What's new

Red Virginia

Virginias are traditionally cased with a simple syrup solution (aka Inverted Sugars). Some folks add citrus rinds, red wine and other relatively acidic substances to the boil and a bit of white Vinegar to help convert the sucrose to glucose and some other scientific crap I never understood and could care less about) In this case I decided to forgo the citrus and I used Apple Cider Vinegar and some red wine to just accent the flavors of the Red V(When I say "A Little goes a long way" I mean it)
Remember guys, this does not flavor the tobacco. You aren't going to taste or smell the ingredients unless you have super -spidey sense. They are used to help mellow the tobaccos and accent the natural tangy flavors of the Red V.

You could do a couple things after casing to further enhance the blend. You could toast the tobacco at 305 deg for a bit to carmelize the sugars and give a different, sweeter flavor or you can press it and age it for a while to marry it all together which is what I did. I just rubbed it all out and dried it down. Im letting it sit for a few weeks and then we'll package it.

E.

So what was the casing secret?

Honestly, even if I did give my recipes out (which I don't) it's not like anyone is going to be able to make the exact same thing. I have no issue telling anyone what a blend is cased with or the basic proportions for 2 reasons

1. When I started blending, getting any information at all was like pulling hens teeth from the :ass: of a constipated librarian.
2. People should basically know what is going into something they are going to smoke.

E.

I would guess he might be reluctant to post his recipes. I don't know many blenders that talk about their methods or procedures.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while.

What brand will you sell this under?

What do you call the blend?

I think I would like to try it when it is ready.

Todd
I think we’re going with “Simply Red”. I’m not sure if it’s proper for me to be advertising here so I’ll just say that I’m the blender at Watch City Cigar. And you can figure it out. This won’t be ready for a few weeks, though.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I think we’re going with “Simply Red”. I’m not sure if it’s proper for me to be advertising here so I’ll just say that I’m the blender at Watch City Cigar. And you can figure it out. This won’t be ready for a few weeks, though.
It's a fine line between showing "work in progress" and advertising for pipe-makers too, but we crossed that line a long time ago. You're good.

Honestly, even if I did give my recipes out (which I don't) it's not like anyone is going to be able to make the exact same thing.
1. When I started blending, getting any information at all was like pulling hens teeth from the ::ass:: of a constipated librarian.
2. People should basically know what is going into something they are going to smoke.

E.
Pulling hens teeth. No kidding!:hahaha-024: Trade secrets are what keep folks buying and not running off making their own. And like you say, several folks can make the same blend and come up with different results. It's like cooking, every chef tweaks the basic recipe, and the way the ingredients are handled embue the end results with unique nuances. It is nice to know what's going into what we consume too, so your input and information is appreciated!:thumb-yello: