What's new

Smokers Pride Rich Taste, Smokers Pride Mellow

The Fly Guy

I notice that some of you seem to like these blends. They are currently on sale at Pipes and Cigars for $10.84 a Pound! At that price, it might be time to either stock up, or for those who haven't, give them a try, . And shipping is currently free at $49.00. I've never tried them, but may just order some.

Ellis You

Rich taste is a decent burley forward va bur. Mellow is a little more Virginia forward va bur. Both are pretty good and 10 bucks a pound is a very good buy. I've smoked most of the Smoker's Pride lineup and while they aren't on the same level as more expensive tinned tobaccos, they are solid everyday smokes, imho. Many old time otc blends (Prince Albert, Half & Half, Velvet, etc.) were dual purpose, pipe and cigarette tobaccos and I suppose Rich Taste and Mellow could be used either way also. I kinda doubt that the other SP blends, Cherry, Black Cavendish, Rum Cured, Whiskey, Vanilla Cavendish would be used for ryo purposes though. Thanks for the heads up on the price, I may have to stock up on a few bags!

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Someone correct me if I am wrong, aren't a lot of the Smoker's Pride blends just carpy RYO cigarette tobaccos masquerading as pipe tobacco to get around cigarette regulations/taxes?
I don't think they are. I could not tolerate the Rich Taste but it's not cigarette tobacco in my book. The aromatic SP blends smoke just like your basic Lane's aros, but a lot wetter. I think it's true blue pipe tobacco, just not something I care to smoke. But my preferences only work for me. Others love the SP blends.

Ray Mackessy

SP Rich Taste is one of those blends I reach for when I can't decide what to smoke. Smokes great in a cob with that first cup of coffee in the morning. I'm curious about the SP Black Cavendish. Is it very similar to Lane Limited BCA? My local B&M carries all the SP blends with the exception of the BC. I tried the Vanilla Cavendish but didn't care for it. Thought maybe the BC would be better since I like Lane's BCA so much.

michiganlover

SP Rich Taste is one of those blends I reach for when I can't decide what to smoke. Smokes great in a cob with that first cup of coffee in the morning. I'm curious about the SP Black Cavendish. Is it very similar to Lane Limited BCA? My local B&M carries all the SP blends with the exception of the BC. I tried the Vanilla Cavendish but didn't care for it. Thought maybe the BC would be better since I like Lane's BCA so much.
Past chat indicates that SP Black Cavendish is very similar too, or identical to BCA. I have not tried SP Black Cavendish myself.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
Someone correct me if I am wrong, aren't a lot of the Smoker's Pride blends just carpy RYO cigarette tobaccos masquerading as pipe tobacco to get around cigarette regulations/taxes?
They are not RYO. Not everything sold in big bags are RYO, so don't let that fool you.

I agree with what @Fr_Tom said in this thread. He turned me on to them. Btw, the SP Rum has a nice flavor, and I don't even drink rum.

Cheeseybacon

Thanks for the clarification everyone. When I saw the Rich taste in the red colored bag, I automatically dismissed it as indicating that it was a RYO equivalent of Marlboro reds or something in keeping with the whole red, blue, green coloring conventions of other RYO stuff.

I suppose at $10 a pound I am obligated to give it a spin now. If the Mellow is the more VA-forward of the bunch, it sounds like that is the one I should try.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
You can't tell me Smoker's Pride "Menthol" is a bona fide pipe tobacco.

Menthol?
You're not being told that. We - or at least myself - have been referring to the original post about the Rich and Mellow blends for the most part. I wouldn't smoke a menthol blend in a pipe unless I was reviewing it, but I've read posts from a couple people who did in the past.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
You're not being told that. We - or at least myself - have been referring to the original post about the Rich and Mellow blends for the most part. I wouldn't smoke a menthol blend in a pipe unless I was reviewing it, but I've read posts from a couple people who did in the past.
I have never tried the menthol, and it does not seem like something I would like. I would try it for the sake of a review, but I don't think I would go out of my way to buy it. Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. make a variety of menthol pipe tobaccos. One is https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10413/gawith-hoggarth-co-kendal-dark-menthol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯