Sealed tins on ebay

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Here's my 2 cents: the fact that ebay has removed sealed tin listings will only serve to drive prices up for them, as these are becoming harder to find, and buy, without doing a face to face transaction.
I agree.

Scarcity of resource will ultimately result in higher price.

I still survey the 'bay looking for overlooked gems but the pickins is slim slim slim indeedy...

...some listings seem to survive, perhaps if it is clearly antiquarian?

This unopened cutter-top tin of Capstan is from WW2 era, you can always tell because of the half labels like that due to wartime restrictions and paper being at a premium, however, this particular tin has some huge rust pinholes on the top which would mean the baccy ain't gonna be too good --- but there's still a bidder on it.

If this old 1lb. Gallaher tin was unopened, I'd buy it in a flash at asking price.

The stuff dreams are made of:

MakDragon

Optomistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Patron
The financial risk is solely on the seller. If Ebay confiscated an item that you've paid for you're automatically refunded your total payment inclusive shipping. The seller on the other hand loses the item and the money. 99% of tobacco I've bought got delivered no problems. The couple of times Ebay confiscated I received automatic total refund. The tobacco product is then incinerated..
I am just curious about confiscation.
If someone lists a tin of tobacco and then someone pays for it and the seller sends it to them directly, how does eBay confiscate?

BubbaBriar

I am just curious about confiscation.
If someone lists a tin of tobacco and then someone pays for it and the seller sends it to them directly, how does eBay confiscate?
So happened that the 2 times Ebay did confiscate the seller shipped using Ebay's Global Shipping Program. That said, a lot of the other tins I bought also went thru Ebay's Global Shipping and it worked fine.

Seller shipping directly and the auction is said and done I don't see how Ebay could do squat diddly.

JAK

It is all because someone got seriously butthurt he couldn't stock up beforehand. I know because he sent me a lengthy message on eBay when I posted a tin early in the summer. He and a few of his friends spent all day searching and reporting every McClelland post when there was plenty. It was a lot of work at first but now there are so few ads it is easy for him to keep up. All because his feelings got hurt that he couldn't afford current McClelland prices. Does it violate the rules? Sure it does but it's been a gray area eBay has chosen to overlook for years. To think eBay has singled out and watches for McClelland tins is nonsense. They want to make profits on you selling stuff. They react when someone goes to the bottom and clicks report item. It doesn't hurt me one way or the other. I tried to sell a few tins so I could afford the few I was searching for. I would have to pay the same prices so in the end it would be basically the same as trading tin for tin.

What cracks me up is all the guys whining about gouging but before McClelland shut their doors they had no problem paying $100 for aged Christmas Cheer or going to a pipe show and forking over 5 to 10 times retail for their favorite hard to find non McClelland blends. Have you guys seen current pipe show prices? They are higher than eBay. Those brothers aren't looking out for anyone but their own wallets. So what? It is their property to do with as they wish. Supply and demand. If you don't like the prices move on and buy something readily available at a reasonable price. No need to get all upset over some pipe tobacco.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The financial risk is solely on the seller. If Ebay confiscated an item that you've paid for you're automatically refunded your total payment inclusive shipping. The seller on the other hand loses the item and the money. 99% of tobacco I've bought got delivered no problems. The couple of times Ebay confiscated I received automatic total refund. The tobacco product is then incinerated..
To be fair, it's meant to be incinerated ;)

Sorringowl

Busy Bird
Sales
Here's my 2 cents: the fact that ebay has removed sealed tin listings will only serve to drive prices up for them, as these are becoming harder to find, and buy, without doing a face to face transaction.
Think I should add to my previous 2 cents (for a total of 4 cents): I believe a thing is worth as much or as little as a seller is willing to sell it for and a buyer is willing to buy it for. As long as each is happy, the rest is like stocks, prices and supply/demand will go up and down. I have never paid more for any tin of tobacco than I could buy a decent pipe for, but, that's just me. There are so many tobaccos I've yet to try, I'd just as soon try something new. That said, I don't hold it against anyone to pay more than I would, and I don't necessarily applaud someone who sells a tin for "market price," (whatever that is--for an out of circulation tin). I'm just as happy when someone finds a bargain as I am when someone sells an in-demand tin for a small mint.

If you wait long enough for anything, you can always get anything at a price you're happy with.

Mr.Maduro

Lots of people are selling things on Insta gram these days... the thought crossed my mind a few times but you have to have trust. There is no host to refund payments if a seller flakes out but there is also no host to take fees from both buyer and seller.

Also i hear there are a lot of people selling cigars in face book groups but I’m not on face book so I can’t confirm.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
I flipped a tin of Penzance on there a few years back, they blacklisted me (I pissed somebody off).
So, I still sell a pipe here & there or a book or something, but I just watch the tins. They suspended me for that Penzance tin.
Whatever, it's not worth the hassle. The vintage tins I have now I would not want to sell anyway.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
I paid approximately the same price I would have paid for a tin of whatever for a sealed package of Mick McQuaid Plug on Ebay. I thank my lucky stars I was able to try this tobacco and there was a willing seller.
+1

I also thank my lucky stars that there was a venue which provided a conduit to find discontinued old UK tobaccos for bargain prices,
my smoking life would be much poorer without that opportunity and I'm at least glad I was able to get in the window before it closed.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
One thing that really amazes me is:

it seems like all over the world, people are aging their pipe tobacco. yet when I'm talking to german pipe smokers, only some
cigar guys that occasionally smoke a pipe do. Everyone else just buys a tub/tin/pouch, smokes it, then buys the next.

I recently showed my cellar to a friend who's been smoking pipes for a couple of decades. His response: what do you need all
that tobacco for? I don't see us preparing for another war.

It's that kind of mentality that keeps me from buying pipe tobacco on ebay: all you get are fresh tins from
the same online retailers I sometimes order from. They offer much more on their websites, so it makes no sense using ebay.

obviously, every once in a while you're running into a dude selling his long deceised grandpa's pipe collection, and
sometime he'll throw in the one unopened tin they found in his pipe cabinet with a 2000 bucks peterson from 1952.

yeah: we germans are lucky to be allowed to trade tobacco via ebay. too bad nobody has any.