What's new

Smoke eater/air purifier

I'm about to move into a new home with a finished room over garage which is to be my man cave/smoking lounge. While this room is physically separated from the rest of the house, it is on the same HVAC system. Thought I'd buy one of the smoke eater machines if you guys say they work. Advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Dallas

TANSTAAFL
Patron
I'm about to move into a new home with a finished room over garage which is to be my man cave/smoking lounge. While this room is physically separated from the rest of the house, it is on the same HVAC system. Thought I'd buy one of the smoke eater machines if you guys say they work. Advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
I had an exhaust fan installed in the wall above my recliner in my den. It is a high volume, low noise unit with a remote motor inside the wall. Pretty quiet and it really sucks in a good way. It works very well. My wife says she can't smell anything when I am smoking.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
it is on the same HVAC system.
One simple question:

I'm pretty sure your heater runs through that HVAC system, so you need the inlet into the room intact.
Now usually that HVAC system will suck air back out of the room into the system. If you unplug that
pipe from your room and connect the "inlet" to a adjacent room, you would not suck smoke back into the system.

as a 2nd step, you could use the now unplugged inlet of your man cave, insert a little ventilator and
suck that air to an outlet outside your house.

I don't know your house, but if you have easy access to the pipes of the HVAC system, this could be done
without too much hassle and especially without spending a ton of money.

I hope I'm not overlooking anything major.

Gunsmoke

Patron
I would close your cold air return and your supply into that room while you're smoking. That should keep smoke from being recirculated into your house. Exhaust fans work better than air purifiers for sure. Maybe get a small electric heater for the cold days out there.