Smoking in the house?

N80

I can pretty much tell if someone has smoked in a house or hotel room. And it stinks and I don't like it. Would not buy a house that was smoked in without serious renovation. Paint and such just cover the smell for a while, not eliminate it, in my opinion.

But that's just me.

I do not and will not smoke in my home except in the basement and even then just rarely. It is my family home, built by my grandfather in 1929. I'm not going to sell it. I just don't want it to smell like stale smoke. I don't want my guests to have to smell stale smoke.

But I also have a log cabin down in the country. From the day we built it we planned on it being dog friendly and muddy boot friendly. It is also pipe smoke friendly. Its just that kind of place. Even there I don't smoke much indoors.

I have a friend who is very well off. He has a dedicated smoking room in a very nice older (1900s) home. His smoking room has leather chairs, gun cabinets, cypress paneling, bar and a full ventilation system designed for tobacco smoke. It is quiet and clears smoke very quickly. It still smells like a smoking room but there are two things that I notice. First, it doesn't smell like a stale ashtray. You mostly just get a pleasant tobacco smell. Second, you don't notice it at all in the rest of the house. So that is probably a working solution............for folks with a lot of dough.

Coach

I do not smoke in my house. I just don't. I really don't have a reason, other than I do not like the smell of a room where one smokes. My wife does not care for the smell either. I have a garage and a climate controlled shop where I do my smoking. I am happy with that, and I prefer to smoke in those two places anyway.

I also have rental properties.........several of them. I do not allow my tenants to smoke in them because I do not want to clean the smoke smell up afterwards, or perhaps have them catch fire to the house. I do not allow pets either, indoor or outdoor.

When I began these rules (about 6 years ago) my clean up efforts between tenants were much easier. No smoke smell (or stains) to deal with, no pet hair and piss stains on the carpets, and no holes to fill in in the yard. All of that means more money in my pocket.

skywalker

Smooth Criminal
Without heavy duty ventilation and exhaust leading directly outside, in an enclosed and sealed-off room, with the right paint, your room is going to end up smelling like smoke over time. You might not smell it, because as a smoker you've become "nose blind" to it. But others will. I don't smoke in the house, but I dream of building an outside Man Shed with the proper setup someday.

Whatever you do, make sure the ventilation in your smoking room is NOT connected to the ventilation throughout the rest of your home.

Also, use hardwood flooring and leather furniture. Carpeting and fabric will retain smoke smells indefinitely. Can't Febreeze that stuff out. Drywall, unprotected by the proper paint, will also soak up smoke and tar like meerschaum.

craig

Thankfully my wife is understanding.
When it's too cold, bad weather, too windy (which is more often than not in the UK) I smoke in the conservatory with the door open.
When it's decent I smoke on the bench in the garden or in the catio.... (basically an aviary we had built for our brood of cats).

Given I don't smoke more than 3 or 4 bowls a day it generally isn't a problem, the only tobacco that she has really turned her nose up at is anything cherry and rich dark honeydew.

Given I now don't smoke anything cherry and rich dark honeydew is an occasional thing I'm pretty set.

Who all here is familiar with the MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value) system of filter ratings?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_efficiency_reporting_value

https://www.airfilters.com/merv-15-whole-house-filters

I don't smoke inside (well except for that one time I enjoyed a cob while taking a bath in Epsom salt) but think it would be an interesting experiment for those of you who smoke indoors, to replace your HVAC filters with a MERV 13 or better and see how it handles the smoke.