Slow Tri's MacBaren’s Vanilla Roll Cake Review

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Mac Baren’s Vanilla Roll Cake

Should I start this off like so many other reviews on TR? I don’t usually smoke aromatics but……..

Just kidding, I smoke several that would be considered light aromatics or straight up aro blends quite often. I will say that first off this is not your Grandpa’s Vanilla blend. Thanks again to @millarddj for sharing this blend with me!

I think that most of us cut our teeth on crappy vanilla and cherry blends. It’s a wonder sometimes that any of us lasted after those fire burners. This blend is not that. There is A LOT going on in this blend and vanilla is just scratching the surface. Let’s get to it then.

Appearance
This comes as a standard Mac Baren Roll Cake. If you have sampled any of their other Roll Cake blends (and I highly suggest that you do, especially Dark Twist) then you know what to expect here. However, this is the lightest colored roll cake that I remember getting from them. Light brown to a bit darker brown is what you get here.

Packing
I usually folded two coins and stuffed them into my pipe and then rubbed out 1-2 coins and filled that on top. This seemed to work for me but I have wider bowled pipes.

Pre-Light Aroma
If you are reading all the way to here then you already know that this is a Vanilla blend. However, this is not the typical Vanilla blend in my opinion. There is no chemical smell and it doesn’t smell like cheap vanilla. Imagine that you take an actual Vanilla Bean and break it under your nose. This is what that smells like. I find it very satisfying. There are underlying tobacco aromas underneath this but the Vanilla is in the forefront.

Lighting and First Half
I dried my coins out a bit. They felt a bit damp to me upon opening them and I always give my tobacco 15-30 minutes to dry and breath a bit. Because of this the blend was very easy to light and stayed lit with the normal amount of relights.

To me the vanilla really comes in at the beginning and then mellows out after the first 5-10 minutes of smoking this. It doesn’t go away but lets the other flavors come through a bit. The lighter Virginias definitely have a flavor here with some lemon, sugar, and hay and the burleys add a bit of toast and bread on the back end. Like I said earlier, there is a lot going on here.

Last Half and Final Thoughts
The second half of the bowl really brings all of the flavors into syncronicity. All of the flavors are there but they play off of each other in a delightful way. Think of it as a nutty vanilla bread but in the light sense. I really liked it! Now I know that most conventional wisdom says that aro blends do not really improve with aging but I’d be very interested to see what this blend would taste like after a couple of years. The base tobaccos are great and they can only get better with age and the vanilla might incorporate itself into the tobacco more as well. I believe that it would be a great blend with a few years on it?. Who knows……

Last edited:

Cramptholomew

It's, like, Phyllis Diller funny.
Sales
I've smoked about 8 bowls of it so far, and I'd say your review is on point. It's really splendid stuff, and right in my wheel house of gently topped blends. The vanilla is really spectacular, and unlit, it smells like I could eat it. I'm happy that it's toned down when smoked, but it doesn't disappear.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
I've smoked about 8 bowls of it so far, and I'd say your review is on point. It's really splendid stuff, and right in my wheel house of gently topped blends. The vanilla is really spectacular, and unlit, it smells like I could eat it. I'm happy that it's toned down when smoked, but it doesn't disappear.
I'm glad that you feel the same way. It's always a crap shoot when you write reviews. I always think to myself "I hope that others kind of feel the same way and I'm not just crazy". But then again, you and I might be a similar kind of crazy!

Gunsmoke

Quasi Evil
Patron
I'm really liking this blend. I smoked it in my Vanilla cream pipe first. I figured a Vanilla ghost would only add to the flavor. Then I smoked it in a meer last night. Really good. I get a lot of the Dk fired in the retrohale, any one else notice this?
Nice review btw.

Last edited: