Should the Dunhills That are Now Petersons be Added Back to the Gold Standard Blends List?

DannoH

Vive le tabac.
Patron
This is a great point conceptually. But is it beside the point that hardly anyone thinks these blends really are "gold standard" anymore? Are we just used to thinking they are because of branding and tradition, when actually most would probably say they're pretty mediocre at best?
Standards change, sure, but an appreciation for greatness endures. There are lots of solid blends that didn't make the list. There are also a number of blends on that list that have a considerable history, which if nothing else, shows that thay have endured (despite smoking 'trends'). And beyond that, there are a few on that list that are truly great, exemplars of the style.

It all gets me to thinking things like: will GL Pease blends one day command the same sort of reverence that House of Sobranie does? I doubt it, but it is interesting to speculate.

tfdickson

Patron
It all gets me to thinking things like: will GL Pease blends one day command the same sort of reverence that House of Sobranie does? I doubt it, but it is interesting to speculate.

I also doubt it, mainly because of the raw materials he locked himself in to. It reminds me of something my wife’s grandmother said about another family member’s choice of husband: “she drove her ducks to a poor market.”

DannoH

Vive le tabac.
Patron
I also doubt it, mainly because of the raw materials he locked himself in to. It reminds me of something my wife’s grandmother said about another family member’s choice of husband: “she drove her ducks to a poor market.”
A fair point.

I also wonder if the tobacco obsessed of yesteryear kvetched about the same kinds of things we focus on (quality of leaf, for one).

Chico

Looking at the SmokingPipes.com list of top selling tinned tobacco #2 965, #3 EMP and #4 Nightcap. I don’t think we should ignore this.
McDonald's sells about 50 million burgers a year, but wouldn't make anyone's gold standard list for cuisine.

I mean does PSD want to uphold its hard-earned reputation for tobacco snobbery or not? If we hate OGS, Hamburger Beermonster, and even Escudo, surely there's room to hate Dunhill-Peterson, too 😄

Seriously, though, I don't have a horse in this race, just musing...

Pipey McPiperton

Regardless of their name, they were worthy enough to be on the list in 2018, even if they hadn't been made by the Dunhill family for a long time already then. As far as we know, they are the very same blends today as they were in 2018, regardless of the name. They are made by the same manufacturer according to the same recipe as far as we know. As a result, aren't they worthy enought to be on the list today, again, regardless of the name?

There was a gap of a year or two when Dunhill pipe tobacco left the market before Peterson reintroduced some of them. STG made them for Dunhill before the withdrawal and STG makes the current Petersons.
Agreed. The name could be anything that anyone wants it to be. The tobacco, as it stands, should be on the list regardless of anything else.

Ozzy

I always wondered why there was only one Peterson blend on that list. There are probably 3 or 4 more that could be added like Royal Yacht, Elizabethan Mixture, etc. The fact that they are readily available is a big plus. I have said before that they don't get the attention they deserve.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
The folks that put the original list together have been discussing this for the last several days. Give us some time and it will be revised.

In reading through these posts, I think the first challenge will be to define the term "Gold Standard" as it's being applied to this list.

Using the Big Mac as an example. The majority of us would agree that it is the gold standard in how American fast food should be marketed for long term success.
But the Big Mac would not likely rank among the best of the best (ie the Gold Standard) if one were ranking American fast food for its flavor or freshness or nutritional value. For those categories, the fact that it outsells other fast food AND the fact that it has been a consistent seller for generations means nothing.

Ozzy

Being relatively new here I don't want to assume to much on how the list was made. But from what I have gathered from this thread is that the blends were removed because of the lack of availability during the Dunhill to Peterson transition. It would probably be easy just to add those back to the list as Peterson (Dunhill). From what I gather, and my experience of smoking both the quality is the same.

Montag

My 2 cents: When I picked back up my pipe after 20 years in 2020, I found this forum while looking for blends I used to smoke. I found out here that Dunhill tobacco is now Peterson, Durbar is no more, and McClelland went the way of the dodo. The Gold Standard list was my foothold on find blends similar to ones I knew in the past.

What ever the moderators decide, I have found over the last year that this forum is constantly evolving and improving.

Smoking Blacksmith

Interested to see what the revisions will be Spillproof.

I've really only had experience in the Va and Va/Per category. Looking at the Va/Per list, I see two coin cut blends, two flakes, and only one ready rub. Kinda interesting really! I wonder if we really need another coin cut blend added to the list? Yes, PNR is good, but there are quite a few coin cuts now, opinions vary as to personal preferences, and availability is an issue for Gawith blends now too.

The list was last edited in mid 2018. Should it be revisited? Revised? Changed and reposted for today's thoughts/availability?

I have a few favorites that aren't on the list, and some that are. It's not meant to be all encompassing, just a starting point for someone wanting to break into something new, find a direction, and explore from there.

Final thoughts are that it's a great list still today, 3+ years later, one I would have no problem pointing someone to.

And I'm interested to see what revisions, if any, will be made!

MichaelE

I don't know why they don't keep the Dunhill name. Peterson could get a license from Dunhill to use their name if Dunhill would agree to it.

Top Bottom