flints -- although I admit I used regular butane. It also is not very wind-worthy, so in that regard they are un-Zippo like. However, they do give a nice soft flame and and a good light with that reassuring "click" when opened.

For me the Z-Plus insert has been preferable to the Thunderbird. It's about the same, but no flints. I've had one in use for several years now. Liked the first one I got as a premium with an order so much that after the dog swiped it from the table and buried it in the yard I had to get another. (Found it, but the soil is actually sand here and the lighter never recovered, but the case lived on.)
I also have a Z-Plus and I agree that it is in some ways better than the Thunderbird. I don't believe that either are less wind resistant than the Zippo pipe inserts. Those don't work at all for me outside, while the butane inserts perform well.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
I also have a Z-Plus and I agree that it is in some ways better than the Thunderbird. I don't believe that either are less wind resistant than the Zippo pipe inserts. Those don't work at all for me outside, while the butane inserts perform well.
I think I agree with you, if I understand. Both Thunderbird and Z-Pipe are butane inserts and like most any butane lighter they aren't great in any kind of a breeze. I use my Z-Pipe insert outside, but patio is protected from the wind by the house on two side. Zippos, regular or with pipe inserts, do better in the wind. If I'm packing my pipe bag and know I'm going to be outside I take a Zippo.

Ronv69

I think I agree with you, if I understand. Both Thunderbird and Z-Pipe are butane inserts and like most any butane lighter they aren't great in any kind of a breeze. I use my Z-Pipe insert outside, but patio is protected from the wind by the house on two side. Zippos, regular or with pipe inserts, do better in the wind. If I'm packing my pipe bag and know I'm going to be outside I take a Zippo.
Difference. IMHO, the butane inserts work better in the wind than the Zippo.
Since you are in Corpus, you are more exposed to the wind than I, so your opinion is probably right.
Note :edited to add last sentence.

craig

So I know you can send any Zippo of proper size to the company's repairs department and they'll swap out the standard windproof insert and send it back with a pipe lighter insert if you'd like. I asked their customer service folks this question, but it was embedded within other questions and went unanswered.

It's a brass Zippo, and I know brass pipe inserts do exist, but I've also seen a number of lighters of colors I'd expect would get brass pipe inserts which got chrome ones instead.

So if I send a brass Zippo in for a pipe lighter insert, will they automatically use a brass insert for the swap, or would it just come back with a standard chrome one instead? Do I need to specially ask for it to be brass or anything like that?
since royal mail are so finicky when it comes to lifters in transit, I just get mine off eBay, I bought a brass insert off eBay so you can get hold of them, but either way, in time they all look the same anyway due to the burn marks.