What's new

Recent Dunhill Production

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
I don’t know who is producing Dunhill pipes these days or where but these caught my eye.

View attachment 20252 View attachment 20253 View attachment 20254 View attachment 20255
Seriously. Pick the shape you like and all the particulars and commission a pipe by @Sasquatch.
You will NOT be disappointed.

View attachment 20289

This is the ugliest pipe made last year. Period. No one made a worse one, not even new guys. And ... 1100 bucks. Gimme a frckin break.
Do people realize how many Sas pipes they could get for that ???????

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I have only purchased two White Spot pipes but each smokes just as well as any other Dunhill pipe I have ever owned. They are not as collectible, and perhaps not as enviable, but they are every bit as smokable. Are there other pipes made as well as (or much better than) Dunhills for a lot less money?
Of course there are but they do not have a White Spot on the stem.

Unless they do.

Last edited:

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I have only purchased two White Spot pipes but each smokes just as well as any other Dunhill pipe I have ever owned. They are not as collectible, and perhaps not as enviable, but they are every bit as smokable. Are there other pipes made as well (or much better) than Dunhills for a lot less money?
Of course there are but they do not have a White Spot on the stem.

Unless they do.
I want a Banhill more than I want another Dunhill.

Danish

Seriously. Pick the shape you like and all the particulars and commission a pipe by @Sasquatch.
You will NOT be disappointed.

Do people realize how many Sas pipes they could get for that ???????
I have seen retailers here in Europe selling nice new lightweight Dunhills from less than usd 300. How much do you think a similar Dunhill copy, like a 'Sasquatch' would cost in Denmark, with good stemwork of ebonite/vulcanite, hand made in high cost countries like Denmark or USA/Canada, and sold retail, incl. VAT? I agree the prices for some Dunhills are too high for some grades, like the Root mentioned, but their shells/ring grains are not that unreasonably priced, although I cannot myself afford another one, at the moment.

blackmouth210

I have seen retailers here in Europe selling nice new lightweight Dunhills from less than usd 300. How much do you think a similar Dunhill copy, like a 'Sasquatch' would cost in Denmark, with good stemwork of ebonite/vulcanite, hand made in high cost countries like Denmark or USA/Canada, and sold retail, incl. VAT? I agree the prices for some Dunhills are too high for some grades, like the Root mentioned, but their shells/ring grains are not that unreasonably priced, although I cannot myself afford another one, at the moment.
Location. Location. Location.
The lower costing Dunhill models you can get for around $300 START at almost $500 USD in the USA.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
I fully admit I like old Dunhills. Why--the mystique. I still only have two of the original nine I once had. I also have admitted before that I really didn't give the ones I sold a real chance. There were issues I just didn't like--drilling, and I felt they smoked a little hot. The drilling issues caused moisture issues. I guess I could have funneled the tenons, and such, but---meh. I simply lost interest in them.
One of the Dunhills I have is a Shell Briar 656--box & all bought new in 1965. I kept the book, bag, box, and all, and am glad I did. I took care of it, and it still makes me happy. Over all I still say that in the world of pipes, and pipe enthusiasts if a newer WHite Spot pipe makes you happy, and they trip your trigger--by all means enjoy them. There are a few older Dunhills that I still like when I see them. When I say old I mean old. The newer stuff just does nothing for me. The mystique that is the true old Dunhill brand is unique from a marketing standpoint to me, but I simply could never afford them right now.
You'll never hear me berate, or poke at anyone when it comes to pipe choices. Again--If one feels the newer White Spot pipes suit their personal quality, and pipe smoking standards--by all means enjoy them.
Oh-and yes--can, or could one get a super awesome-great pipe made by an Artisan--you bet. However it's all about what each individual wants, and desires. If one has the cash in hand, and truly wants a certain pipe--it is their choice. Choices are one of the great things about pipes, and tobacco.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Maybe I’m easily pleased but I’m a big fan of both artisan pipes and WWII - late 1960’s Dunhills. I wouldn’t discount the engineering of Dunhill Pipes of that era though. Below is my ‘68 Root Briar, shape 120. The floor of the mortise is concave and the draft hole is high vs the center. The tenon is actually double funneled- the first at a steep angle and the second at a shallow angle terminating about 1/2 to 3/4” behind the face of the tenon into a normal size draft for the rest of the stem. I have a ‘69 Root 120 drilled exactly the same way. Both smoke very cool, very dry, and pass a cleaner as though they were straight billiards.

B5EADC48-498A-44D6-9A58-CA9B22E7247D.jpeg

0BC4CF55-B431-4391-BB18-9F2C3C91DDF6.jpeg E612F324-E570-4D80-8E71-345B1318C718.jpeg

blackmouth210

Maybe I’m easily pleased but I’m a big fan of both artisan pipes and WWII - late 1960’s Dunhills. I wouldn’t discount the engineering of Dunhill Pipes of that era though. Below is my ‘68 Root Briar, shape 120. The floor of the mortise is concave and the draft hole is high vs the center. The tenon is actually double funneled- the first at a steep angle and the second at a shallow angle terminating about 1/2 to 3/4” behind the face of the tenon into a normal size draft for the rest of the stem. I have a ‘69 Root 120 drilled exactly the same way. Both smoke very cool, very dry, and pass a cleaner as though they were straight billiards.

View attachment 20431

View attachment 20432 View attachment 20433
Whew! That's a beauty.

I'm a fan of 60's Dunhills too.
I've never owned one older than a '64 so I don't have first hand experience with Dunhills from previous decades.
But I hope to remedy that some day. :thumb-yello:

aGAKWq

Sales
Patron
Love the LC Swan Neck. I've got two - a commissioned Wayne Teipen and a smokingpipes Michael Parks.

Teipen:

[ ^ doesn't the shadow look like a guy with the upside down stem sticking out of his mouth? ]

Dunhill 1924 Shape 120 Bent Billiard

Dunhill 1929 Shell LC

A search for the Dunhill LC

The Dunhill LC comparison page

:puffy:

Last edited:

blackmouth210

craig

The Walthamstow factory still makes pipes and leather goods for Richemont.

I know Dunhill, Charatan's, and Ben Wade branded pipes have been made there in recent years. I've been curious about the new-production Charatan's make because they sure look nice for the price.

A pity I've never found a dealer in order to look at'em up close.
also hardcastle and duncan briars are made there as well.

craig

on a personal note regarding Dunhill.

Although Dunhill do make some nice pipes, not one has made me think the asking price is worth it.
granted I could afford a Dunhill of I saved for a couple of months, but if I splurged on a Dunhill I wouldn't get that feeling where I would think it was worth the expense.

after all a pipe can be the most beautiful looking pipe that has ever graced the universe, but will it smoke better than my savinelli or butz choquin, two pipes that are fantastic smokers and 10 times less cost to buy.

Personally, my train of thought is, I would much rather have something that isn't really a looked but smokes great than a good looking pipe that may smoke no better or worse than 2 of my favourite pipes.

a classic example of this is my pipex pipes, the finishing aesthetically on some of them is a little bit off but it is purely aesthetic, they smoke beautifully every time right to the bottom and give me not one moments bother.