Smoking in the house?

mwsmoker

Smokes 'em straight
I mostly avoided this when the kids were young. Then I avoided it because we have a nice house we might want to sell some day. Then I considered building an ultra-ventilated smoking room.

Now I’m at a point where it’s getting in the way of my enjoyment and relaxation. Let’s play a hypothetical game... say I set aside $10k-15k for wall washing and paint for the someday when we sell. Is there any other big issue with indoor smoking? Is Killz + paint + carpet cleaning enough, or am I looking at a gut & remodel to “repair” my house after, say, a decade of indoor pipe smoking?

Especially interested in those who’ve sold a home after many years of indoor smoking. Today you may as well declare running a meth lab inside for the way realtors and non-smoking buyers view a property.

Thanks!

BubbaBriar

My woman's Grandpa smoked his pipe in the same chair same place basically his whole life in the living room. House sold after he died with a freshly painted ceiling. But if you got your nose up there you could still smell tobacco. But that's a lifetime of smoking Greve Hamilton in exactly the same spot. Paint alone isn't fool proof for removing smell.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I smoked 1-2 pipes per day plus an occasional cigar for 8 years in our last house. Smoking was only on my den, about 10’ x 10’ and I used a window fan. When we moved out and sold the place we had the carpets cleaned and the walls (not ceiling) painted. There was zero oder in the room after we moved and it never came up in the selling process.

What happens when you'd bought a house in the 70's and sold it in the mid-90's? Right, you'd ended up redoing the interior before the sale, because it was out of fashion, and buyers wanted either the latest trends or a supposedly blank slate. Like you said, in today's market this is even worse. So, whatever you'd have to spend to get your house pipe tobacco free for a sale, you'd probably have been spending anyway.

Personally (but I'm weird, or at least certainly not your average market buyer) I'd be more inclined to buy a house that shows traces of the previous owner's hobby, pipe smoking, or whatever else it may be. It tells me that someone had actually been living there, rather than that I'm buying someone's investment, or hastily whitened and up-priced shack. I'd be changing things to my own tastes anyway; whisky in the cabinets, swords on the wall.

tipofthelake

Reputable source, posts found on the internet
Don't forget to factor in cleaning the ductwork if you're smoking throughout the house or anywhere where the smoke can end up in the air return.

Side note, I have been in smoker's houses that REEKED of smoke, and others that it was barely noticeable. I don't know what the difference was other than that solid surfaces are easier to clean (wood floors) along with leather furniture vs cloth upholstery and carpeting.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I have sold two of them and smoked in both. One was painted before it went on the market. The other was not. No one ever mentioned smoke odor. They seemed to sell OK. In the interests of full disclosure, I did not sell these houses in trendy, hip, upscale areas of the country where everyone shops at Whole Foods and worries about GMO products.

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
Patron
I smoke on my back patio for the resale reason. But I'd imagine carpet would be the worse culprit. That and the furniture which most would take with them. I have a nice enough back patio that it doesn't matter to me. Besides I work inside all the time. I enjoy sitting on the back porch smoking a pipe. And usually I'm smoking dinner on my pit.

Merk3030

Patron
My wife and I used to live with my father and we all smoked inside. My wife and I cigs and my father dime store cigars. One year we all agreed to stop smoking in the house and the smoke cleared out relatively quickly. I think the worst is when you are running a/c and heat and the stale smoke gets circulated throughout the house. But in time it all faded. My mother now smokes under the exhaust fan hood when too cold and when I visit I can tell. But with warmer weather coming they will crack the windows and migrate outside and the smell dissipates again.

MURPH

I did all the time until we left for a 3 week vacation. When we returner the house really smelled bad. After that no more smoking in the house. Several years ago a few over us would go to lunch. After lunch we would go back to the office and smoke our cigars. Same thing I went on a 2 week vacation. We I returned and walked in. I told everyone no more smoking in the office.

I'm perfectly fine sitting out in the covered lania enjoying my pipes and few cigars.

Robert Perkins

Teenager at Heart
Sales
About 20 years ago, my brother bought a house that was owned by the proverbial "crazy cat lady".

The carpet on the floors was non-figuratively waxy with cat pee, and the house reeked so badly that your eyes watered when you walked inside for the first time.

Well, we pulled up the carpet, painted the walls, ceiling and flooring underlayment with Kilz, and the house smelled like a brand house when we got done.

@tipofthelake makes a good point about cleaning the ductwork, and that would be a good idea if you are going to smoke "free range" throughout the house.

Alternatively, you might confine yourself to one room, close the ducts in that room, open the window as much as possible, and use an air purifier when you can't open the window.

Just food for thought.

Kayro

I admit being an Old Grouch. I only have one life to live and I intend to enjoy it the best I can. I bought my home for my own selfish enjoyment and intend on doing exactly that. Potential customers for my home can look elsewhere if smoke remnants and pets offend them. And they can keep off my grass on the way out.

cigrmaster

Denying yourself the pleasure of smoking inside for 20 plus years because you think the resale will be less just doesn't make sense to me. You want to live a life that is enjoyable. Smoking outside in freezing or hotter than hell conditions for 20 years just so you make an extra few bucks makes no sense to me.

Clean the carpets, wash the walls and maybe wash the duct work use an ozinator for a month or 2 before you list the house and you will be fine.

Danish

Many houses here are so old that they all oughtta smell of smoke from clay and shag pipes, muzzle loaders, cannons and horse dung. At least they kept most lavatories outside the houses, until the beginning of the last century:rolleyes: When our son moves out, I hope to make our house also smell of modern pipe smoke, in at least one room. The future new young owners of our house will probably vandalize it with modern renovation anyway:old:

Tnfan

Patron
I admit being an Old Grouch. I only have one life to live and I intend to enjoy it the best I can. I bought my home for my own selfish enjoyment and intend on doing exactly that. Potential customers for my home can look elsewhere if smoke remnants and pets offend them. And they can keep off my grass on the way out.
Totally agree. My wife and I worked too darn hard for too many years to get our house. Going to live in it however we want. At 72 years of age I really don’t care about resale value.