Smoking in the house?

Tnfan

Patron
Denying yourself the pleasure of smoking inside for 20 plus years because you think the resale will be less just doesn't make sense to me. You want to live a life that is enjoyable. Smoking outside in freezing or hotter than hell conditions for 20 years just so you make an extra few bucks makes no sense to me.

Clean the carpets, wash the walls and maybe wash the duct work use an ozinator for a month or 2 before you list the house and you will be fine.
Harris you are right on point!

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
I have sold two of them and smoked in both. One was painted before it went on the market. The other was not. No one ever mentioned smoke odor. They seemed to sell OK. In the interests of full disclosure, I did not sell these houses in trendy, hip, upscale areas of the country where everyone shops at Whole Foods and worries about GMO products.
Well there ya go :bigyellowgrin:

MichaelE

My Great Uncle smoked a pipe all of his life.

He built his own house in 1945 and died in 1996.

When we went to clean out his house everything was coated in tar from pipe and cigar smoke. He had a blond Wurlitzer spinet piano that his wife and my mother each bought. His was nearly brown. It took me three days and two bottles of 409 to clean the exterior of that piano. The ceiling in his finished basement was white wood paneling. Where he sat was a medium brown color and spread out to a lighter brown and eventually a dingy white as you moved across the room.

I would imagine most of his exposed possessions were of the same shade of brown, but nothing else was touched. The walls were painted over and I don't know if the paint held up or not. I lived in the house for a few years renting it from his son, and the smell of tobacco was still evident though not as strong as it was while he was alive. It was not an offensive odor though, it was really quite pleasant to me and reminded me of him every time I came home.

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
I just ended up making my garage cozy. Chairs, table, floor lamp, music, carpeted one section, heater for the wife. She doesn't smoke, so while I do have the odd after work bowl in the 'indoor man-cave' with the cat I keep 98% in the garage man-cave and the wife often joins me to sit and socialize.

When people ask me " do I smoke in my house?" My usual response is
" Where else would I smoke it's my house."
When I moved into my present rented home around (I think) 7-8 years ago, I asked my landlord about my being able to smoke in the house or not.
His reply was that while ever I was paying rent I was to treat the house as my home and therefore smoke in it to my hearts content! 😊
So I've done exactly that.
I detest smoking outdoors anyway!

JAK

I don't smoke inside because of the kids and because of the resale. We bought our current home as an investment so I think I can survive but eventually I would like to have my recliner and my spot to smoke in the house.

Another question I wonder about is whether pipe smoke would take longer to have those effects in the home compared to cigarettes or cigars? I personally think it would take much more pipe smoking over more time to get there.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I have sold two of them and smoked in both. One was painted before it went on the market. The other was not. No one ever mentioned smoke odor. They seemed to sell OK. In the interests of full disclosure, I did not sell these houses in trendy, hip, upscale areas of the country where everyone shops at Whole Foods and worries about GMO products.
As an additional data point, we are currently selling the house where we have been for the last 11 years. No one has said a word about smoke odor or any impact on resale.

Condor

I never smoked in my home of 10 years which sold with a closing soon . Will not in my new home. In fact I am on my deck having a pipe as I type this . I would also use the garage in bad weather with door open but sheltered from wind, rain and snow . Born and raised in New England so not a big deal to me . Being semi outdoors is good for airing your cloths as well .

Hunter Hughes

You only live once, and any of us can go at any time. I'm going to make the most out of my life and milk it for all the enjoyment I can get, and that means smoking inside. I have my study that I vent with a window fan, and I smoke pipes and cigars in there all I want. Smoking is one of the greatest pleasures in my life, a feeling of peace and therapy that I don't want to put a price tag on. If I have to spend some money and clean it, paint it, and clean the air ducts one day when we go to sale, so be it. It will be worth it to me.

Drydock

When my grandparents downsized & moved into assisted living, the family joined forces to help pack and move. We were mostly concerned with the ancient Siamese cat that had free-range peed around the formal living room for years.

What we hadn't expected was how yellow the 'white' walls were, and this became noticeable as we took art off the walls. Everywhere a picture had hung or a cabinet had stood in the den was a white 'ghost!' My grandparents chain-smoked cigarettes for decades in that house and the massive amounts of cigarette smoke had discolored the den. We wiped down the walls, ran a kilz-based primer over them first & did a final fresh coat of paint. Did the trick.

But I'd be shocked if anyone (except maybe @JimInks :p) is putting out the same amount of smoke two dedicated chain-smokers did for 40+ years.