Smoking pressed tobacco - flakes plugs twists and kakes

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Those are great points that I had not thought of. I will change my tactics.

Awesome on that second point. I remember my first flake, and it was frustrating (Erinmore - 1980's). Not having great resources such as yourself to 'draw' from <=== heh, heh - I just rubbed it out. :eek:.

...time to apply the Sir Saartan method to a flake.
Easy my friend. You don’t want all this praise to mess with my ego.

Seriously I appreciate it. I hope to spread the enthusiasm for pressed tobacco among you guys... seems like I am actually successful.

Pedro

Some gentle taps later

View attachment 66445
We‘re ready to fire up View attachment 66446
First of all thanks for the detailed post !!

With that amount of tobacco, won't it go out all the time? Clearly I am putting a lot ... but when I do it with little as the photo goes off all the time ..

Taking advantage of the thread ... what difference do you notice in smoking the full flakes vs crumbled?
Thanks!

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
First of all thanks for the detailed post !!

With that amount of tobacco, won't it go out all the time? Clearly I am putting a lot ... but when I do it with little as the photo goes off all the time ..

Taking advantage of the thread ... what difference do you notice in smoking the full flakes vs crumbled?
Thanks!
I take about 2/3 of a bowl full... once I light it, it expands to almost full.

I don’t actually crumple the flakes, I roll them over my finger tips once or twice with very light touch. They start to become just a little lose. This allows the air to circulate much better, keeping it lit much easier.

I smoked that pipe in the picture with 2 relights...

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Clearly I am putting a lot
Don't you get a restricted pipe?

I need to take pictures of burning flakes on a plate to show you what happens
when you put too much in...

what difference do you notice in smoking the full flakes vs crumbled?
When you're smoking solid flakes without fluffin them up a little, they're hard to set
on fire. Once they catch the flame, they're ok, but you also get some problems at the very
end.

The way I do it is: I roll the flake very gently over my finger tips. In the pictures I posted,
it looks almost rubbed out. That's not really the case. If you're gentle, the outside of the
wad I feed into the pipe gets a little fluffy, while the flakes in the middle stay mostly
intact. That way, you have an outside that will take the flame easier, while the inside
burns exactly like when you don't roll it first.

With the slightly fluffed up outsides, the sides that ususally don't take the flame as well
as the inside part burn easier, eliminating the problem you may have that the tobacco
around the outside will not burn as evenly as the rest, with the ember funnelling through
the middle.

Again: Taking the picture is a little tricky because you move around a little, and Reiner
golden long is a flake that tends to fall into thinner strings anyway if you don't handle it
very gently. So the picture does look much more rubbed out than it actually was, AND
it is slightly looser than I usually smoke it.
I still kept the pics because it's a good start for someone new to flakes. If you loosen it
up a little too much, you won't get a problem. And I believe most people new to flakes
will not dry their tobacco enough, so a little too loose is better than a little too tight.

The same with tobacco: I'd rather post a picture where the new flake smoker will end up with
a little more tobacco than I did and still be good to go, rather than posting a pic where it's
just enough tobacco in my pic to not get a restricted draw, and have people ending up
with one if they sprinkle a little bit more tobacco in.

But like I said: Having too little tobacco in the chamber will result in a shorter smoke, but that's about it.
I've never had problems with tobacco not burning right because I put too little in, except in my
mac arthur cob... that thing has a very narrow bowl, so you can't fit much in there to begin with.
And if you roll it over your finger tips, it won't do too much because you need about 2.5 inches of flake
to have it filled to the top... Now feed too little slightly too wet and not fluffed up solid
flake in there, and you've got yourself a problem. after smoking half the pipe, relights are
a little bit of a problem because you now have an inch of a narrow chamber to cross before
the flame touches the top of the tobacco, with a pretty decent layer of ash on top.

image.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but the dark area on the right is actually filled with tobacco.
image.jpg
there's a good 3/4 inch of the tobacco sticking out in this pic. I did fold that before rolling in the pic after that,
So I ended up with a loosely filled full bowl.

I need to learn to take better pictures so I don't confuse you guys.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
hat difference do you notice in smoking the full flakes vs crumbled
I think I haven't really answered your question fully yet.

So like I said earlier: I don't really crumble flakes, I just loosen up the outside.
You need to be really careful to not press on the folded flake at all, just lay
your tumb on top and gently roll it.

The differnce smoking full flakes to my fluffed up:
depending on the flake: if hou have something that's already pretty lose
(DTM St. Bernard or Reiner Golden Long), there's not much
difference at all.

If you've got something as solid as this
image.jpg
(Peterson PPP cut in flakes)
it does make quite a difference.

Something as hard as this will have problems taking the flame in the first 10 minutes,
so you get what I said earlier: around the walls of the pipe, the tobacco won't burn like the rest,
so you get the middle of the pipe burning down much faster than the sides. If you sip
really slowly AND dry the tobacco properly, you don't have a problem.

Obviously: the less the tobacco is fluffed up, the slower it burns.
So if you do it right, almost all of your flake will remain solid, except a little of the outside.
If so, there is no difference in taste from smoking solid flakes, because most of your tobacco
is solid flakes.
If you roll it more than 2 times or you push on the tobacco, you'll end up with a broken flake,
which burns a little faster. Therefore, the tobacco will usually be a little less sweet (to me)
and the flavor isn't quite as strong.

One thing to new flake guys: if you dry a solid flake properly, it still takes a little to set
flame to it. Once you've got an ember, it's almost impossible to put out. the ember will
slowly eat through the flake by itself. So often times you can actually set the pipe down and
continue smoking after 10 minutes without a relight.

I am going to show that later in a couple pics with the flakes chubby sister:
image.jpg
Cube cut something really hard and try to get an ember going: you're sometimes going to be surprised
how hard it is to do.
I don't really draw hard on the pipe when lighting, because I don't want a huge cherry going in my pipe.
That may lead to it taking even longer. That being said, it took me almost 10 seconds to get these
suckers to catch the flame yesterday. Once they do, each cube will burn entirely without much chance of
stopping it. So maybe a cube won't pass the ember on to the next one, which then can lead to the pipe
going out. but once a cube is lit, you won't be able to put it out unless you push hard enough on the
tobacco to restrict the draw so much you won't be able to smoke it anymore.

That's an importan thing to know, because really solid cubes (we're not talking DTM tumblin' dice which is kind of
falling apart) will take forever to burn. If you load up a big old group 6 size pot with solid cubes, you're in for
a 2-3 hour smoke. and there's not a chance of putting it out. If you need to set down the pipe, set it somewhere
where you know it won't set your house on fire while you're gone.
The pipe will most likely smoke itself to ash, maybe 2 cubes left on the bottom.

I sometimes like to goof around, so I smoke some Peterson 3P or DTM salty dogs cubed for 15 minutes.
then I set down the pipe, contine my conversation with my pipe buddies. Then 15 minutes later I pick up the
pipe and contine smoking it without a relight. In the meantime, my noob buddies have had to relight their pipes
3-4 times already.

I'm not doing that to show off here. Like I said before: if you have to relight, it usually means you're not overpuffing
and won't torch your tongue. That's a good thing. The reason I am goofing around like that is to make my buddies
aware they could improve something in their smoking without telling them "hey you're doing this wrong, you
are supposed to do this". So when they see I can set the pipe down for 15 minutes and don't need a relight, there's
something they might want to ask me. If they do, I can now answer that question without feeling like I'm beeing
bossy.

Pedro

I think I haven't really answered your question fully yet.

So like I said earlier: I don't really crumble flakes, I just loosen up the outside.
You need to be really careful to not press on the folded flake at all, just lay
your tumb on top and gently roll it.

The differnce smoking full flakes to my fluffed up:
depending on the flake: if hou have something that's already pretty lose
(DTM St. Bernard or Reiner Golden Long), there's not much
difference at all.

If you've got something as solid as this
View attachment 66505
(Peterson PPP cut in flakes)
it does make quite a difference.

Something as hard as this will have problems taking the flame in the first 10 minutes,
so you get what I said earlier: around the walls of the pipe, the tobacco won't burn like the rest,
so you get the middle of the pipe burning down much faster than the sides. If you sip
really slowly AND dry the tobacco properly, you don't have a problem.

Obviously: the less the tobacco is fluffed up, the slower it burns.
So if you do it right, almost all of your flake will remain solid, except a little of the outside.
If so, there is no difference in taste from smoking solid flakes, because most of your tobacco
is solid flakes.
If you roll it more than 2 times or you push on the tobacco, you'll end up with a broken flake,
which burns a little faster. Therefore, the tobacco will usually be a little less sweet (to me)
and the flavor isn't quite as strong.

One thing to new flake guys: if you dry a solid flake properly, it still takes a little to set
flame to it. Once you've got an ember, it's almost impossible to put out. the ember will
slowly eat through the flake by itself. So often times you can actually set the pipe down and
continue smoking after 10 minutes without a relight.

I am going to show that later in a couple pics with the flakes chubby sister:
View attachment 66506
Cube cut something really hard and try to get an ember going: you're sometimes going to be surprised
how hard it is to do.
I don't really draw hard on the pipe when lighting, because I don't want a huge cherry going in my pipe.
That may lead to it taking even longer. That being said, it took me almost 10 seconds to get these
suckers to catch the flame yesterday. Once they do, each cube will burn entirely without much chance of
stopping it. So maybe a cube won't pass the ember on to the next one, which then can lead to the pipe
going out. but once a cube is lit, you won't be able to put it out unless you push hard enough on the
tobacco to restrict the draw so much you won't be able to smoke it anymore.

That's an importan thing to know, because really solid cubes (we're not talking DTM tumblin' dice which is kind of
falling apart) will take forever to burn. If you load up a big old group 6 size pot with solid cubes, you're in for
a 2-3 hour smoke. and there's not a chance of putting it out. If you need to set down the pipe, set it somewhere
where you know it won't set your house on fire while you're gone.
The pipe will most likely smoke itself to ash, maybe 2 cubes left on the bottom.

I sometimes like to goof around, so I smoke some Peterson 3P or DTM salty dogs cubed for 15 minutes.
then I set down the pipe, contine my conversation with my pipe buddies. Then 15 minutes later I pick up the
pipe and contine smoking it without a relight. In the meantime, my noob buddies have had to relight their pipes
3-4 times already.

I'm not doing that to show off here. Like I said before: if you have to relight, it usually means you're not overpuffing
and won't torch your tongue. That's a good thing. The reason I am goofing around like that is to make my buddies
aware they could improve something in their smoking without telling them "hey you're doing this wrong, you
are supposed to do this". So when they see I can set the pipe down for 15 minutes and don't need a relight, there's
something they might want to ask me. If they do, I can now answer that question without feeling like I'm beeing
bossy.
Thanks for your answer! I have indeed had problems loading too much and the draw has been restricted as you say.

Now that you mention the photo, I realize that because of the shade I had not seen well how much tobacco it contained! 🤣
I'm going to let dry a flake to try more time!

soutso

I would like to just thank you for the time and effort you've put into this thread.
Mr Moo's advice on flake tobacco was the best advice I had ever received on flakes, had I not come across it I would have steered clear of flakes and I pretty much only smoke them these days. I only wish your thread was around 2-3 years ago!

Still it's nice to see that I am doing many things in the same way you are, so that confirmation is comforting.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I would like to just thank you for the time and effort you've put into this thread.
Mr Moo's advice on flake tobacco was the best advice I had ever received on flakes, had I not come across it I would have steered clear of flakes and I pretty much only smoke them these days. I only wish your thread was around 2-3 years ago!

Still it's nice to see that I am doing many things in the same way you are, so that confirmation is comforting.
Thank you. I loved flakes ever since I first picked up a pipe. If it wasn’t for Mr. Moo I might have had a hard time getting started.

I honestly think that smoking flakes made it much easier to learn basic pipe smoking. Obviously it took me a couple of pipes full to be able to keep my pipe lit. The hardest part was to accept that what I thought was dry enough really wasn’t.

You can always smoke a crispy dry flake if you go slow enough. Wet flakes are a mess. And you get a lot more flavor out of most tobacco if it’s a little on the dry side.