What's new

Silver Bands?

Your opinion on "silver" or silver-colored bands?

• Nothing but! Pipes look so much more classy with them.

• Nah, I'll pass thanks, they're kinda gaudy/prefer a lower profile pipe.

• Eh, I can take them or leave them. Doesn't make or break a pipe purchase.

• Depends entirely on the specific shape and finish of the pipe in question.

Results are only viewable after voting.
C

Cap'n Terrible

I think they look great on certain kinds of pipe, Petersons for example and pipes with army mounts, but I get the feeling they can add considerably to the price although silver is a relatively cheap metal. It has been greatly undervalued for years and today's spot price is a only a mere $14.55. per ounce.

SmokeRings

I think they look great on certain kinds of pipe, Petersons for example and pipes with army mounts, but I get the feeling they can add considerably to the price although silver is a relatively cheap metal. It has been greatly undervalued for years and today's spot price is a only a mere $14.55. per ounce.
Silver itself is relatively affordable...a competent silver smith on the other hand...like the one Peterson, and probably Savinelli employ, are craftsmen who like to get a little money for the skills they bring to a company lol

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
Bunch of wussies complaining about silver being to much of a bother to polish. Go to wally's world (Walmart for the un-enlightened) and buy a jeweler's cloth - looks about like the cloths made by Peterson or Savinelli. Just wipe the pipe down with the lighter side after smoking and the silver will shine.

ChristTiger

Resident Feline
Sales

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
I have a fair number of pipes with silver bands (including a couple silver spigots) and some with silver-like bands. I like the way they look on a pipe. I also like horn ferrules. They don't make or break a deal if I like the pipe, but I enjoy the look of them. Too bad a gold spigot pipe is out of my price range. It'd be cool to own one.

Cheeseybacon

That’s a faux-spigot? It sure fooled me.

What does the stem look like broken down?
Faux indeed, there is no metal on metal contact between the shank cap and the stem band (that is the defining feature of a spigot, right? please correct me if I am mistaken) it is all held together at the 9mm tenon.

Here's the seller's crappy picture from the auction:

s-l400.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Faux indeed, there is no metal on metal contact between the shank cap and the stem band (that is the defining feature of a spigot, right? please correct me if I am mistaken) it is all held together at the 9mm tenon.

Here's the seller's crappy picture from the auction:

View attachment 23426
Ah, it's kind of, uh, double-drilled to allow for a more convincing spigot look. Cleverly done.

Usually faux-spigots look pretty bad. This one is a convincing imitation :)