What's new

Smell tobacco through tin

Is it ok to be able to smell tobacco through the metal tin, or does that mean the seal is broken?

I just got a tin of Nightcap from ebay that i was hoping to keep in the tin, and immediately smelled it when I took off the bubble wrap.

I gave the lid a twist and it seems ok, but not sure because of the smell.

Oouder

Weird thing for me is one tin never smells but anytime I get more than 50 in a tub there is a smell of that blend when I open it. I’ve always assumed that this is due to one with a bad seal but i’ve yet to run across a bad seal for dunhill style or gawith style tins. I wonder if this could be a job for that parafin film from the storage thread. Id bet if it was still pretty much sealed that would keep it good for some time.

HDXR

Sales
Patron
Weird thing for me is one tin never smells but anytime I get more than 50 in a tub there is a smell of that blend when I open it. I’ve always assumed that this is due to one with a bad seal but i’ve yet to run across a bad seal for dunhill style or gawith style tins. I wonder if this could be a job for that parafin film from the storage thread. Id bet if it was still pretty much sealed that would keep it good for some time.
Interesting.... I've never smelled 50 tins at once.

sablebrush52

Patron
I don't believe that the rectangular and square tins are 100% sealed. There's no way to retain an even pressure around a squared perimeter. I always smell leakage from those tins. You can test this out yourself, assuming that you have a good sniffer attached to your face. Place a bunch of square and rectangular tins of Virginia blends in a small container with a top that locks down and lock the container. Do the same with a bunch of square and rectangular tins of English blends. Wait a couple of weeks and pop the top. You'll smell Virginia coming from the Virginia container, and Latakia and Orientals coming from the English container.

These tins aren't meant for long term storage. By that I mean over 5 to 7 years. If you're going to age tobacco for a longer period than that, either vacuum and heat seal the tins in heavy gauge food grade metalized Mylar bags or jar them. Slow leakage is pretty common. This is a widely known issue. Greg Pease recently responded to a question about this on a Briarblues Youtube video. He no longer leaves tobacco in these metal tins for long term aging because he's found that the seals on many of them have failed over time.

So the tin smells a lot less today than it did yesterday when i unwrapped it from the bubble-wrap and shipping envelope - to the point where it almost doesn't smell. I wonder if it just leaked a little from being exposed to temperature/humidity swings in shipping, like Arkie suggests happens with seasons? I shake the tin, and there's no rattling or anything, so its not dried up in there (at least not yet).

I think I'm going to just let it be for a while. I bought it off of Ebay, and it has a label on it dating it to 11/2011, so its already got 7 years on it. I'll probably crack it open, jar half for later, and smoke the rest.