Sam Gawith Lines To Be Discontinued

PiperAtTheGates

Patron
Many of these hadn’t been seen in the US for at least several drops. Not so sure many of them would have ever been filed with the FDA. If this list is accurate, I assume the same condition applies as was stated in Gawiths Facebook page rom yesterday, I.e., if we get orders for sufficient quantities we will make it.
That is the list I was sent, I can only pass on the information I'm given. I was told that the minimum weight for an order is 10kg. As I say I'm just passing on what I have been told by G&H and my main tobacconist who I trust.

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpō
Patron
The blends that I've been told that are planned to be discontinued are as follows.

All aromatic twist except Brown Irish, Brown Bogie, Brown Pigtail & Sliced Black.

Kendal Flake
Does that mean only the plain/unscented version of all those mentioned stays on the 'stock' list - that's a strange call by GH, I understand that most of the rope sold is flavoured. The nearest B&M to me, in Doncaster, carry nearly as much rope as baccy (probably due to the mining history in the area) and nearly all of it is flavoured

Kendal Flake - that's another really good one :( - Ennerdale-lite plus a good slug of geranium is how I describe that one

mingc

That is the list I was sent, I can only pass on the information I'm given. I was told that the minimum weight for an order is 10kg. As I say I'm just passing on what I have been told by G&H and my main tobacconist who I trust.
10 kg is 22 lbs. That's not a lot. One of our hoarders here could easily order that amount in just one go, if allowed. :cool:

But if the item was never filed with the FDA, it can't be imported anyway, right?

PiperAtTheGates

Patron
Does that mean only the plain/unscented version of all those mentioned stays on the 'stock' list - that's a strange call by GH, I understand that most of the rope sold is flavoured. The nearest B&M to me, in Doncaster, carry nearly as much rope as baccy (probably due to the mining history in the area) and nearly all of it is flavoured

Kendal Flake - that's another really good one :( - Ennerdale-lite plus a good slug of geranium is how I describe that one
That's strange Rothers, I think just about every rope smoker I ever knew only smoke the unscented, myself included. But, then again I'm no miner, maybe the miners liked to vary their diet while they were chewing on the rope.

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpō
Patron
That's strange Rothers, I think just about every rope smoker I ever knew only smoke the unscented, myself included. But, then again I'm no miner, maybe the miners liked to vary their diet while they were chewing on the rope.
Different strokes :) - I've got several ropes in the cellar, all scented. I've never smoked any of the plain stuff

BTW The first time I got some Aniseed Twist at that B&M in Donny they didn't believe I was going to smoke it rather than chew it :puffy:

PiperAtTheGates

Patron
Different strokes :) - I've got several ropes in the cellar, all scented. I've never smoked any of the plain stuff

BTW The first time I got some Aniseed Twist at that B&M in Donny they didn't believe I was going to smoke it rather than chew it :puffy:
Yes, I think the flavoured rope was meant to impart some kind of taste to all the coal dust. But as the great Angelo Dundee used to say to Ali, "keep off the ropes". If it's good enough advice for Ali it's good enough for me.:sf1:

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Does that mean a 10kg min is required for them to make something being removed from their order list?
Or does the 10kg min just mean that's the smallest order they'll ship?

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
My understanding is that 10kg would be the minimum for each large pressing.
Thanks.
I imagine it would be rather easy for an online tobacconist to sell 22+ pounds of some of those blends that are being removed from the order list.
They could very well sell that in a matter of minutes if properly promoted as a "special order" on social media.

sfduke

Sales
Thanks.
I imagine it would be rather easy for an online tobacconist to sell 22+ pounds of some of those blends that are being removed from the order list.
They could very well sell that in a matter of minutes if properly promoted as a "special order" on social media.
I personally would buy 22+ pounds for myself if it was one of my favorite blends. Fortunately Bright CR flake is not in the list.

PiperAtTheGates

Patron
Thanks.
To be honest I'm surprised that Cannon is on the list due to 'poor sales'. It's been around a long time and is very popular, I've a feeling it will survive the cull.

The 10 kg number is one I have heard about in the past from different UK shops back in the days when I ordered stuff from them, and Tarek who used to be with Synjeco, might have mentioned that quantity even further back. I am not sure it still applies, and I would imagine there might have to be some considerable allowance for lead time as busy as they are.

For those of us in the US, the FDA status is an additional consideration, and time - and only time- will tell how all that shakes out.

jpberg

Wicked Insightful
Staff member
Sales
The 10 kg number is one I have heard about in the past from different UK shops back in the days when I ordered stuff from them, and Tarek who used to be with Synjeco, might have mentioned that quantity even further back. I am not sure it still applies, and I would imagine there might have to be some considerable allowance for lead time as busy as they are.

For those of us in the US, the FDA status is an additional consideration, and time - and only time- will tell how all that shakes out.
Yes indeed. We can speculate, piss, moan and prognosticate until the cows come home, or we can wait and see.

Ernie Q

Sales
Patron
Yes, I think the flavoured rope was meant to impart some kind of taste to all the coal dust. But as the great Angelo Dundee used to say to Ali, "keep off the ropes". If it's good enough advice for Ali it's good enough for me.:sf1:
I got a taste for chewing Sweet Whiskey twist....I love it. Half an inch chunk and I’m good for half a day. Now I’ll have to go back to Oliver Twist...problem with that is one “tin” of that is only about 2-3 portions For me. One piece my :ass:.