So tired of getting sniped.

SwampWeed

Black Twist & Black Beer
Patron
Sales
Those auctions that keep getting extended by bids can suck it. I won't even bother frequenting those sites. I'd rather get sniped than fart around with them.

Don't suppose you've ever been to a live auction?

I guess my biggest issue here is that I used to love live auctions. Where people interacted in a community setting. Guess I'm just getting old. Gotta accept the robot overlords at some point. 😂

eBay is a closed auction format. I understand that. If people simply entered their high bid, there would be no point in sniping. So I would hazard a guess and say that the "set it and forget it" method of buying is not natural to the human condition. It's naive. You don't want to be the highest bid - you want to be the highest bid before time runs out

Again, seems like if I was a seller, I'd want the absolute high bid not the highest one to beat the clock. eBay sellers should boycott. 😁

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I'll be damned
Sales
Doesn't the highest bid still win no matter how many snipers there are and even if you are sniping yourself? Is there something beyond the simple proposition that if you really want something, you've got to bid more than you think other people are willing to pay?
Ebay's extremely stupid system encourages people to get into a frenzy of sorts, placing multiple bids and watching auctions

Sniping completely removes temptation. You set it once and walk away. And, since your bid is invisible until the end of the auction, you do not egg on the others, either.

Zeno Marx

Don't suppose you've ever been to a live auction?
I have, and it is a completely different setting and context. The few live auctions I attended didn't have infinite bidders from all over the planet. There were a couple to a handful of bidders who quickly separated the wheat from the chaff. The auctions were finished in moments. A 7-day auction goes for...well...7 days. Not 7 days etc. A live auction lasts for minutes.

It's like buying a house for me on ebay. Best and final is my only bid. I don't personally mess around with what other people are going to do. What is that pipe worth to me? It's at $10 right now, and I'm not willing to spend more than $21. Enter $21 and go about my life.

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I was outraged when sniping started about 20 years ago. The friend I was complaining to told me that it was the new reality and I should get onboard. He was right. Now if I’m serious about an auction I set up a max snipe and forget about it. Later I get an email about it. I feel a momentary sadness when I lose and it’s over. The real time bidding I do isn’t serious. I’m just hoping to get lucky. Sometimes I do.

Zeno Marx

Ebay's extremely stupid system encourages people to get into a frenzy of sorts, placing multiple bids and watching auctions
I'll never understand why people get into bidding wars, or even bother bidding, two days into a 7-day auction. Fools parting with their money, I guess. You think you're going to successfully bully the planet of bidders on day two of a 7-day auction? Are you OK?

Top Bottom