Show off your Imp pipes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not to high jack this thread too much but do all IMPs use a briar-style tenon system? Anyone have problems with that type of tenon system?
All of the modern ones do.

As with the old threaded tenons, they glue a insert into the meerschaum shank. In this case, I think it's a tube of Delrin. Then the tenon is also Delrin or similar.

The tenon doesn't mate with the meerschaum at all, only the reinforcing Delrin insert.

Cheeseybacon

All of the modern ones do.

As with the old threaded tenons, they glue a insert into the meerschaum shank. In this case, I think it's a tube of Delrin. Then the tenon is also Delrin or similar.

The tenon doesn't mate with the meerschaum at all, only the reinforcing Delrin insert.
I was definitely thinking "briar style" meant the plastic/delrin tenon interfaced directly with the Meerschaum, which seemed less than ideal. Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated.

It was this particular example that originally had me wondering:

IMG_0871__07210.1547520124.jpeg

I guess there's a insert in that shank somewhere.

Blackop555

Really thinking about an IMP now (especially after my quasi-rant on Altinay), really like how so many of them are equipped with silver bands.

Not to high jack this thread too much but do all IMPs use a briar-style tenon system? Anyone have problems with that type of tenon system?
All imps use the higher quality tenon system just like baki pipes.i have some imp pipes that are over 15 years old and they use the same tenon as the newer ones. Some imp pipes i have smoke as well as any baki have ever smoked. I think the ones with the silver on the stems are a nicer quality stem as i have a few imps without the band and the stem is kind of chunky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was definitely thinking "briar style" meant the plastic/delrin tenon interfaced directly with the Meerschaum, which seemed less than ideal. Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated.

It was this particular example that originally had me wondering:

View attachment 22645

I guess there's a insert in that shank somewhere.
You can see the insert in this photo. It's the same length as the tenon. See where the airway narrows? That's where you hit actual meerschaum.

The silver ring + insert form the structural support for the tenon. The meerschaum should not be under a lot of strain.

Cheeseybacon

Pics or it didn't happen
Here it is, it definitely happened. It is the same pipe that I posted a picture of earlier when inquiring about the tenon.
IMG_20190128_193824~01.jpg

IMG_20190128_194000.jpg

It's a really beefy pipe, the biggest Meerschaum I've ever encountered. The only thing I don't like about it is the stem, which is ugly as hell. It will be getting a new one ASAP.

Last edited:

tipofthelake

Have you ever seen the rain?
Here it is, it definitely happened. It is the same pipe that I posted a picture of earlier when inquiring about the tenon.
View attachment 23208

View attachment 23209

It's a really beefy pipe, the biggest Meerschaum I've ever encountered. The only thing I don't like about it is the stem, which is ugly as hell. It will be getting a new one ASAP.
That stem is gorgeous, but I like a little gaudiness from time to time, along with almost anything green.

Cheeseybacon

Thankfully, the full extent of its green gaudiness is really only visible under bright light. In lower light you could potentially mistake it for a grungy black stem if you weren't studying it closely.

I picked up one of these tonight for sh*ts n' giggles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACRYLIC-MO...ON-for-SMOKING-PIPE-BLACK-CHROME/311629488999

If it fits (hopefully it should, it's a 9mm pipe) I can maybe get a faux spigot look going and take the gaudiness in a different direction. If it doesn't fit, guess I'll send it off to Norwood or somethin' for a tortoiseshell stem.

Blackop555

View attachment 23208

View attachment 23209

Nice looking pipe