Smoking inside.

Hello everyone, happy new year. Hopefully haha. So I have a question about smoking inside. I loved relaxing outside and enjoying my pipe during the summer months here in Southern alberta. Now winter is here not enjoying so much and find myself going back to cigarettes. I have a room set up for my online learning portion of college and I decided to put my pipes and tobacco in my desk and it got me thinking. If I smoke inside at night sometimes during studying with a window open will the pipe tobacco smell go away? Not doing it everyday though.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I smoke nightly in my den and use a window fan. The smoke smell goes away almost instantly. I find the bigger cause of odors are ash/dottle, tobacco stored in plastic bags vs tins or jars, loose tobacco on the floor or my desk from loading, etc. One caveat is that my smoking chair is next to the window so the smoke doesn’t get a chance to linger before it is whisked out:

CBBF2292-34BD-46D9-ADD3-5E2B128D0FE7.jpeg

SmokeRings

Patron
No that's not why, just don't want to bother my partner too much or have a smoke smelling house haha.
Honestly that's a thing I'd have out with them plain, if he/she is not comfortable with the decision your setting yourself up for a conflict that can turn nasty, personally I have never noticed any lingering smell as long as you are diligent about cleaning up ash trays, washing walls etc, but I highly advise being up front and honest with whomever is in the home, an occasional pipe in the comfort of your study is hardly worth a potentially lingering domestic dispute.

Honestly that's a thing I'd have out with them plain, if he/she is not comfortable with the decision your setting yourself up for a conflict that can turn nasty, personally I have never noticed any lingering smell as long as you are diligent about cleaning up ash trays, washing walls etc, but I highly advise being up front and honest with whomever is in the home, an occasional pipe in the comfort of your study is hardly worth a potentially lingering domestic dispute.
No of course she knows, just depending on how long the smell stuck around if I did it once in a while.

JustScott

In my last apartment, I smoked A LOT. I would either smoke in the kitchen next to the exhaust hood with a fan blowing toward the kitchen to keep any smoke contained, or next to the window with a fan blowing out the window and also a fan across the room blowing gently toward me. Not enough to make a noticeable breeze, but enough to keep the smoke from wandering too much. Several years of this, probably 1000 or so bowls (including things like SG Commonwealth and C&D Byzantium, both very high lat), and ZERO smell.
When we moved out, we figured we might take a hit there, because the landlords we had were known to charge for anything they could justify and a person who had just moved out had lost $800 from their deposit for "smoke smell." The only advantage we had was that the cleaning crew didn't know I smoked. They didn't charge me anything, because there was no lingering smell. They knew we had cats, so they charged for damage and smell that I absolutely know didn't exist. But they knew we had cats and that we didn't have the money to fight them over it in Small Claims Court, so they made up some damage in order to keep as much of the deposit as possible. They were like that. Any sign of smoking in the apartment would have let them keep the whole thing.

TL;DR?
If you're careful, there won't be a lingering smell. Work out your airflow and you'll be fine.

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
I am a mostly outdoors pipe smoker, but occasionally I’ll be allowed a pipe inside by the boss lady, especially when it’s cold...on those odd occasions smoking inside I find that by the next morning the smell is virtually gone, and by that evening it’s disappeared fully, in a room that doesn’t have any kind of extraction setup.

I have however spent a lot of time setting up outdoor heating and making my outdoor smoking area warm and inviting even in the cold winter months here in Romania and I am so glad I did as I can sit out for 2-3 hours even on a colder night and stay nice and warm.

I actually prefer my outdoor smoking now as it gives me a little alone time to think & reflect. With the busyness of life here I only get to smoke 1 bowl a day though, so depending on how many bowls you smoke that might affect whether smoking inside is a better choice.

I have seen posts here and elsewhere talking about the Rabbit Air MinusA2 which I believe is also used by cigar clubs etc and seems highly rated for extracting the smoke when smoking inside.

For the outdoor heating I have a bigger patio gas heater for mainly heat output, and a real flame heater that puts out a little heat but is more for the ambiance and cosiness, and if it gets super cold (-10, -15C) then I have a Mr Heater Buddy for backup. It may be overkill but I can sit out in those temps for 2 hours and be toasty and warm.

Alex

Patron
I usually smoke in the garage which is set up with patio furniture and the only vehicles that live there are motorcycles. No AC vents obviously and the door into the house is an exterior door like a front door. Yet every time I come in the house after a smoke I find the wonderful smell of pipe tobacco has made made It across the house. It doesn’t linger long but it’s there. No complaints from my wife yet. 😁

I am a mostly outdoors pipe smoker, but occasionally I’ll be allowed a pipe inside by the boss lady, especially when it’s cold...on those odd occasions smoking inside I find that by the next morning the smell is virtually gone, and by that evening it’s disappeared fully, in a room that doesn’t have any kind of extraction setup.

I have however spent a lot of time setting up outdoor heating and making my outdoor smoking area warm and inviting even in the cold winter months here in Romania and I am so glad I did as I can sit out for 2-3 hours even on a colder night and stay nice and warm.

I actually prefer my outdoor smoking now as it gives me a little alone time to think & reflect. With the busyness of life here I only get to smoke 1 bowl a day though, so depending on how many bowls you smoke that might affect whether smoking inside is a better choice.

I have seen posts here and elsewhere talking about the Rabbit Air MinusA2 which I believe is also used by cigar clubs etc and seems highly rated for extracting the smoke when smoking inside.

For the outdoor heating I have a bigger patio gas heater for mainly heat output, and a real flame heater that puts out a little heat but is more for the ambiance and cosiness, and if it gets super cold (-10, -15C) then I have a Mr Heater Buddy for backup. It may be overkill but I can sit out in those temps for 2 hours and be toasty and warm.
The cold im talking about is like -20 to -30 some nights, i wonder if those heaters would help my situation. I have a balcony but it is open to the elements

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
The cold im talking about is like -20 to -30 some nights, i wonder if those heaters would help my situation. I have a balcony but it is open to the elements
Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius @Matthewlucas? Either way that’s cold! It gets down to -20 Celsius here sometimes and I have found then that I need all 3 heaters and to wear a good sweater but it’s still warm enough for me...I don’t think I could do it at -30 though, and I’m not entirely sure the heaters would work well at those temps...this is open air with a gazebo roof...probably similar to a balcony I would think...

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I smoke nightly in my den and use a window fan. The smoke smell goes away almost instantly. I find the bigger cause of odors are ash/dottle, tobacco stored in plastic bags vs tins or jars, loose tobacco on the floor or my desk from loading, etc. One caveat is that my smoking chair is next to the window so the smoke doesn’t get a chance to linger before it is whisked out:

View attachment 84321
That's a nice setup. What model of fan is that?

Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius @Matthewlucas? Either way that’s cold! It gets down to -20 Celsius here sometimes and I have found then that I need all 3 heaters and to wear a good sweater but it’s still warm enough for me...I don’t think I could do it at -30 though, and I’m not entirely sure the heaters would work well at those temps...this is open air with a gazebo roof...probably similar to a balcony I would think...
I'm in canada so I'm talking Celsius haha. So what I'm getting from all of these responses, is if I take care to make sure the smoke goes outside using a fan and some smoker eater candles i should be alright. Id only be smoking once a month if even that during my studying. Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always preferred to smoke indoors if it is even faintly cool outside.
  • The easiest solution is just to crack windows on opposing sides of the same room. The natural airflow will take care of things post-haste.

• The next best option cheapo is to set up an "exhaust" fan in one window, and turn on ceiling fans in the other rooms of the house to keep air circulating.

• A friend of mine swears by the home version of the Smoke-Eeeter, the "Austin Healthmate." I've seen it in action, and the results are very impressive, but I'm a cheap bastard.