Smoking pressed tobacco - flakes plugs twists and kakes

Mrm1775

Still too soon to tell. I enjoyed the smoke, lots of relights, got some nice sweet flavors, but it was a bit mild. I need to smoke a few more flakes and more of the SG FVF before I really make up my mind.
I can see where a cigar smoker would think it a bit mild.
Maybe a tad more drying, when everything is right it is very flavorful.
Not nearly as complex or strong as a cigar, but a great straight virginia that with patience is very rewarding.
What I sent has 1 year of age on it and to me is starting to develop a nice richness.
Slow is the way to go. Relights are OK just don't fry it.

After I let the flake dry I fold it loosely and place it in the pipe, about a quarter of the way in i start wiggling the flake just a lil to just barely loosen the flake and promote good airflow for combustion.
It also helps make sure i leave room for a bit of expansion.

A lot of times I will prep a pipe of flake @
5 a.m. for smoking around 8-9 p.m.

Eulogy

Smoking the Dunhill Flake now, I'm enjoying it. Probably dried it more than I needed to, but so far I'm really enjoying the flake.
As long as it doesn’t crumble into snuff it’s fine. It’s good to play with the moisture a little to see how it changes the profile. FVF, Silver Flake, and BBF I enjoy very dry. Most of the GH flakes need to be crispy before I want to smoke them.

Mrm1775

Smoking the Dunhill Flake now, I'm enjoying it. Probably dried it more than I needed to, but so far I'm really enjoying the flake.
If you're enjoying it and its providing a good smoke - you dried it just right.

@Eulogy is on point - different levels of hydration provide different profiles, sometimes the difference is meh vs wow (especially flakes).

Glad to hear you're liking the Dunhill, but thats no surprise..
What I sent has a few years on it.
Sadly Dunhill is gone, Peterson picked up the line and its pretty good with Peterson's name on it too.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Maybe a tad more drying, when everything is right it is very flavorful.
I think FVF is one of the flakes that needs to be smoked even slower then the rest. You get nice flavor
pretty early on, but the cooler it is, the more flavor you get. So sometimes you think you've got the flavor
and there's still a lot more hidden in there.

Mind you: relights are your friend with flakes. I'd rather have to relight 15 times than
smoke a lot of hot air with no flavor. That being said: if you get the relights not because you
sipp it slowly, but because it won't stay lit: dry it more.

FVF will let you know if it's too moist pretty soon, because it will scorch your tongue if wet.

Yakster

Patron
I enjoyed both the SG FVF and the Dunhill Flake. I didn't get any tongue bite with the FVF, but a bit with the Dunhill.

When I was folding then trying to roll the Dunhill the flake didn't crumble but more like broke into the separate vertical strands or fibers. I did the best that I could and put the flake in but I could tell that I needed more tobacco so I got another flake out and bunched up the half twigs and stuffed it in the pipe.

The draw with the Dunhill was nice and loose until near the end when I tamped it too much and plugged it. I tried blowing out to free the plug and showered my bare leg with some burning tobacco, but it only stung, didn't burn or melt any more holes in my clothes.

I may try these again on a day when I'm not smoking cigars to make sure that my palate is more sensitive. When I go to a coffee shop I like to get a coffee and a straight espresso shot, but since the coffee generally takes about five minutes to prepare I ask them to charge me for the shot but let me drink or start drinking the coffee first; that way I have a chance at tasting the delicate nuances of the coffee before blasting my senses with a concentrated shot of espresso. I'm thinking I need to do something similar with the pipe tobacco and cigars.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I may try these again on a day when I'm not smoking cigars to make sure that my palate is more sensitive.
Now that I'm on my pc I can comment a little more on that.

I usually do that with any tobacco if I am planning on smoking more than one pipe. I learned that from a buddy who is
a sommelier (wine and spirits stewart with a degree): your palate will get tired, so if you want to taste nuances, you
have to go from light to strong. that's especially true with drinks that have high alcohol or acid or with tobacco products,
because those tire your palate more than other things.

drinking water and eating something that contains sat (cheese) will freshen up your palate a little,
but the effects are minor.

Greenbriar

Now that I'm on my pc I can comment a little more on that.

I usually do that with any tobacco if I am planning on smoking more than one pipe. I learned that from a buddy who is
a sommelier (wine and spirits stewart with a degree): your palate will get tired, so if you want to taste nuances, you
have to go from light to strong. that's especially true with drinks that have high alcohol or acid or with tobacco products,
because those tire your palate more than other things.

drinking water and eating something that contains sat (cheese) will freshen up your palate a little,
but the effects are minor.
I was at a wine tasting once and they used unflavored carbonated water As a palate cleanser and I was surprised with how well it worked

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I was at a wine tasting once and they used unflavored carbonated water As a palate cleanser and I was surprised with how well it worked
with wine, it works pretty well.

the way they explained it to me is: there are substances that numb your taste buds. One of them is alcohol. The higher the percentage of
alcohol in a drink, the stronger the numbing effect.

This also means that having a strong alcoholic drink with your smoke will change your palate. Some of the nuances
of the tobacco will be lost, while adding others flavors from the drink that might linger.

I believe that's why some people prefer to drink tee or coffee (or something else) with their smoke and will
have a drink after the smoke.

carbonated drinks are acidic so if you're trying to cleanse your palate, you shouldn't reach for those either.