Sets, Pairs, Multiples...

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Patron
Yep, same stamp as my two, sadly the craftsmanship was not up to par then as it was in 83 and on.
here are my two, a lot a like but, not and the silver dots are horrible, barely round and the stem work is....well....not that good to say the least.
View attachment 74860 View attachment 74861
I've seen a lot of 1980 pipes pass through eBay (I have an alert). Quality seems to be pretty much all over the map. I've seen a few that were gorgeous, and one I regret not reaching for even though it was out of my range. And some real dogs as well. The one I have is so-so. I got it cheap and it's a fun pipe, but not particularly refined. I'll get it cleaned up along with the new one when it comes and get some pictures.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
Yes sir, I'd like to see that one. The only reason I have those two is just to have some early ones, I've yet to find any earlier, at least to my knowledge.
In fact these are the ONLY ones I have with what looks to be a date stamp, all others and I have ten all together counting a Montini Dublin with silver stem band do not.
Yeah, not many but, it's hard to find MDP Bulldogs or at least ones I don't have already.

I bet I sold you a MDP a few years ago then, I had a bent Billiard that was a filtered pipe that I let go just because it wasn't a Bulldog at the time.

Last edited:

tipofthelake

Reputable source, posts found on the internet
Patron
My favorite billiard shape - Peterson 606's made on three different islands in three different decades (top to bottom): London & Dublin (England pre-1962), Meerschaum (Isle of Man 1970s), Ireland-1991. A pre-1963 is in the mail, so could be a fourth decade and a fourth factory.

View attachment 74819
That red stemmed one is sweet!

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
Cool thread.
Here's 2 Squirrel logo, reed stem, unsmoked National Cob Co Pipe Works circa teens/early twenties.
Followed by 2 #656 Dunhills, 1961 & 1958.

If those were a ‘61 and a ‘56, they’d be my mom and dad’s birth years, respectively.

I just made a bunch of y’all feel old as fiddle sticks, didn’t I?

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
Here are the ebay photos for a set of 1940's 'London & Dublin' Peterson 'Special' pipes. They came in all sorts of shapes, but from what I can tell it was always a two-pipe boxed set. Unfortunately, no box. Different from the normal 'London & Dublin' pipes in that these have 'Special' in an oval stamp. They have not arrived yet, but looking forward to repairing heavy rim damage, a bowl crack, etc. For $50 I can't complain.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.14.11 PM.png

Here's the box I'll be looking for, but for now guess I'd rather have two pipes than a pipe and a box:

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 12.19.36 PM.png

I have 2 seven day sets. My first was from Rad Davis, all the pipes were black and conventional shapes. I had a picture at photobucket but their site is down.
My next 7 day set is from Jack Howell which we did in the last few weeks. I suck at taking pictures but one day I will have one of my kids take pictures of both for me. Here are a couple of the Howells. Jack takes pics as bad as I do.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Here’s one I’d call more of a group of Dunhill ODA’s than a set but one I’ve been efforting for many years. The common denominator is the red stain and AD 18k adornments and that they were from the same collection. :geek:
View attachment 75734
Just curious, were these purchased from a collector in Monterey, Ca?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
No, these were from the Ed Lehman (RIP) collection. He had dozens of them so they are spread far and wide but I know of some some in the Bay Area. :geek:
Ah thanks for the info.
There is a guy in Carmel (J. Williams) with 130+ gold spigot Dunhills. His office is very close to Carmel Pipe Shop and I used to talk with him a lot. He doesn't even smoke a pipe though, they are non-figuratively in a bank vault. His dad started the collection and he has continued to add to it for the past several decades (he's probably 75ish).
I thought maybe you had pried a few loose, which would have caused Doug at Carmel Pipe Shop to swallow his tongue (he's been trying to break a few off for years).