Sam Gawith Lines To Be Discontinued

snake

permanent ankle biter
Sales
Patron
As a tobacco retailer of some 25 years (most of my adult life) I may have a very different view. You see, blends come and go. They also change and evolve due to many various reasons. @Codgerindecline mentions Burley London Blend...one of my old favorites. I have a few tins left in my stash. Every once in a while I open a tin and recall how good it was. At some point I will have smoked it all and I’ll look back and remember how good it was. I certainly won’t die and rending my garments isn’t my style. There are (for now) plenty Of other choices out there.

I think back on when I started in tobacco in 1995 when we could still sell, acquire and blend tobacco. With relative impunity and think that anyone who goes into the business of retail or wholesale tobacco Now was either born into it or has farts in his head. I’ve said it before amd I’ll say it again...if things continue the way they are going, this business has 10 or so good years left. The more states legalize and tax Marijuana the less tobacco revenue is needed. We’re expendable now more than ever.

So I understand the sense of urgency that adds to the frustration of not being able to procure your favorite blends. great outfits like the Sheffield exchange aren’t going to happen again. I loved those guys. A typical phone call to them went like this-
“Yeah, Sheffield”
“Hey It’s Watch City”
“Whaddaya need today”
“We need 5 bags of Cannon Plug, 3 Dark Plug Rose Geranium, 5 DVC, 5 whiskey Twist, and about 10 tins of each of the tinned blends. And send me a set of the cheap Rogers pipe knives and two of the “Shrewsbury” knives made out of stag. Oh, and a dozen mixed figurall clay pipes and a box of the large sized Gawith menthol snuff.“
“Ok we’ll get that out today”.
Now it’s a game and it’s not the fun kind....buy what you can. Don’t make yourself insane over lost blends and keep a good cellar. That’s all we can do.
@Codgerindecline taking into consideration your insights above I have to ask what are your thoughts on the feasibility of multiple US Distributors?
You had me at Dark Plug Rose Geranium.

FrankHall

Sales
To be honest I'm surprised that Cannon is on the list due to 'poor sales'. It's been around a long time and is very popular, I've a feeling it will survive the cull.
I just tried this for the first time. Someone sent me a box last week. When it arrived the odor was really horrifying - like some nasty strong perfume that was popular in the '70s. I cut it up, sealed it, and stored it separately from any other tobacco. But when I smoked my first bowl this morning, it was surprisingly NOT Lakeland-like. Just a light pleasant floral on really good Virginia. Actually, I love it.

Synjeco has it - I would recommend that anyone who has any interest in trying it, read @JimInks 's review - I found it very useful - and grab some while you can.

Thank you for all your comments. I can assure you we do have the world wide web here in Kendal. And we do try and keep on top of the comments, rumours and points made on forums and social media. I think the matter has already been answered very well by one or two commentators. But to reiterate:

- No product has been de-continued as such. We have simply decided not to hold stock of certain lines that did not sell in large amounts in the UK MARKET. However, these products are still available if the retailer wishes to order the minimum quantity. In the UK this is 5kg minimum order.

- This decision effects the UK market ONLY and not export. The export market works with different quantities and each country has different requirements with regard to packaging, labels, warnings etc. All importers in all countries have the list of all products available and can order those (so long as the minimum requirements are met). So if a product is not available it is simply because the importer has not ordered it.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Thank you for all your comments. I can assure you we do have the world wide web here in Kendal. And we do try and keep on top of the comments, rumours and points made on forums and social media. I think the matter has already been answered very well by one or two commentators. But to reiterate:

- No product has been de-continued as such. We have simply decided not to hold stock of certain lines that did not sell in large amounts in the UK MARKET. However, these products are still available if the retailer wishes to order the minimum quantity. In the UK this is 5kg minimum order.

- This decision effects the UK market ONLY and not export. The export market works with different quantities and each country has different requirements with regard to packaging, labels, warnings etc. All importers in all countries have the list of all products available and can order those (so long as the minimum requirements are met). So if a product is not available it is simply because the importer has not ordered it.
I would like to thank you for your responses. It's better to hear from the source than flopping around trying to discern the facts based on heresay and reading tea leaves.