Smoking pressed tobacco - flakes plugs twists and kakes

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
In memory of Mr. Moo

I know lots of pipe smokers are intrigued by pressed tobacco. Yet somehow, there’s been a mystery built around pressed forms of tobacco. People are being told that it’s hard to smoke flakes. That it’s even harder to smoke plugs and kakes.
I don’t believe that’s the case.

Preparing your pipe might take a little longer with this kind of tobacco. But it’s not hard at all if you follow some simple rules.

So before we get started, I would like to introduce you to some pressed tobacco.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
First: crumble kakes.

In my opinion, they‘re a little different from the rest because you usually crumble them to pieces. Obviously that gives you a ribbon cut, so we‘re back to what most people are used to.

Crumble kakes are usually pretty moist, so even crumbled they need a little drying time.

The drying of tobacco will be a recurring theme in this thread. More words on that later image.jpg

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
On a side note: I would like to encourage everyone to check out the motzek aged series. Tom Darasz is trying to dig up old sailors recipes and use them for these tobaccos. If a lot of what intrigues you about the pressed tobacco lies in its history as sailors tobacco, this is something you‘ll have to try.
Also: I‘ve tried the sea and salt as well as the puhwapwap. Both are great quality tobaccos.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Mostly smoke flake tobacco but, have never did the fold and load technique, have always just rubbed everything out.
Now that I can SEE how it's done added with your direction I will certainly try it. Thanks so much for this sir. View attachment 66107
I will show more about how I prepare flakes. Knowing your tobacco has something to do with that.
Rolling it on your fingers will break it apart just a little. Just enough to make it burn better.