Recent Samuel Gawith Drop

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
I'm guessing some of you ordered stuff you'd never had before. I wanted to post something like this earlier, but it took a while for my stuff to make its way here via other more friendly states :) Any surprises or disappointments?

I tried a little bit of several things I was unsure about: Wasn't thrilled with Lakeland Dark or Brown #4 Twist. Loved Cabbie's Mixture and all the Straight Virginias. Haven't cracked the Navy Flake, Black XX or Commonwealth. Was curious about almost all the others, but you have to leave something new to try later, right?

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
Sounds like you got a good selection to sample on. It's not uncommon to run across a blend or two from any manufacturer that won't be what you would prefer.
No, I knew that going in, and I think both the Lakeland Dark and Brown #4 Twist might grow on me. I can tell they are both quality blends. The real surprise wasn't that the four straight VA's were good, but that between them I could do without any others. Also, I wasn't expecting to like the Cabbie's and it's now my favorite non-straight Virginia.

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
You aren't alone. Reading the reviews, I wasn't sure what to think; however, there were some people who thought it was the greatest thing ever, so I had to give it a shot. I like that the Virginias really come through strong and the perique is just a light enhancer. Maybe it's too young and needs to be cellared, but I really enjoy 'fresh' Virginia blends. The old stuff can be too sugary for me.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
I'm a little verklempt now realizing that Cabbie's is five years old, I still thought it was newer than that

I remember when it came out all excited thinking it was going to be a new and improved Three Nuns offering. I mean, maybe it was. Maybe people just say Three Nuns was good to make people who haven't had the real stuff feel bad and actually it sucks. I don't know, I've never had it.

But Cabbies felt like a real watered down tobacco and also bad when I tried it.

FrankHall

Well-known ember
Sales
I'm a little verklempt now realizing that Cabbie's is five years old, I still thought it was newer than that

I remember when it came out all excited thinking it was going to be a new and improved Three Nuns offering. I mean, maybe it was. Maybe people just say Three Nuns was good to make people who haven't had the real stuff feel bad and actually it sucks. I don't know, I've never had it.

That's what makes a horse race. Good to have both ends of the horse participating.

lowercaseG

There are some blends that seem like they would fit squarely in my wheelhouse but for whatever reason, they just don't ring any bells. Cabbie's and Three Nuns are two of them. Their not bad to me, just meh. Weird.

headrott

I'm still on the fence about Cabbie's Mixture. Not sure why.
It’s interesting. The first tin of Cabbie’s Mixture I opened was phenomenal. It was pretty sweet and fruity. The second had a very different Virginia tobacco flavor and very little sweetness or fruitiness. I have yet to open a third, but am hoping it’s more like the first.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
In the late 90’s and early 00’s I ordered Commonwealth by the pound bag. Flat out great Virginia /Latakia goodness.
It gets knocked around for being so straightforward, but that stuff was in my pipe all day, every day for a long time.
i wish i could still handle latakia because i distinctly remember the one, single can of commonwealth i had while i still could and it was amazing

then one day thbpt latakia became awful to me so i never got to enjoy more of it