Seeking advice with estates

Sidd

Hi everyone,

I purchased a couple of estate pipes and restored them to the extent that I could at home. Now the pipes are ok for me however when I look at the bowls closely I can detent the finish that has come off in places. Like the bowl has a glossy shine but on some areas it suddenly goes dim as if the finish (whatever was there) has been worn off. I tried to shine it with beexwax, olive oil, car wax etc everything works and shines no doubt but after buffing for as much as I can- I can see a shiny bowl no doubt but same result I can detect where the finish has worn off.

1. Any ideas on how to get the finish back? the easiest method is to give to a wood-worker and has him to coat with lacquer or varnish but I have head that will make the pipe burn hotter and I can't risk that.

2. Also some of my stems (both vulcanite and acrylic) are not as shiny and have a bit of scratchy hazy surface. I do not want to go the sanding way because its risky and there is no stem polish available here. Any remedy - homemade- any suggestions ??? I have tried the same shines as with bowls but nothing works as such nicely.

Regards,
Sidd

Rodfather

Misty, Fetch !
Patron
Get some 0000 steel wool and take the varnish or whatever off then you can wax it. I have done it with some practice pipes on some cheap factory pipes, works good. I would not try and replicate the original finish. If it has fills, it has fills, you can’t hide them.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
I would offer up some advice, but I will tell you to seek out Spillproof, and some other pipe makers on our forum. These folks can get you moving in the right direction from the get-go. While I've played at the restoration game a bit there are others here at PSD that have great levels of experience at doing this.
Paging Spillproof

Sidd

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Those aren't fills those are just the old finish wearing off ... The whole bowls shines a certain degree but in places I can clearly see the shine gone as if the finish has worn off... I look forward to further opinions and advice.

ShilohHollow

Anchors Aweigh
Staff member
Sales
Can you post some pictures? I'm curious if the pipes are already coated with a lacquer finish and that is coming off. If that's the case no polishing will really blend the dull spots with that.

As for the stems you're gonna have to sand and buff. You can try polishing with toothpaste, but it'll be faster to wet sand and then buff. At least that's my experience.

Arkie

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Those aren't fills those are just the old finish wearing off ... The whole bowls shines a certain degree but in places I can clearly see the shine gone as if the finish has worn off... I look forward to further opinions and advice.
Sometimes when pipes are smoked too fast the pipe gets very hot and the lacquer bubbles and part of it flakes off. You can strip the lacquer off and either give it a new coat of lacquer or give it a wax finish. In either case some of the stain will likely be removed along with the lacquer and you will have to apply new stain. Use alcohol based leather stain rather than wood stain.

JAK

I had to deal with that recently on a few pipes. I tried just buffing it out but that didn't work. I would suggest either diluted Murphy's Oil Soap on a cloth or a light sanding with 1000 grit. Just make sure it is lightly done so you don't burn through any color finish. I've done it both ways. It makes the entire pipe dull and then when you buff it the shine comes back in a uniform look. If you don't have a buffer I suggest Decatur No Buff Wax but there is nothing like a buffer.

As far as the stems you will have to sand to get the scratches out. I hate stem work. I use micro mesh pads up to 12,000 grit. A good buffing usually helps especially during the first round of tripoli. You need to be sure the oxidation has been removed first. I start with Oxyclean followed by a Magic Eraser followed by some oxidation remover and then sanding. After all that it goes to the buffer with Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnuba wax.

SaintWilliam

Sales
I had to deal with that recently on a few pipes. I tried just buffing it out but that didn't work. I would suggest either diluted Murphy's Oil Soap on a cloth or a light sanding with 1000 grit. Just make sure it is lightly done so you don't burn through any color finish. I've done it both ways. It makes the entire pipe dull and then when you buff it the shine comes back in a uniform look. If you don't have a buffer I suggest Decatur No Buff Wax but there is nothing like a buffer.

As far as the stems you will have to sand to get the scratches out. I hate stem work. I use micro mesh pads up to 12,000 grit. A good buffing usually helps especially during the first round of tripoli. You need to be sure the oxidation has been removed first. I start with Oxyclean followed by a Magic Eraser followed by some oxidation remover and then sanding. After all that it goes to the buffer with Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnuba wax.
What is the oxidization remover that you use?