What's new

Rehydrate Tobacco

Isaac

Patron
So I bought a couple of boxes of Samuel Gawith at a local B&M. A 250g box of FVF and a 1lb. box of BBF. I’m pretty sure they were on the shelf for quite some time. When I opened them, they were dry as a bone. First touch the tobacco was brittle and wanted to crumble. The owner of the B&M offered to take them back and refund me, but recommended I just rehydrate them with a hydration disc in a plastic bag for a few days. Said to give it a try, smoke a bowl, and if i wasn’t happy, he still refund me.

So, is that the best way to go about rehydrating? Is there a better way or is this just hopeless? Once rehydrated, will it be of lesser quality had it not dried out so much?

Last edited:

Hawky454

I would get my money back. In my experience once a tobacco dries out that much it never fully comes back to being as good as it should be and sometimes it can even give me tongue bite. That being said, there are a lot of ways to go about rehydrating tobacco, I prefer to put the tobacco is a bowl and cover it with a wet cloth. Make sure to add water to the cloth as it dries out. This method usually takes anywhere from 24 to 36 hours. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Hawky454

Haha! I’ve never snuffed. :) Not sure I’m ready for that. Based on the advice, I’m leaning towards just returning it on Monday and picking up some tins instead.
I really think that’s your best option. Plenty of other great tobaccos to be had rather than taking on some rehydration project. If the tobacco was given to me that would be one thing but I’d never pay for dried out tobacco, no matter how rare it is.

Ozark Wizard

There is a lesson here for anyone who asks about storing and aging SG tobaccos in the box.
A friend of mine did that. Had collected several pounds of SG boxes. FVF, SJF, and others over the years. One day he decided he was going to trim down his cellar and offered up a bunch for sale. Cut throat pricing had me jump for two boxes. He had opened up a five years younger box than he was sending and said it was totally destroyed. He had to get the post office to return the package before it got here, and threw out something on the order of ten pounds of aged SG, still in cellophane.

I would have been heartbroken.

Isaac

Patron
I’d try a bowl of each as they are.
Thank you for the suggestion. :) I tried a bowl of the dry BBF followed immediately by a bowl of fresh BBF I have in a jar in the same cob. Maybe it’s not as dry as I thought, or perhaps my palate isn’t too great, but I actually didn’t notice much difference, almost none at all. The dry did burn a lot cooler. The only discernible difference to me was the dry was just a tad weaker in flavor than the fresh. But not enough for me to mind, heck, hardly notice. I’m on to trying to rehydrate them both with humidification buttons in ziploc bags. I would like a little more moisture in it. Give it a try again in a few days. Worst case, I’ll take it back and grab some of the tins the B&M had in stock. :) Again, I appreciate the advice, suggestions, and opinions from all.

Shasta Piper

Thank you for the suggestion. :) I tried a bowl of the dry BBF followed immediately by a bowl of fresh BBF I have in a jar in the same cob. Maybe it’s not as dry as I thought, or perhaps my palate isn’t too great, but I actually didn’t notice much difference, almost none at all. The dry did burn a lot cooler. The only discernible difference to me was the dry was just a tad weaker in flavor than the fresh. But not enough for me to mind, heck, hardly notice. I’m on to trying to rehydrate them both with humidification buttons in ziploc bags. I would like a little more moisture in it. Give it a try again in a few days. Worst case, I’ll take it back and grab some of the tins the B&M had in stock. :) Again, I appreciate the advice, suggestions, and opinions from all.
That’s great! Flakes can still have a lot of moisture even when they seem too dry. Keep us posted and try a few more bowls dry, I bet it will grow on you.(y)

Isaac

Patron
So know I’m starting to think I’ve been smoking my tobacco too moist all along. When I discovered that it should be dried some, I started doing so and noticed a cooler, more flavorful smoke. But now I’m starting to think I still wasn’t drying enough. :) I’m still hydrating the FVF and BBF over the course of this week, but I’ve smoked a couple of bowls of each between last night and today and it’s delightful! I’m happy the B&M offered to refund me, but I’m thinking I’m going to keep it now. I’d much rather have these amounts of these blends than my money back. I’ve been doing as @Shasta Piper recommended, breaking the flake into pieces...which is quite easy as they just snap off with the lightest pressure...and gravity feeding into my pipe. Filling it up to the rim, no packing really just pushing it down at the end with my thumb a little, and lighting away. It’s cool and flavorful and I don’t feel like I’m missing anything. :) My question now is, should I rehydrate at all? My plan is to jar it in about 2oz portions. Should I rehydrate a little and then jar it or jar it as is? I’m assuming if I jar it now, and sealed airtight, it won’t dry out further, but I’m not sure about that. I’m thinking of rehydrating some and then jarring, but curious of others advice and opinions. :)

@Shasta Piper , thank you!!! :puffy:

Edit: I should mention that the 1lb. of BBF and 1/2lb. of FVF will last me quite a while. I’m guessing as often as I’ll smoke it and as many other blends I have open and am smoking, it’ll take me a couple of years. So my goal is to do what’s best to keep it preserve long term.

cigrmaster

If it were my tobacco, I would put all the flakes carefully into a large mixing bowl. Then take a towel big enough to cover the bowl, and soak the towel. Squeeze all the water you can out of the towel and then place it over the bowl without touching the tobacco. Check it in around 6 hours and keep checking until it is to the moisture content you want. Then put the tobacco in the smaller jars.