• Please read the rules before posting or replying here -- no banter, no off-topic replies please. Link to the rules: Old Codger Rules.

Savinelli Question/ Thoughts

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
I guess I'd ask what you are hoping to accomplish. I have a Punto Oro Gold, it was about 200 bucks. It's... okay. But for just a little more scratch I could have had a Castello direct from tabacheria Guzzi or Corti, and I think next time, that's what I'd do.

If you like the savinelli balsa filter and that's important to you, then the Puntos are a nicely finished pipe, the stems are just a little nicer in the teeth. Mine is not drilled wonderfully, but it smokes totally adequate.

So I guess my answer is, if you have a budget of 200 bucks, they are not a bad pipe. If you have a budget of 250-300 bucks, pull a Castello out of Italy and that's a different level of quality.

MDSmoke

I guess I'd ask what you are hoping to accomplish. I have a Punto Oro Gold, it was about 200 bucks. It's... okay. But for just a little more scratch I could have had a Castello direct from tabacheria Guzzi or Corti, and I think next time, that's what I'd do.

If you like the savinelli balsa filter and that's important to you, then the Puntos are a nicely finished pipe, the stems are just a little nicer in the teeth. Mine is not drilled wonderfully, but it smokes totally adequate.

So I guess my answer is, if you have a budget of 200 bucks, they are not a bad pipe. If you have a budget of 250-300 bucks, pull a Castello out of Italy and that's a different level of quality.
Thank you. No, I am not a filter guy. I will look into a Castello. Thank you for the advice.

TrubkaJoe

Patron
Haven't tried a new Punto Oro, but the old ones (with vulcanite and no filter) I've smoked are fantastic, and I enthusiastically recommend those. My sense of the current production is that you're basically paying 50-150 extra for nicer grain, fit and finish, and maybe a slightly better stem. Not quite worth it for me personally, but I've sure come close a few times.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Haven't tried a new Punto Oro, but the old ones (with vulcanite and no filter) I've smoked are fantastic, and I enthusiastically recommend those. My sense of the current production is that you're basically paying 50-150 extra for nicer grain, fit and finish, and maybe a slightly better stem. Not quite worth it for me personally, but I've sure come close a few times.
I have a couple of Sav Punto Oro that have no filter. Great pipes, but I got them some time ago.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
@Sasquatch may just be acting with the typical modesty you‘d expect of a Queen’s Counsel‘s wig-wearing orangutan but he has an excellent write up on his experiences with a modern Punto Oro here:

https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/savinelli-punto-oro-an-unfair-and-hopefully-ongoing-review.3447/

I 100% agree with the advice to spend a little more and get a Castello from one of the Italian retailers. Savinelli makes a nice pipe in the lower/mid price range but I have a batting average of zero with their higher end pipes. None have worked out. On the other hand I have more Castellos than any other make in my collection mainly because I’ve sold hardly any since my first one in 2003.

PKT

I have a number of early 70s Savs and really like the way they smoke. If, however, I were buying a new pipe for $200. I would not get a Sav but would choose a handmade pipe. Buying a hand made pipe from a craftsperson is a great experience and part of the allure of our addiction.