What's new

Smell tobacco through tin

lordmoto

Shameless Rubber of Flake
Patron
So the tin smells a lot less today than it did yesterday when i unwrapped it from the bubble-wrap and shipping envelope - to the point where it almost doesn't smell. I wonder if it just leaked a little from being exposed to temperature/humidity swings in shipping, like Arkie suggests happens with seasons? I shake the tin, and there's no rattling or anything, so its not dried up in there (at least not yet).

I think I'm going to just let it be for a while. I bought it off of Ebay, and it has a label on it dating it to 11/2011, so its already got 7 years on it. I'll probably crack it open, jar half for later, and smoke the rest.
If that tin flew to get to you then it was subjected to some significant temperature and pressure variations in it's travels ...

I have about 10 tins of Nightcap in a big tub and you can smell Nightcap when you open the tub ... I have verified that all tins are sealed :mystery:

Your tin is probably fine, but absolutely no harm will come from putting it in a jar

JerseyPiper

If that tin flew to get to you then it was subjected to some significant temperature and pressure variations in it's travels ...

I have about 10 tins of Nightcap in a big tub and you can smell Nightcap when you open the tub ... I have verified that all tins are sealed :mystery:

Your tin is probably fine, but absolutely no harm will come from putting it in a jar
I ordered some Eoterica tins last week from P&C, and noticed tobacco smell again when i opened the packaging. All tins were sealed and what i have tried so far had correct moisture.

Im leaning towards the thought that these style tins can breath when exposed to pressure/temp changes.

sablebrush52

Patron
Oh, snap! Never considered that; usually I worry about drying out. For gases, I guess one needs an inorganic seal like glass or metal. Mylar/foil bags frequently get dinged for becoming torn or damaged but I've never had a problem. I have old jars that use ground glass seals (I like because I'm a chemist) but those seals have a nasty habit of sticking. They look way cool and as yet have never had one seize at home. Canning jars have a polymer seal that seems to work for the time spans encountered. GLP once cautioned me against vacuum sealing my jars, air was important. Hm.
Vacuum sealing may retard the aging process.

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html

If you're going to bag the square and/or rectangular tins for long term storage, go for the heavy weight metallized Mylar bags intended for food grade storage. The heavier grades, like the .7mil I use, are laminates of several metallized layers. The aluminum coatings make the Mylar impermeable. Then heat seal the bags after filling them. You should be good for a couple of decades.

sablebrush52

Patron
I ordered some Eoterica tins last week from P&C, and noticed tobacco smell again when i opened the packaging. All tins were sealed and what i have tried so far had correct moisture.

Im leaning towards the thought that these style tins can breath when exposed to pressure/temp changes.
All of these rectangular and square tins are imperfectly sealed and are slowly leaking. They're just not meant for long term storage. As I wrote earlier in this thread, Greg Pease has changed his mind on cellaring in the tin long term. Too many failures and disappointments among the tins he had put away. Now, he recommends jarring for long term aging.

Ronv69

Sales
Patron
I bought a bunch of mylar zip lock bags for my cellared tins and I get no tobacco smell when I open the storage box. All flat tins get bagged.