Smoking inside.

Ray Mackessy

I smoke inside all year long. At age 73 these old bones can't take the cold. Here in SC the heat & humidity of summer is sometimes unbearable. I do, however, use an air filter when I smoke inside and that helps with keeping the odor down. I'm of the mindset that if you don't like how my house smells, then just keep your :booty:out.

Pedro

I'm in canada so I'm talking Celsius haha. So what I'm getting from all of these responses, is if I take care to make sure the smoke goes outside using a fan and some smoker eater candles i should be alright. Id only be smoking once a month if even that during my studying. Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone!
The truth is that if you smoked once a month I wouldn't worry too much ...

For my part, I only smoke outside (I have a baby and a girl in the house). At first the wind bothered me but I got used to it and I prefer to smoke outside ... It relaxes me going out to the garden (and so no one asks me for something) and I avoid breathing the "smoke secondhand" ...I think smoking outside is a little "healthier".

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
I agree with @Pedro, if you’ll be smoking once a month or so I don’t think you would need to worry too much about the smell lingering...I do smoke in my car, probably twice a week, and I never notice the smell the day after, and neither does anyone else who I have asked if they could smell it, and that was with all the windows up smoking for a couple hours while driving around...

Arkie

Pardon me for explaining the obvious but sometimes people don't give the matter a lot of thought. Sit as close as you can to an exhaust fan so it can pull the smoke out of the room before it dissipates into the room. Otherwise, the fan has to pull all the air of the room to rid the smell. That's why kitchens have exhaust hoods.

Last edited:

Condor

I agree with @Pedro, if you’ll be smoking once a month or so I don’t think you would need to worry too much about the smell lingering...I do smoke in my car, probably twice a week, and I never notice the smell the day after, and neither does anyone else who I have asked if they could smell it, and that was with all the windows up smoking for a couple hours while driving around...
Car smoking with either the heat on or the air conditioner gets into the fan system and stays . I smoke in my car with the window open even an inch or two and shut down the air system . I only smoke once or twice a week .

Okay, first, what are you smoking? Aromatics? English?

Second, are you smoking for the fix, or the ritual? If you are after nicotine, have you considered snuff?
I like my nicotine, but the pipe smoking is for taste and relaxing. Never considered snuff. I have tried it a long time ago and it burnt my nose pretty good. Probably took to much. Not sure where I could find snuff in canada

I highly recommend Austin Air's Healthmate filter for smoking indoors.

It's an expensive initial investment, nearly $600, but the filter is guaranteed for 5 years. When you look at filter replacement costs over a 5 year period, it's actually cheaper than a lot of the other air filters out there. It also vastly more effective, the damn thing contains 14 pounds of activated carbon. Activated carbon filtration is doing much of the heavy lifting when it comes to filtering out the odor from smoking, more so than the particulate filters. The healthmate is by far the most effective filter I've had experience with indoors. Bonus is that it's on wheels, I easily move it between my living room and den depending upon where I'm smoking.

My other half can't detect the odor of having smoked in the house day next morning. It's not magical, the smell of smoke while in the act and immediately after exists, though not overwhelmingly so. She still isn't a fan of me smoking english mixtures or latakia bombs in the house. Though I can get away with smoking them in my office with the door closed and the filter on high.

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
Car smoking with either the heat on or the air conditioner gets into the fan system and stays . I smoke in my car with the window open even an inch or two and shut down the air system . I only smoke once or twice a week .
I never thought about this aspect with it going through the fan system...will be bearing that in mind from now on thanks @Condor!