Sets, Pairs, Multiples...

weePipe

Are you a collector of smaller collections?
Yeah me too.

I have two true "sets" (made together).
There's a boxed set of blowfish from Michael Parks:

And a pair of "Peewits" (Sixten shape) from Abe Herbaugh:

And through having several pipemakers as "friends" (bastards, the lot of them) I have managed to get pairs that weren't actually intended to go together (or maybe they were), but they do ;-)

Herbaugh Rhodesians:

BST Banhills:

Of course I am also the world's leading collector of BST XMas pipes but I don't want to pile on :whistling:

Whatcha got?
Banhills, Peewits and blowfish
oh my!!
o_O
83D52A7E-8724-48B7-A2F3-B5BE3AA619BE.jpeg

daveinlax

Are you a collector of smaller collections?
Yeah me too.

I have two true "sets" (made together).
There's a boxed set of blowfish from Michael Parks:

Whatcha got?
This is a Great Looking Set. IMO A box really "Sets" a set apart!

I have a lot of what I call accumulated sets but these two are my only sets that came as a set. A Xmas set inspired by pipes in my
Epoca collection generously gifted to me by my buddy Adam of Carmette Pipe and another Castello 40th Anniversary set
IMG_0717.jpg 7307D8C2-FDB2-4DCB-AD4B-2E014D5B2DC5.JPG

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
Man those are both gorgeous.
Thank you sir, I use to collect Mastro De Paja Bulldogs, well......still do but, can't afford to purchase anymore at the time.
The Dublin was being sold at the same time and being they were and are both unsmoked and have the same shank inlays I had to have the both of'em.
MDP's are really all I have of my collection as a whole left, just couldn't part with them.

Yakster

This is a Great Looking Set. IMO A box really "Sets" a set apart!

I have a lot of what I call accumulated sets but these two are my only sets that came as a set. A Xmas set inspired by pipes in my
Epoca collection generously gifted to me by my buddy Adam of Carmette Pipe and another Castello 40th Anniversary set
View attachment 74809
Very nice!

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
My favorite billiard shape - Peterson 606's made on three different islands in three different decades (top to bottom): London & Dublin (England pre-1962), Meerschaum (Isle of Man 1970s), Ireland-1991. A pre-1963 is in the mail, so could be a fourth decade and a fourth factory.

20201006_121305.jpg

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Patron
Thank you sir, I use to collect Mastro De Paja Bulldogs, well......still do but, can't afford to purchase anymore at the time.
The Dublin was being sold at the same time and being they were and are both unsmoked and have the same shank inlays I had to have the both of'em.
MDP's are really all I have of my collection as a whole left, just couldn't part with them.
Don't hear of too many MDP collections. There are a lot of gorgeous Pajas out there, and they represent a really important spot in the history of pipes.

RDPipes

Sales
Don't hear of too many MDP collections. There are a lot of gorgeous Pajas out there, and they represent a really important spot in the history of pipes.
No ya don't and I don't know why and I agree your right about them being important part of the history of pipes. I have early MDP's and nothing really older then maybe the 80's.
I've tried to figure out a way of dating them more precisely but, have yet to find a way except the change in SUN style in the later ones and a complete difference in stamping and Silver stem Dot on very early ones. Of course in the early years before Alberto Montini the pipes suffered and quality was low and showed in craftsmanship. I got a hold of Alberto or one of the gentlemen in his office and they told me if I sent photos they'd help me date them, after sending them the photos and emailing them later to find out if they got them they ended
all communication with me for reasons unknown to me. dont-know.gif

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Patron
No ya don't and I don't know why and I agree your right about them being important part of the history of pipes. I have early MDP's and nothing really older then maybe the 80's.
I've tried to figure out a way of dating them more precisely but, have yet to find a way except the change in SUN style in the later ones and a complete difference in stamping and Silver stem Dot on very early ones. Of course in the early years before Alberto Montini the pipes suffered and quality was low and showed in craftsmanship. I got a hold of Alberto or one of the gentlemen in his office and they told me if I sent photos they'd help me date them, after sending them the photos and emailing them later to find out if they got them they ended
all communication with me for reasons unknown to me. View attachment 74852
Oh, I didn't know they stopped dating that early. I just bought my second from 1980, my birth year. Too bad they didn't follow up with you. There has to be that information out there somewhere.

RDPipes

Sales
Oh, I didn't know they stopped dating that early. I just bought my second from 1980, my birth year. Too bad they didn't follow up with you. There has to be that information out there somewhere.
Let me ask you how do know that the pipe you purchased is from 1980? They started in 1972 and went through a lot of turmoil and finally in 1983 things started running properly with the help of Alberto. I have two Bulldogs stamped differently then any of my others and with the number 1980. Whether this is a date stamp I haven't been able to confirm but, looking at the craftsmanship as to how poor it is it might be. Most of my dating process is from assumption and how the stamps changed over the years. Grading is something else which is fairly simple when you have the grading info to compare. Dating I have yet to really figure out and I believe this is why he want photos of the pipes because there isn't any other way but, to compare production styles. Again, I must assume here.

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Patron
Let me ask you how do know that the pipe you purchased is from 1980? They started in 1972 and went through a lot of turmoil and finally in 1983 things started running properly with the help of Alberto. I have two Bulldogs stamped differently then any of my others and with the number 1980. Whether this is a date stamp I haven't been able to confirm but, looking at the craftsmanship as to how poor it is it might be. Most of my dating process is from assumption and how the stamps changed over the years. Grading is something else which is fairly simple when you have the grading info to compare. Dating I have yet to really figure out and I believe this is why he want photos of the pipes because there isn't any other way but, to compare production styles. Again, I must assume here.
They are stamped with the year. Also, some but not all have smaller silver discs because they were trying to save money around then. This is just before Giancarlo Guidi left to found Ser Jacopo, but he was still there as was Bruto Sordini, and I believe silver work was done by one of the pair that left to found L'Anatra.
Forgive the tarnish. My old one.
16020297969804606387879315679756.jpg
Seller pic of one on the way.
s-l400 (3).jpg

RDPipes

Sales
They are stamped with the year. Also, some but not all have smaller silver discs because they were trying to save money around then. This is just before Giancarlo Guidi left to found Ser Jacopo, but he was still there as was Bruto Sordini, and I believe silver work was done by one of the pair that left to found L'Anatra.
Forgive the tarnish. My old one.
View attachment 74858
Seller pic of one on the way.
View attachment 74859
Yep, same stamp as my two, sadly the craftsmanship was not up to par then as it was in 83 and on.
here are my two, a lot a like but, not and the silver dots are horrible, barely round and the stem work is....well....not that good to say the least.
DSC05427.JPG DSC05432.JPG